Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have heard many diff. opinions on the topic of which 1st bike to get and am just looking for some more I suppose. I have raced dirtbikes/snowmobiles/4 wheelers for about 20 of my 24 yrs on this earth. . .some of these machines pushing 300hp (snowmobiles). Also, a cousin of mine who grew up in the same lifestyle of me has been riding sportbikes (races semi-pro in new england as well) for about 10 years now. He told me I would be fine getting a 1000, as long as I treated it with the utmost respect. My cousin said he bought a zx6r and went to a 1000 after about a year of riding. I have ridden road bikes before, not a superbike tho. Would it really be stupid of me to get an 04 zx10 ?

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
With your riding experience on other machines I wouldn't be hesitant to recommend a superbike as your first street machine, as I would someone with little or limited experience. You have an idea of what these machines are capable of with the slightest twist of the wrist, so you should know how to properly respect the power. However, riding on the street is completely different than the dirt, so I would suggest that if you go with that sweet ZX-10R that you don't think about testing its capabilities until you're comfortable on pavement and in traffic.

Also, unless cash is in unlimited supply you'll want to consider the cost to ride a bike like that. For me even at 34 years old, spotless driving record and excellent credit, the cost to insure a ZX-10R is nothing to scoff at, so I can only imagine with it will be like for you at your age.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that. But trees arent forgiving when you are going 130mph on a 3ft wide track. I've had an enduro which obv has nowhere near the amount of power as a sportbike, but still pushed 85ish on pavement.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Really, just be honest with yourself about your riding skills and ability to properly respect this kind of machine. It takes a great deal of restraint and discipline to safely ride a supersport, so if there's any doubt then you probably shouldn't consider it.

Talk to a few people who have experience riding the ZX-10. There are a few members here who I'm sure will chime in sooner or later.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Trees don't move, everything on the road does. It seems you have some respect for the power curve, and you have been riding things of that nature. But street riding is a different ballgame as Bennice said.

·
My money pit.....
512 Posts
Should you, no. Are you going to, yes. You probably already made up your mind and was hoping for someone to support your decision. Listen, it's all up to you so if you want it, go for it but you really SHOULD listen to what people have said about the 1000's. They are very powerful bikes and are not for a first time sport bike rider. Whatever you decide to do, be safe. I really hope you think this through.

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
Don't know why not.?
Nobody here knows what you're comfortable riding. If you want a 10, get a 10, it's a great bike.
If you're a smart rider you'll be fine, if not, it could be risky.
This is a dangerous sport/hobby we choose. Some will be injured, others will lose their lives. It happens. Just try not to be a statistic.

Some of the people who will try to give you advice have never ridden a true sportbike.

·
T,J&R 4ever
1,369 Posts
get what ever you want the amount of power you use is completely up to you

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Are you able to take the 10 out for a test drive? You might want to try it out before you buy it. With your background I don't think you would have much problem with the transition, but riding in traffic is something you must get used to. Bennice had a great point though, what is insurance going to cost you on that little lightning bolt?

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Sounds like you're asking if we think you should be able to handle a sportbike. From what you say, I'd say most likely. It is a different environment as it has been stated. Tree's, rocks, boulders, bushes, creeks/streams, are not in compitition for your space as other drivers seem to be. It can take some getting use to, so alot of awareness, and being alert of what other people might do. Check insurance and into a MSF course, get to know your new bike before you go full on public. My opinion is a road bike is a road bike, some can get you in or out of trouble easier than others. I've never ridden dirt but have ridden street bikes since 65 without incident, but I'm sure my time will come. I have the Z1000, and the Zx10 is alot faster, too much for me. Good luck, be safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate everyone giving their feedback. I'm not def. going to buy a zx10r, but it is one of the bikes I am really looking into.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
If you rode dirt, you have to know throttle control. As others have said, the streets are different. But, having said that, doesn't matter what size bike you ride on the street. You will have to learn how to deal with all the idiots who are trying to kill you. The ZX10, if you do indeed have the experience, will be no more deadly than a smaller bike on the street.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I appreciate everyone giving their feedback. I'm not def. going to buy a zx10r, but it is one of the bikes I am really looking into.
After you get that new bad boy, I want you to watch this video before each ride. (I posted this on the another thread but wasn't sure you would see it)

motorcycle video

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well as a cruiser guy I can not give you advice about the bike you are looking at, But I did want to say what ever you choice , just be safe, and be careful!

·
Registered
136 Posts
That bike can get you close to triple digits in a Mcdonalds parking lot. no matter how much restraint you think you have, its not enough.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
There are many ways of committing financial or physical suicide. Any super bike as a first on the road qualifies. Let's look at it another way. If you were planning to hunt trophy deer and the first time out you got the biggest with the finest antlers ever seen. You might as well sell your gear and do something else. Smaller bikes have a lot to offer too. Just my 2 cents. Oh and I am one who has never ridden a sport bike on the road.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Just make sure you figure the cost of ownership. Such as any plastic you may have to replace if you bung it up, and also the cost of insurance.

Many young riders spend nearly as much on insurance as they do on the bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts