Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondered what some of your thoughts were on this subject
I read all kinds of different articles and personal opinions about aftermarket exhausts and how either there good bad or ugly and so on
I have personaly ran allot of bikes...either stock or modified in some witch way or another and i havent realy noticed a change in performance
Granted i have always owned what some would call smaller bikes from a 125..
to a 350 but still not really any increase in power or fuel economy....I have 2 basically go by the feal.( i dont own a dyno)....
and i also understand theres allot you can do 2 add hp.
bore cylenders ,shave the head, 3 angle valve job, port and pollish,rejet carbs....or even get bigger carbs,air filter, etc.....
theres not realy mutch on a stock exhaust 2 restrict flow.
pipes come out, they bend, then theres the muffler(can)..... thats all

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
It depends on the bike and the pipe: on my 1979 KZ-750 twin, way back in 1982 I bought a kerker/clone 2-1 and it definitely increased HP in the main band (about 3k to 7k).

It was kind of loud, blocked the oil drain plug and the coating had to be redone regularly. So, it was PITA but gave more power. The MAC 2-1 I am now running does not increase power that I can see but is quieter and doesn't block the drain plug.

I think on newer bikes, they are so highly tweaked by the factory that there isn't a whole lot of room for improvement with aftermarket bolt on stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on the bike and the pipe: on my 1979 KZ-750 twin, way back in 1982 I bought a kerker/clone 2-1 and it definitely increased HP in the main band (about 3k to 7k).

It was kind of loud, blocked the oil drain plug and the coating had to be redone regularly. So, it was PITA but gave more power. The MAC 2-1 I am now running does not increase power that I can see but is quieter and doesn't block the drain plug.

I think on newer bikes, they are so highly tweaked by the factory that there isn't a whole lot of room for improvement with aftermarket bolt on stuff.
Its always nice 2 get other peoples experiences and opinions on these things....
I have a ex250 ninja and im running it plain stock for right now..
I see the most popular exhaust upgrade 4 it is the muzzy 2-1 and its about $400 .....(I wold thinck the people at kawasaki woul put this on as factory if it makes that big of a difference) Personally i thinck the stock duel exhaust woud flow better......
then you have the slip on exhaust tips with costs just about, or even more than the muzzy full exhaust......with the slip ons,all i thinck it would change is the sound.....thats a big price 2 pay just for tone...

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Its always nice 2 get other peoples experiences and opinions on these things....
I have a ex250 ninja and im running it plain stock for right now..
I see the most popular exhaust upgrade 4 it is the muzzy 2-1 and its about $400 .....(I wold thinck the people at kawasaki woul put this on as factory if it makes that big of a difference) Personally i thinck the stock duel exhaust woud flow better......
then you have the slip on exhaust tips with costs just about, or even more than the muzzy full exhaust......with the slip ons,all i thinck it would change is the sound.....thats a big price 2 pay just for tone...
I wonder how much it would add to it. Stock exhausts these days are pretty good.

2-1 headers are a royal PITA. Wait until you have to force it around the frame and then fight it onto the head. I used to have to take the front fender off mine to get enough room.

The MAC 2-1 solves that proble by making it a two piece header set into the canister.... so it leaks like crazy at the joints.

If you want to maximize performance, I think you have to get the whole system which is tuned to the engine. Hanging somebody else's can on the end may not be better than what you have.

Personally i thinck the stock duel exhaust woud flow better......
Not if the 2-1 is designed right. It creates a tuned flow aperture which actually helps draw the exhaust out when the exhaust valve opens and increases the velocity of the air-fuel mix which slams more into the cylinder when the intake valve opens. That stuff is all black magic. But, "lowering the backpressure" is definitely not always an improvement. Sometimes narrowing the diameter of the flow tube (which increases the velocity) gets you where you want to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts