Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know there's been about a million threads about carbs and cleaning and synching and such, but I'm a little apprehensive about cleaning the carbs on my daily driver because........well I need it to drive me places. I ride a 1982 KZ750 CSR and I just bought a carb rebuild kit. I noticed I was getting some slight flat spots and some lag on the throttle. This coupled with what appears to be a sticky float bowl and I figured I need to get the ol' Black Kaw runnin' proper. Here's the rub: I basically need to know some words of wisdom and advice. This pretty much has to be a weekend job ( I need to ride to school on Friday and Monday). What sorts of things would be deal breakers as far as my schedule goes? Am I being completely unrealistic?

Comfort me,
Marcus

·
Registered
459 Posts
Try some Sea Foam in the tank first. It will do a pretty fair job on cleaning out the carbs and cylinders. Many use it on a regular basis to keep down or eliminate any buildups of carbon, moisture and gunk in the carb. It is available at NAPA Parts stores and others that may be specific to your region. If that doesn't work, a rebuild may be in order. Go the conservative route first.
Ride safely.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I agree with the SeaFoam first. You can always dig deeper later.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Marcus,
First off, "Welcome, Welcome!"
Secondly.........
Definately try the seafoam as the others have suggested before tearing those carbs down. Trust me, I'm in the middle of doing mine, actually putting her back together today and tomorrow, and if it could have been avoided, I certainly would have. If it doesn't clear up after the seafoam, check back in here and we'll let Knightrider and QKENUF help ya more than we have! :wink: :grin:
Take Care, Best of luck with the seafoam!
Chromequeen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts