Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around the web at aftermarket air filters for the 1600 & have not been able to get a good clear idea of what's avaible & what kind of preformance gains you can expect from them.

However, I want something that opens up the intake so the Vulcan can really breathe (We live above 6,000 feet) but at the same time is rain safe.

What's all avaible & are any better than another? I've been running K&N filters in the car & trucks for years & also had them in the old Suzuki 850.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FILTERS

RampRat, K&N is a great product and you can use the same cleaner and oil...once you get the bike broke in you can change over to synthetic oil...
You know this from the USAF (I was Navy), but Documentation is key with aircraft automobiles even bikes to see what and when, where and how often...a profile of how long you can go on plugs, different fuels, different oils...tires...a LOGBOOK starting with you bike Serial Numbers, engine numbers key numbers, dealership your information, date of purchase, insurance company...sure you can print out a hard copy for your book and have it to present to the dealer if you are having a serious problem and he won't believe or understand it...but documentation is the key to the puzzle sometimes...like a defective clutch or whatever...just keep logs, make notes of your manual pages and post notes in your book as well on your computer... I just watched Steel Dreams last night and thy had the Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Ride of the West...awesome roads there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've been looking for the same for my '04 1600. Nothing yet. K&N doesn't make one and I haven't found a conversion kit to change it to one they do make. If you find one, let me know and I'll do the same if I find one :wink:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OK

I spent my time off shore on a rescue salvage ship 1972. and pulling barges of munitions way out into the ocean, adn then returning. My worst case was not Namm. once surrounded by South Korean gunboats, off shore of land...sorta drifting around with some "special" divers under water...and one typhoon that almost wiped us out and damned near sank us while trying to get a USNS un-named full of munitions off of a reef......

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, was stumped trying to find just a plain old K&N filter.

I've been looking at the Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger, the Thunder Manufacturing Air Kit and the Baron’s BAK. http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/list.cfm?del_ID=67&category_ID=86 http://www.baronscustom.com/_EACC4123-D6E8-FA5B-96C1-F8CEBDD53092/html/catalog/browse/kawasaki/1600classic/PI and http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle-performance-accessories/kuryakyn-hyper-charger-air-cleaner-metric-cruiser.htm but don't know much about them & what kind of preformance gains & how weather tight they are.

Any thoughts about these???

ZX-2R, we're about as far away from Jackson hole as you can get in WY. Not a lot of mountians around here unless you head down into Colorado. I spent 3 years on Okinawa & travaled all around PACAF.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

hang on guys-the k&n element will be released in the next few months from what i'm told
so i'm just going to wait for it :wink:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
hang on guys-the k&n element will be released in the next few months from what i'm told
so i'm just going to wait for it :wink:
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
30 Posts
FYI - For my 800, I just went on K&N and found a custom sized filter that I think I'm going to like. It's the RC-2880 and it will clamp right on to my carb. I measured the carb air-intake hole (2 1/4") and then browsed the K&N site using that as my starting point. I really just wanted to get rid of the big breather that is on the bike and get something that takes up less space. This one is round and pie shaped, and has the chrome top. I got it at performanceintl.com They had free shipping and all of their prices were about $20 less than you'll find anywhere else. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts