Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
2002 Vulcan Nomad FI
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fused spine and long rides (over 4 hours) really start to hurt by the 2nd and 3rd day. I'm interested in a driver's backrest and I'm hoping some of you can help me out with any experience you have.

The two I'm considering:
1) Purchasing the rear portion of the mustang seat with the built in driver's backrest (I already own a mustang seat and can just replace the back).

2) The Fire & Steel version that has the mounting plate under the passenger seat with the rod that goes around the outside of it to allow the driver to move the backrest forward and back for comfort.

3) A basic backrest like the Grasshopper

My concerns:

- Which is more comfortable?
- Will the Fire & Steel mounting rod interfere with my wife's legs & thus her comfort on those long rides? That would be a deal killer -- even if it were a little annoying.
- Will I be annoyed at the grasshopper because it doesn't adjust?

Has anyone tried multiples of these backrests and have an opinion on which is better? Frankly I think the look of the mustang seat is the best.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
You will not be able to buy just the rear part of a mustang. The backrest actually attaches to the seat at the rear part of the drivers seat. This way it can still be used if you are riding with a solo seat.

I purchase a lightly used, studed, mustang seat with a backrest for $360 shipped.

You might consider looking for a lightly used one with a backrest and selling yours. JMO

·
2002 Vulcan Nomad FI
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's true on the 1600 Nomad, but on the 1500FI Nomad the backrest is on the passenger's seat and you can purchase just the back seat. I called Mustang this morning and that's what they told me. The cost was $430 shipped.

Before I spend the $$ I just wanted any opinions about the other backrests.

How do you like your backrest? Is it worth it? Does it help with the long hauls?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just got one for my 900 not too long ago and I can tell ya...man what a difference. It's none of the high dollar ones I think its Motorcycle international or something like that.
If you got one with your back I would definitely recommend getting accustomed to watching the road and the bumps. If the back res tis rigid you will want to lean forward on some of the harder jolts. However... some decent road vibration...instant free massage!

·
1600 Nomad
147 Posts
Like others, I can only comment on what I have.

The Mustang with the backrest is awesome. It has some adjustments. Up and down mostly. But, a little bit forward and back.

Personally, I need about another inch from some risers, and it will be like riding in a Lazy Boy !

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I found one from Custom World International that fits a 900 LT. It's at the top of my wish list... I'm hoping to get it this summer. I've heard nothing but good things about driver backrests and I'm looking forward to getting it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have been using the Utopia ( Utopia Products ) Driver backrest on every cruiser I have owned for the past 12 years. They are a little more work than some to install but are great backrest and very comfortable.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Are those the ones you have to cut in yourself?
Yes, They mount to the passenger seat pan. You need to pull the cover and foam off, mount the hardware, then cut a slot through the foam and a slot in the seat cover. The backrest comes with a reinforced ring that goes around the slot in the seat cover to give it a finished look and to stop any chance of further tearing the slot.

I have installed a Utopia backrest on 5 of my bikes and it is very easy. The hardest part is to get yourself to make that first cut in the seat cover LOL.

The backrest comes with very good instructions.

The only real negative that I can think of is, because you now have a slot cut in the passenger seat, the backrest is pretty much committed to that bike. If you sell the bike the backrest goes with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
$125.00 shipped.. I also have saddlebags, mounts and passenger backrest with rack for sale. All items came off a 2008 vulcan 1500 fi

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here is food for thought. I had to install risers to get the full benefit of having a back rest because when I
leaned back on the backrest my hands would be possitioned farther away from the grips than what
I like. I am 5 11 so a taller rider may not have that problem.

I could not ride more than an hour on the stock seat.

On my Mustang seat with a back rest (and risers) I do 400-500+ mile days (about once a month) with no problems. Best money I have ever spent on mod.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have been using the Utopia ( Utopia Products ) Driver backrest on every cruiser I have owned for the past 12 years. They are a little more work than some to install but are great backrest and very comfortable.

I've got a Utopia on my Nomad, it is a little bigger than most of the others. I have a bad back as well, this really made a difference for me. I would recommend it.

·
2002 Vulcan Nomad FI
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is the Utopia adjustable at all? Would you recommend getting it with the bracket boot/cover? Does it bother the passenger at all?

Do you like that it's bigger or is that a bit of problem (if so, why)?

Thanks,
Mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts