Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Some of the best protection out there. I've heard nothing but the best about these pieces. It comes with a pretty steep price too, but your hide is worth it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes. I have the same suit and color as what you've posted. They're expensive, but they just might save your ability to walk. I took one spill back in 2001, landed on knees, elbows, wrists, and toes (as if in a crawling position) and the armor protected my joints very well. I ended up with just a stubbed toe.

I don't know what would be better for the money, or even as good. Certainly if you like a different look, you can get a jacket/pants combo. Maybe even one of those Kilimanjaro type jackets that make you look like you're on safari. Whatever look you choose, having armor in the key places is very important. You never know when you might need it.

There are downsides to the Roadcrafter that I wish they would address, for when I need a new one I will consider other brands as well. First is that though they say "it is a suitcase you can wear" and point to all the pockets, the thing is, the pockets generally lay very flat and do not expand much. So you might have 8-9 pockets but few hold anything of any significant thickness.

Second, waterproofing. It is waterproof - for a couple hours. After that you get wet. That is, IMO, the dirty secret of Gore-Tex. It isn't really water proof. After washing you have to treat it with silicone spray, and you know, you can make paper waterproof if you encase it in silicone. So I'm not really sold on GoreTex at all. It is OK for a short rain but if you're caught traveling in a day-long rain you need PVC raingear (the yellow suits you can get at Home Depot).

Third: though you can ride with vented legs, using the ankle snaps and letting the inside zipper be open, I've had my snaps break off. They are so strong the M/F ends sometimes don't separate and the snap itself just breaks off. So I don't use the leg venting anymore.

Four: it doesn't get clean after awhile. I have about 12,000 miles on my suit and it just shows a bit of grime. Washing does not help. Maybe I need to use some Simple Green in the wash...

BUT... I might get one again. There's something to be said for top-quality protection, great visibility, and easy-on/off. I think doing separate pants and jacket would be a pain in the butt, and would tempt me to ride w/o armored pants more often.

If $$ is an issue check ebay or newenough.com for used Roadcrafters. There are often good ones out there for a lot less $$. And they won't have gummed-up carbs, either. :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yep.

Seen many people swear by them, expensive yes... but worth the money.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so the only bad thing about this suit is that it isn't completely water proof?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts