Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on building a street tracker out of an old gpz550 I just picked up for cheap. I dont know what people are using for a triple tree setup to put regular handlebars on these bikes. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I don't know that much about it, but I'd guess easiest thing would be to get the triple tree from a KZ550. Or possibly some other 80s KZ, such as a 650 or 750. One way to check swappability is to compare tapered steering head bearings, such as the kits from All-Balls-Racing which has a cross-reference. Either find a bike that uses the exact same bearings, or find bearings that will mate the donor to your bike. Also, you should check the length of the steering head.

Some guys will upgrade the forks n stuff by installing a more modern front end. Doing so is usually a matter of finding bearings that will mate the new stuff to the old & also sometimes there is some machine work needed on the donor triple if the steering stem triple is too long.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Or check to see if the upper triple could be swapped out. Among other things, you'd have to figure out if the GPz meter bracket will fit the donor triple. Or look into handlebar risers, but as you know the GPz bars attach differently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no access to a lathe or mill as Im at school out of state and in a dorm. I've seen several gpz's with regular handlebars on them so I know it can be done without extensive modifying. Does anybody know if a certain year kz's triple tree will work as a at least close to plug n play? Thanks for your help martin, I appreciate your knowledge.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Maybe try asking in the Vintage section. In the mean time you could compare upper triples on eebbaayy.
For diagram reference Kawasaki.com or partzilla et al.

The 81 550 GPz has regular handlebars & it has the same meter bracket as the 82, and the 81 also has a similar front fork & headlight setup, so I'd guess that would be the closest match.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

Any luck with the street tracker conversion?

I have a 1984 GPZ 550 and I'd also like to change the clip ons for a tubular handlebar. There are handlebar conversion kits out there, but I can't find any for this particular model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts