Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acceleration is fun, but it's not as easy on a motorcycle as say in.... a car.
Whenever I accelerate, it sometimes seems almost treacherous whenever I shift. Especially between 1st and 2nd. How do you guys do it? Does anyone else have a hard time switching gears while trying to maintain maximum acceleration?

My real problem is still being able to grip the handles properly while reaching for the clutch, especially if my wheel gets into the air at any point while accelerating, and sometimes I find it easier to just do a clutchless shift, but that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone know how I can combat this?

·
ATGATT
2,227 Posts
I only use the clutch for taking off and downshifting.
Same here...for everyone i know of that rides sports or supersports, they only use the clutch while stopped or when downshifting. Other than that, it's let off the throttle just a hair and put it into the next gear...on my 636...it sucked when shifting from 1st to 2nd at anything less than 5k rpm...

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
What are you riding?
Typically, I'm in at least 2nd gear already, but yeah - the shift between 1st and 2nd gives a bit more of a "jerk" than between any others. That applies to all the bikes I've ever ridden. However, I don't have a problem with the front wheel going skyward under normal circumstances.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I only use the clutch for taking off and downshifting.
Ok dumb question forthcoming... Is that bad for the bike? I've noticed how much smoother acceleration is without the clutch, but I've been reluctant for fear of any long term damage. Am I seeing ghosts here?

gracias.

·
ATGATT
2,227 Posts
From what I've been told...no, it's supposedly how they were designed?! I can't say for sure because I don't know either...but it's much smooter without the clutch to me...however, I rode a Honda 1300 cruiser not too long ago and it seemed jerky without the clutch and smooth with it...soo...?!

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
Ok dumb question forthcoming... Is that bad for the bike? I've noticed how much smoother acceleration is without the clutch, but I've been reluctant for fear of any long term damage. Am I seeing ghosts here?

gracias.
as long as you are doing it correctly there will be no damage. do it wrong and you can end up with bent shift forks, damaged shifter drum, damaged gears. do it at your own risk. maybe borrow a friends bike to learn it on. LOL

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds good to me. Just grip the handles hard, and go all out. It really is smooth, and I think it's fine for the bike, so long as you don't accelerate while shifting (let go of the throttle). Then again it could be that the bikes are actually designed that way, in that the gears are aligned the way the gears on a bicycle align, so you can easily pedal from the large gear down to the lower gear almost seamlessly while the engine is running.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
That sounds good to me. Just grip the handles hard, and go all out. It really is smooth, and I think it's fine for the bike, so long as you don't accelerate while shifting (let go of the throttle). Then again it could be that the bikes are actually designed that way, in that the gears are aligned the way the gears on a bicycle align, so you can easily pedal from the large gear down to the lower gear almost seamlessly while the engine is running.
wrong
don't hold on hard, think baby chicks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
the first thing i thought when you say youre having trouble with gripping the handles while trying to grab the clutch is that your holding onto the bars too hard... grip the tank with your knees more and youre hands/arms wont have to work so hard... then all your hands will need to do is crank the accelerator and grab the clutch while upshifting/brake or clutch ofr downshifting while slowing...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Yes, the shift from 1st to 2nd is more "problematic" than all the other gears.

I ALWAYS use the clutch when upshifting (a question which is going to lead me to my next poll :biggrin:), and if I'm not careful to give the shift lever a good hard kick, I hear the tranny "rattling" as the cogs fight to gain traction one with the other. I'm sure this does the tranny no good :lol:

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
You will get used to it...Then again to alleviate the slow take off, get a 10R...Seriously, I have no issue taking off and aggressively shifting through the gears...I have one 180 degree on ramp turn to get to the highway...1st, 2nd, 3rd, (if clear I go 4th and start cruising) gone....One friend is silly quick shifting through...I'm a clutch user and take off pretty quick but in traffic, that can not always be the case.

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
You will get used to it...Then again to alleviate the slow take off, get a 10R...Seriously, I have no issue taking off and aggressively shifting through the gears...I have one 180 degree on ramp turn to get to the highway...1st, 2nd, 3rd, (if clear I go 4th and start cruising) gone....One friend is silly quick shifting through...I'm a clutch user and take off pretty quick but in traffic, that can not always be the case.
there is no need to change gears is there? just twist the throttle! I mean the gears are so tall!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts