Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was lying on the ground next to my bike trying to get the coil cover back on (can't get the screw hole to line up) when I looked at the front fender. This is what I found:

So that's awesome. Should I just be able to sand the rust lightly, get some touch-up type primer, touch it up with touch up paint, and expect it to last?

Grrr...

I guess this is what you find when you buy a used bike.

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
So, I was lying on the ground next to my bike trying to get the coil cover back on (can't get the screw hole to line up) when I looked at the front fender. This is what I found:

So that's awesome. Should I just be able to sand the rust lightly, get some touch-up type primer, touch it up with touch up paint, and expect it to last?

Grrr...

I guess this is what you find when you buy a used bike.
...dagnabbit..I hate it when that there happens. No sweat tho.. yup,sand it smooth and use 'rustoleum' primer and paint to git 'er done...She'll be a daisy.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My last bike had a plastic front fender and metal rear-- it spent all of it's summers outside (2001-2009), and no rust on the rear. This one has the rust on the back edge of the front fender, as in the pic, and a little rust staining on the back edge of the rear where the weld is for the fold. The rear just needs to be cleaned and waxed. After looking at the front again, I wonder if the PO dropped it and the back got scraped when it hit the ground and he started to pick it up. There was a dent on the stock exhaust to support this. No other damage though, and I hope this will be relatively easy to fix. It's not visible when the fender is on the bike, but I don't want it to get any worse.

****er.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I agree with your idea that the bike my have been dropped or he may have back into something, but if that were a plastic fender it probably would have broken, which i find worse than a scratch on the edge. Both types of fenders have there advantages.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My father got rearended on his VTX1300, w/ plastic fenders. The front and the rear both sprung back w/o breaking. The rear one is undamaged and the front is scratched a bit like my front one. They can be pretty tough.

I suppose Kawi used the metal ones on the V2K because it was/is the "flagship" motorcycle, thinking it would indicate high quality. They seem to be quite good, but right now I wish they were plastic...

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Minor stuff, really. if its just underneath like that, I would just touch it up with some black.

Otherwise, you can get color matched paint pens from color rite that work ok. I had a.........um.........incident installing pipes on my last bike, which required a paint pen to fix.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Just one more reason for me to love my plastic fenders and all the chromeaplastic they use on the 900 :)

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Agree with some of the guys. I wouldn't worry about it since you can't see it unless you look under. Unless you're planing to keep this bike for a very long time I would just leave it alone. Sometimes a touch up job can look worst then before.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It's hard to protect the underside of the fenders. They take the most punishment from sand and rocks and whatever else is on the road that'll strip away the paint. You could clean it up and apply some touch up paint, nobody will notice either way.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Might want to try a rust killing product like Mar-Hyde 3513 One-Step® Rust Converter.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What I ended up doing was cleaning off the rust with steel wool, then used Duplicolor primer and touch up paint to fill it in. Still can't see it, but the metal is protected again. I drive a Dodge so rust freaks me out (Dodge = rust).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Clean her up, touch it up and if you like them, consider "fender tips" to eleviate future damage.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Clean her up, touch it up and if you like them, consider "fender tips" to eleviate future damage.
Fender tips will just aggravate the situation. They protect edges from physical damage but collect water and dirt, make corrosion worse and you can't see what's going on under them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts