Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took my 900 in for it's first oil change. The tech told me that if I ride it on the highway much, I should take the air filter cover off every 500 miles while holding a rag underneath and drain the oil. He said it's very common that the 900 blows oil up into the air filter and if you let it get too full it will get sucked into the filter and make it run rough. He also said most all he sees come in do it to some extent, but some more than others. Has anyone else found this with their 900?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yep, mine has done this from the start. I have done a mod which runs the hose into a hidden catch pot with an inline breather filter. There is a mod you can do thats well documented on this forum, I would talk to Plasma Blue as he has done most mods on his VN900 and documented them very well. Dont worry you are not alone !

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Mine was pretty significant first two changes, then after the synth went in (don't know if that has anything to do with it?) it has gotten dramatically better. Stil some oil but not running out at each oil change (I check my air filt at each change).

·
08 Victory/12 Victory CCT
1,315 Posts
Yup pretty normal but dont know about oil getting up in your air intake since it's in small enloced compartment. Thats not to say that it could leak very very small amounts in there but so far all the 900's i have seenand worked on have not sucked any oil up into the air intake area. We all have a little in there at every oil change. Its just the way it is with stock OEM housing setup...

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
My 900 classic has done that from the first day I got it. It's normal, just remove the air cleaner cover every once in a while and wipe out the puddle. It has something to do with blow back on the vent at high RPMs.

:D
Aif

·
Registered
380 Posts
Same here got mine used & it has oil on the air cleaner guess I could read the book but when do we change the air cleaner?

red

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I need to check mine. When mine was stock it had oil in it as well, but I added a hypercharger. I will check it and see what affect it has.

·
Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
The air filter element should be changed at 12,000 miles.
Or maybe more often. We had a particularly dry and dusty summer this year so I cleaned mine (it's a K&N) a few times. It got really nasty in a short period.

·
Pinson, Alabama
416 Posts
This is what i did and just checked with 500 miles after first oil change and is working great.

Get an oil absorbant mat from a auto parts store. They are about 1/16" thick. Cut a piece are two to fit the bottom of the air box. This will suck up and soak up the oil coming in and you will not have a mess. Just cut a new piece at each oil change.

It stays at the bottom of the box and does not affect the air flow.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
I've checked mine twice so far and it wasn't enough for me to care about doing anything about it. Just wiped it out with a paper towel.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yup pretty normal but dont know about oil getting up in your air intake since it's in small enloced compartment. Thats not to say that it could leak very very small amounts in there but so far all the 900's i have seenand worked on have not sucked any oil up into the air intake area. We all have a little in there at every oil change. Its just the way it is with stock OEM housing setup...
This is a good informative thread D_H_TX_900LTC, thanks for posting. I checked mine for the first time today and about 3 oz. of oil ran out Teamlopez.
Vmuth idea sounds good...that's what I am going to do.

·
Pinson, Alabama
416 Posts
The absorbant piece of mat works. I cut a piece to fit the lower part of the box about 1" X 2". Took a long ride today and drove it hard at times, the mat does not affect the runnability, just absorbs the oil that comes in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts