Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has information on an aftermarket/crate motor engine swap out on a 81 440 LTD. Or knows what engine size and brand would get me as close to a drop in as possible with minimal fabracation.
The stock enigine needs a complete rebuild, carbs and all.
Thinking of doing the rebuild on the stock engine, but was wondering what other options I had in doing some transforming.
Any thoughts and or info would be great.
Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As someone who enyjoys fabricating and makeing something out of nothing I truly find it hard to believe that there are Zero options when it comes to installing a different engine in a 440kz frame.
I understand that you may have to change out the trans also.
I am just wondering what other engines will fit in the frame.
I came across another thread in the forum here about someone who put a 550Gpz engine in a kz frame.
Thanks again.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
That would be a 4 cylinder swap which was / is pretty common. I've not heard of any direct bolt in replacements for your bike. Maybe another twin of similar size could be adapted. The 750 twin is too tall to fit in your frame. You might want to measure up other metric make twins of similar size. PM me if you'd be interested in a forum more directed to your bike.

·
Registered
393 Posts
As someone who enyjoys fabricating and makeing something out of nothing I truly find it hard to believe that there are Zero options when it comes to installing a different engine in a 440kz frame.
I understand that you may have to change out the trans also.
I am just wondering what other engines will fit in the frame.
I came across another thread in the forum here about someone who put a 550Gpz engine in a kz frame.
Thanks again.
you say you understand the trans may have to be replaced too.the trans is in the same cases as the rest of the motor so if you change the motor the trans is going to be replaced at the same time.the only other kaw motors that would fit are the kz400 and maybe the kz305.either way you are losing performance rebuild what you have or find a kz550 they are a really good bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping that a 550 would fit into the 440 frame, or maybe a small aftermarket twin.
Guess I'll have to do a little more searching.
But at the moment the cheapest and easy thing to do would be a rebuild.
thanks for the info.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
Sonny just wants everyone to RIDE, as opposed to having you waste all summer in the garage building an abortion. Any professional mechanic worth his/her salt would make the same recommendation. Unless it is a DIRECT bolt in like a KZ750 four into a KZ650 or a CB1100F into a CB750 DOHC.

·
Rider
561 Posts
What engine swap did you do? And I'll assume you're talking about the 750E in your signature.
I'm swapping a ZX9R engine into my KZ750. (The engine died last year right before Laconia bike week. The carbs were rebuilt and jetted. A Vance and Hines 4-1 exhaust added and my mechanic didn't tune it correctly). Instead of boring it out to an 810, I'm pulling it for an 9R engine. Yes, it'll probably take a while, but I have a KZ440 to ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was hoping that a 550 would fit into the 440 frame, or maybe a small aftermarket twin.
Guess I'll have to do a little more searching.
But at the moment the cheapest and easy thing to do would be a rebuild.
thanks for the info.
Hi did you ever get an answer on this? I am thinking about putting a kz550 engine into my kz440 but if it requires a lot of modifications to fit it then I will go with other options.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
A 550 engine is too wide for the 440 frame. You can look at EB pics to compare for yourself >> the 440 engine is narrower where the Fr engine mounts are located.

·
Registered
726 Posts
In general; most everything is possible if throwing in enough time, money, and resources...…. It does not mean is practical. …...Buying another bike is much less of a hassle than trying a swap a different engine...….but if all of the above mentioned is available and is being done for the sake of a project....then by all means.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
By Hugojose: In general; most everything is possible if throwing in enough time, money, and resources...…. It does not mean is practical. ....

I've seen a KZ650 with a KZ900 engine, so yes, just about anything is possible with enough determination. hee. I'm pretty sure the 650 frame had to be modified. and it looked like the engine was shoe-horned in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts