Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Ninja 250R that someone removed the Californina emissions from. After taking it apart cleaning the carbs, watching videos, reading forums, and capping open vents, I am left to one hose that I am not sure if I actually need it. I have read where one guy took it off of his bike but he was the only one to mention it. I would greatly appreciate any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you take if off and don't plug the hole, you will suck in particulates. Once you start messing with the air box, you could cause a lean condition. If you know where the other end goes and can plug it in, I would. If you don't, plug the hose, or the hole. When you get some time, do a spark plug reading to make sure it's not running too lean...................................................................................... After looking at the pictures again, I'd definitely get the Service Manual" and find out what those black boxes it's connected to are used for. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you take if off and don't plug the hole, you will suck in particulates. Once you start messing with the air box, you could cause a lean condition. If you know where the other end goes and can plug it in, I would. If you don't, plug the hose, or the hole. When you get some time, do a spark plug reading to make sure it's not running too lean...................................................................................... After looking at the pictures again, I'd definitely get the Service Manual" and find out what those black boxes it's connected to are used for. :)
I know where it leads and have both holes plugged. Didn't fix the problem tho. She is still dumping fuel into the air box.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Or a blocked tank vent or blocked carb float bowl vent. On a CA model those probably went to a charcoal cannister type setup.

I actually know of a case where a guy replaced his carbs for random fuel flooding. and had the same trouble. I fixed it by unblocking the carb float bowl vent hose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soooo a follow up to the opriginal post... I re-built the carburetor and one of the original float valves was sticking which caused the bike to flood. When it flooded, it dumped the exess fuel into the airbox which then flowed into the crankcase. When the crankcase was full of oil and fuel, it would pour out of the airbox. My original post was my attempt at trying to troubleshoot all of this. It is apparent on my bike that the original owner removed the CA emissions without knowing how to do it right. He removed the canister and left all of the lines open ended causing a vacuum problem. I have since learned that the hose to the airbox is there on both the CA design and the rest of the world design. Now that the crankcase is empty I can clean it out, put fresh oil in and hopefully this will have fixed my problem.This 2009 bike was given to me for the low price of $111.00 with only 1700 miles on it. This bike has sat longer than it was used.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That sucks (leaks badly?), it may be restore-able. If you take the rubber O-rings where it leaked, and they are still pliable, soaking them in brake fluid will make them swell. This will at least let you see if the petcock works, then you get a rebuild kit for it (if available). :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have found that any product frrom China that uses "Rubber" breaks down, and fast. They have this synthetic crap they try and pass off, just not worth it. Some stuff, especially important stuff, like carv CV seals, dig deep and buy through your local dealer, or get the part number, and see if you can find unsold stock on EBAY. I picked up a lot of clutch cover gaskets for my 1983 Syzuki online. O.E.M., I still don't know why they guy put 5 in the package when I ordered one? It was in the state I live in too, but over 160 miles away. ;)

·
Administrator
4,456 Posts
You are so right about "rubber" from China. Their wheelbarrow tires last 2 years if you are lucky. They feel more like plastic than rubber and will very quickly develop UV cracking from sunlight. And the material is super thin so even a sharp stone in your driveway will poke a hole right through the so called "rubber".

·
Registered
986 Posts
That stuff will fail in an emergency. It's not plastic or rubber. It's probably the most degradable substance I've ever seen. What does in degrade into? Kind of scary, we may be eating some day, it not already! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE*** Replaced the used petcock that I had purchased and now have a correctly funtioning petcock, rebuilt carb, plugged CA emission vacuum, etc... F*&king battery no longer has enough amps, so i will be replacing that this weekend. I expect that the bike will be running this wekend. If not, I will be at a complete and total loss and will send it to a professional.:(:cry:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bike runs! I have taken it out a few times and it seems to be doing ok. I do have concerns with the way it starts though. The first start in the morning sounds like metal grinding hard! It take a few bumps to get the sound to stop and is ok once it starts the first time. I am concerned tho.

·
Administrator
4,456 Posts
There was a post on here not too long ago about anti-drainback valves in cheap oil filters that are either:

a) poorly designed and non-functional
or
b) not included because the manufacturer was cutting costs.

Moral of the story is to buy OEM or high quality oil filters or get used to the metal on metal sound until your filter fills up each time you start the bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts