Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a set of air filter pods for my '86 GPz 900--the air filter box makes the carbs impossible to get in and out, plus I think I'm going to install a 4-1 exhaust system.

Can anybody recommend me a good inexpensive brand and size I could use for my bike?

Thanks

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good post...:mrgreen:

I have the bike in bits at the mo (88 GPZ9) and have left the feckin air box off for now. What a dog of a job to get the carbs off, which lead me to think the same as you...

We are also thinking of modding the air box and cutting it down..:confused:

·
bustedfeet
2,662 Posts
Is the problem w the airbox ducts? w them being hard? If so, new ducts might be available.
Z1Enterprises.com may have them. Alternatively, they might have the pod filters. If your bike isn't listed there or you can't find what you're looking for, contact them w your needs - phone or email - they're usually very helpful/knowledgeable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All 8 ducts (manifold side and airbox side) seem soft enough. They have definitely been replaced at some point in the bike's life. The issue is just the fit is so tight I can't get the **** carbs off, despite the good condition of the ducts. And I know I won't be able to get them back on.

I figure pods would be much easier to deal with in the future. I think I am going to replace the stock exhaust with aftermarket (stock is in lousy shape) and the pods would complement that.

If I kept all the stock parts the resale value of this quasi-collectible bike wouldn't be affected, right? I plan to slowly get the thing to as close as I can to show condition as possible.

·
bustedfeet
2,662 Posts
I don't know about your bike, but on my KZ650 I remove the airbox ducts first by pushing them into the airbox, then the carburetors can be removed w no problem. Installation is the reverse - I install the ducts thru the airbox. Maybe this won't work on your bike - don't know.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know about your bike, but on my KZ650 I remove the airbox ducts first by pushing them into the airbox, then the carburetors can be removed w no problem. Installation is the reverse - I install the ducts thru the airbox. Maybe this won't work on your bike - don't know.
That is the easiest way to remove the carbs on a GPZ900, at least the easiest way I found. Took me forever to figure it out though. :oops:

Using pods will definitely make it easier, though you will need to rejet the carbs, and they will be a bit noisier. K&N and UNI both make pods that will fit. The UNI's are the least expensive: UNI pods

·
Registered
8 Posts
anything new guys? im still looking for some good filteres cause i already dont have any.
Anybody wants to sell stock airbox?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Try searching on ebbaayy. If you can't find one specific to your bike, from looking at the diagrams at Partzilla, the 86 Ninja 900 has a similar airbox to the ZG1000 Concours - they share a number of parts, so the airboxes are probably interchangeable. One difference is the ducts which may be available at the dealer. There's probably a better selection of Connie airboxes than the GPz.

·
Registered
590 Posts
yeah. Ebay is your best bet. I think Bike Bandit and Cheap Cycle Parts carry them too. The KN Pods are probably your best bet.

Dragon1 is a member here. He might have a line on an airbox and or pods..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts