Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate wire wheels...my 04 Vulcan 1500 Classic has wire wheels. I would like to eventually get one piece cut wheels for it but is this possible with the driveshaft driven rearend???? I also would like to put a wider swingarm and rear wheel/tire..but anyone have any idea if this is possible or what it would take to do this. PLZZZZ help..any idea or imput appreciated...THANKS

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I hope you have deeeeeeeeeep pockets....
+100000000000000000000000000000

It astounds me how much it costs just for one! You can get a really nice set for your car for the price of one MC wheel. :mad: But, we pay it so why lower the prices. :|

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
I've seen a couple recently on ebay. keep an eye out!
from what I understand any of the same year nomad will fit
96 - 05 I believe? but verify to be sure

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I have looked into this a bit. I have a 96 classic and I don't much care for wires either. Not sure, but you should have the same setup as I do. The 3.5 inch wheel doesn't leave much in the form of options for a wider tire. A wider wheel is needed. This means after market.....and as 'Jax said, requires deep pockets. As far as size, it looks like a 180 would be about max without modifying the swingarm. It's all about how much you want to go through to achieve a wider rear tire. My plan is to use a 5.5 inch wheel blank and machine an adapter to my present hub in the rear and a new hub for the front. Even at that, with me being able to CNC what I need for free, it will cost around 900 to do both wheels and tires. Aftermarket bolt on wheels and tires would be in the 2500 and up range. There is no easy answer. If you hate them that bad, maybe you need a different bike. I know that's not what you want to hear, but just reality.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
1500 nomad wheels will fit it. You just have to swap the brake rotor. I have a rear wheel in my garage if you're interested. I had put it on my 1500 classic, but the guy I sold it to preferred the wire wheels.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
1500 nomad wheels will fit it. You just have to swap the brake rotor. I have a rear wheel in my garage if you're interested. I had put it on my 1500 classic, but the guy I sold it to preferred the wire wheels.

It's still a 3.5 wheel, though, right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buchanan Spokes can lace a new wider rim to your wire hub. You can also increase from a 16" to an 18" if you choose to. This is the route I am going. I am going to have a 5" rim laced up but keep it at a 16" wheel. Price of finished wheel will be under $500. You can also have Wheel-Works seal your spoked rim for less than $100 and run a tubeless tire. I plan to mod my swingarm just a little and run a 180mm tire.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Buchanan Spokes can lace a new wider rim to your wire hub. You can also increase from a 16" to an 18" if you choose to. This is the route I am going. I am going to have a 5" rim laced up but keep it at a 16" wheel. Price of finished wheel will be under $500. You can also have Wheel-Works seal your spoked rim for less than $100 and run a tubeless tire. I plan to mod my swingarm just a little and run a 180mm tire.
That sounds like the most practical idea.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW you guys are blowing me away...I am a pretty mechanical guy..I can do all the basics but when it comes to internal engine and tranny stuff I get scared and let someone else do that stuff...I don't know what ur talking about there with the lacing and sealing your spoked wheel? dunno what any that is.

Thanks everyone for the input and info...yea I knew it was gonna be pricey but thats not my biggest concern...just want to make sure that this is gonna be ok if I change them out...its not gonna cause any probs with wheels. Then is there a way I can use the hubs from my factory wheels and incorperate them into a machined wheel??? My family owns a machine shop too...they might be about to take aftermarket wheels...machine them out and insert the hubs from these wheels into them....whats thought on that????

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Owwww yea then another thing...what really gets me I don't understnad...now mine is driveshaft drive....how can u widen the swingarm and everthing...u will change the pitch of the driveshaft...its not like a 4x4 truck u have some room to play in driveshaft...its short...so how does that work???? can u widen swingarm on this model??? how does that play into it.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Owwww yea then another thing...what really gets me I don't understnad...now mine is driveshaft drive....how can u widen the swingarm and everthing...u will change the pitch of the driveshaft...its not like a 4x4 truck u have some room to play in driveshaft...its short...so how does that work???? can u widen swingarm on this model??? how does that play into it.
Actually........."widening" the swing arm is not the proper term............"clearancing" the swing arm would be more proper. My bike is a swingarm '96 1500....I did some measuring and it is tight with a 180. One shock would have to be removed to install the tire and maybe some grinding on the right side so the wheel hub could be engaged. A 200 is another matter.....serious grinding of the swingarm with possibly some welded support to put some strength back where metal was removed. The tire would have to be installed with the gear case installed........I doubt if you could install it in the conventional manner. It looks like a 200 is the absolute max for fender clearance also. I guess it all depends on how bad you want it a wide tire.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
Yea well go click on Kaw wheel selector and then go to Vulcan 1500 Classic...guess what...you can't even click on it..its listed but not able to select it. So does this mean they don't make wheels for my 1500??

Bummer, it used to work as I had looked up wheels for my 1500 Classic way back when. Guess they've either got a problem with the website or they don't do wheels for the 1500 any more, which would be a shame.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well got some great new from RC Components...they do make several wheels for my Vulcan Classic. there must be something wrong with the website since the links not working...but he sent me a direct link to the Vulcan wheels to look at. All the wheel designs are the same price regardless of design or style. He sent me a list of the wheels they make for mine so I could check them out. I think I like the ones called Slash. You can get them in a polished aluminum which is bit cheaper a set...$1800 or in there 7 yr warrentee chromed aluminum for like $2500. But no matter which set I choice they are all the same price for the std replacement size. Thanks to everyone for the help. I think I will be buying them come closer to spring. here is the direct link to the Vulcan Classic wheels. Some reason the link from their site dont work. Kawaski Vulcan 1500 Classic Chrome Wheels - RC Components, Inc

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Well, like someone said...........they are available, but pricey.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts