Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a new zx-6r and I'm looking at getting a slip on exhaust for under 500 dollars, but the ones that I've found don't really add much performance according to the spec sheets. We're talking like 5-7hp gain and maybe 1-2lb/ft of torque. Is this really even worth the investment? I've seen some full exhaust systems that add about 15 hp or so but theyre in the 1000 dollar range. Any advice/ suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I just got a new zx-6r and I'm looking at getting a slip on exhaust for under 500 dollars, but the ones that I've found don't really add much performance according to the spec sheets. We're talking like 5-7hp gain and maybe 1-2lb/ft of torque. Is this really even worth the investment? I've seen some full exhaust systems that add about 15 hp or so but theyre in the 1000 dollar range. Any advice/ suggestions? Thanks.
I'm not sure about the 6r but I know on the 14 the OEM cans weigh a ton (well, actually, somewhere around 30 pounds). So, you might also gain a little performance by the weight reduction. BTW, If you do go with the full system, you'll probably also have to have someone who knows what they are doing to re-tune it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I suppose I dont NEED the extra HP but I just thought that if im spending close to 500 dollars on an exhaust that maybe it should be offer a little bit more of a performance boost.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
With the exception of a full exhaust system, everything else you can do to a bike will only give you small gains in HP. If you don't like the OEM exhaust (sound or appearance), then go for it. I'll never touch the motor or change the air filter because I think those two things can have a negative impact to how many miles I get out of the bike long-term. I plan on getting a track bike after the first of the year so I stop beating up this bike. I'll do everything I can do increase the HP on that one because I'll actually be able to utilize that power and take advantage of my investment, while it's useless to do 99% of that stuff to your daily bike.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
i'll be getting a slip on for my RR at some point in the new year.

but it'll mostly be for sound and looks.

a 600 supersport has more than enough power for me! With 110bhp already i don't really need much more to make me grin.

But the stock pipe really does sound muted, and they do weigh a ton, and don't always look great.

a full system will get you the best performance if you plan on racing or doing lots of track time, but i personally don't think a full system is worth it if you're not gonna be doing lots of timed track sessions or racing.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
first advantage is weight loss...stock exhaust is heavy
second, in case of 14 and soon other bike...cats are in the exhausts,
so with aftermarket bike runs cooler, and cooler means a larger delta T, ie more hp..
third...5-7 rear wheel is like a 5 % gain....races are won on 5% hp...
plus you are only accounting for the exhaust gain with stock filter and fuel delivery...add a proper map and proper free flowing filter...more gain
last...a full system is usually designed for racing, ie upper 1/3 of the fpm range....slip ons offer advantages with out sacraficing streetability...not as much top end gain, but look at the torque curves for midrange (aka streetability)...

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
but then again...who the f*** am I, just some areospace engineer and physicist!
I trhought you were just some wierdo from Texas? :lol:

Personally speaking, when I eventually get around to replacing my stock exhaust it will be for two reasons. 1. sound, and 2. weight reduction. I'm already sitting atop a bottle rocket, so more power isn't really the numero uno reason for swapping pipes.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Over the years, other than the looks/sound, I've found that if you want more HP, buy a bigger bike. In your case, a GSXR750 is almost as light and makes more power. The rest is in your mind. A truely skilled rider on a 250 can run with 600s on some tracks. Mainly because a lot of bike riders don't know how to get the most out of them.

·
I ride what I like
389 Posts

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
I trhought you were just some wierdo from Texas? :lol:

Personally speaking, when I eventually get around to replacing my stock exhaust it will be for two reasons. 1. sound, and 2. weight reduction. I'm already sitting atop a bottle rocket, so more power isn't really the numero uno reason for swapping pipes.
On the 14, the cats are in the pipes, number on ereason to swap, besides teh wieght savings, is to get the cats out...the bike runs much much cooler...which is super important on a 95F 99% day down here

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.