Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Not so Newbie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did an air cleaner upgrade, modifying a Spectre automotive air cleaner ($30 at my local FLAPS) to fit my '96 Vulcan 1500 Classic. I removed the original air cleaner, the channel between both covers, the exhaust air injector hoses, related crap under the tank, and installed coasters.

Now I have a void to fill on the left side.

Does anyone have any suggestion? I've thought about installing some kind of switch panel or electrical box for accessory lights and such. It seems like last year I came across a web page or forum posting where someone had done this, but can find it. Any ideas, links etc. would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Bump!

Cause I also just did the same last weekend and the void on the left side just doesn't look right. Maybe a chrome horn?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I moved my key switch to the void. I never did like where Kawasaki put it in the first place.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
I just left it open on my Meanie. I like the clean look of not having anything there...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Left my nad naked, but a HD horn cover works.. You can get away maybe with this mod, so long as you don't also do exhaust... You should really consider a TFI or Cobra fuel modual, and if this pings on 93 octane you have no choice. Assuming this is injected..

If it carbed and I can't tell since I do nad's, then it will need jetted if you change the exhaust. That has a cost, but it will put a grin on yer face for it.

·
Not so Newbie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input so far. I forgot about the V-cover page on Gadget's website. Gadget's page is where I got the idea for the air cleaner upgrade. Basically I did the coyote modification. As it explains, you have to bump up the jet size which is what I did. I actually did a Dynojet upgrade.

Unfortunately I can't say that it has help performance since the bike had been running poorly before I did all this. All together I've cleaned/rebuilt the carb, did the coyote upgrade, and rejetted the carb. I have to say it's running much better and this bike could go all day at highway speeds (man it's a pleasure to ride on the highway...so stable), however I still have problems with low speeds.

At the moment my main problem is very low speed acceleration. Stop and go traffic is a pain because it backfires through the carb every time I gently roll on the throttle after rolling it off. If I take off from a light, no problem, but if I decelerate (at low RPMs) then gently accelerate, POP!, it backfires through the carb. This is very frustrating as I'm getting tired of the lurching. In case anybody is wondering, I checked and the accelerator pump is working just fine.

I'm sure there is a problem with the idle circuit. I've had the idle jet screw adjusted to 3 turns out, and then to 3.5 turns out with no improvement. maybe I need to go less. Or maybe I need to bump up the idle jet a size. Maybe I need to start another thread for this issue and concentrate on my original question.

Again I appreciate the suggestions. While some people like the open look, I'd like a little more balance. There's a lot of chrome on the right side (pipes, air cleaner etc.), but not much on the left.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have 2001 with the same mod. I used a .48 pilot jet and a 170 main. Everyone on the delphi forums said to loose the dynojet needle and go with a stock one. Which I did. She runs great.
If you are still using the stock pilot jet that is your problem.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
There is a little do dad in the carb called a coasting enricher. You hadn't mentioned it, so I thought that I would. The purpose of it is to richen the mixture on deceleration and prevent the pop pop. The diaphram in my carb was totally deteriorated. I didn't want to spend the 40 bucks for this little diaphram, so I just left it out and plugged the vacuum hole. My bike is basically the same as yours except that I have aftermarket pipes. You might want to check it, if you haven't already. I am running a 170 main, 48 pilot, aftermarket needle and mine runs fine. Just a thought.

·
Green Machine
40 Posts
This is what the kuryakyn V shield Cover looks like.....kinda pricey but I prefer it to the black hole that was there.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
You can put almost anything there you want.

With minimal fabrication, you can mount almost any horn cover for an HD (search the net, the options are almost endless).

You can also find any do-dad you can imagine, and fab a bracket for it. Had a friend, for instance, who was a big hockey fan. He took one of those 1/4 scale 'collectable' goalie masks, painted it to match his bike, and mounted it there. Some other interesting ideas would be a big,rodeo-style belt buckle, a big chrome trucker-lady, military emblem or "sergeant's" bars. Pretty much anything you can think of that matches you or your personality can be found at a collectibles shop, flea market, or even your basement. Just fabricate a simple bracket and mount it....

·
I'm NOT the boss
929 Posts
do the horn.....just so you can hear people ask you what year is your Harley

1 - 20 of 53 Posts