Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across this over at KZRider, but there's not really any information on it. Wondering what you guys think, pros and cons, and where might one find something like this, or is it a custom thing.

I have a 79 KZ1000-E1, just looking at alternatives.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
How water resistant do you think it might be? I'd be concerned about the upper holes letting in water like when you get caught in the rain of wash the bike.

What type of filter element is used? Paper or oiled gauze like K&N use?
How is it cleaned/replaced? Can you access the two nuts when it's on the bike easily?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea, that's all the info I could find on it. Just the picture, and it was on some guy's bike. Multiple people had posted questions about it, but the original poster never replied.

Here's the pic of it on the bike.

The member hasn't been online since 2006

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
My guess is that it's custom made. Other than the water problem and getting replacement filters I'd say it would have to have some sort of support bracket added to it or the carbs are gonna be poping out of the manifolds.

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
They used to be routinely available. Somewhat better than pod filters. The ideal is decent, but as mentioned, you can get water into the element.

As to the support bracket idea - this is very much needed - even with pod filters. On the few bike I've had with pod filters, I run a couple of zip-ties from the frame to the carbs to support them. A set of 4 carbs with filters weighs well over 10lbs - and this bounces up and down as you ride. If you don't support the carbs, you'll kill the carb holders quickly. The carbs shouldn't ever come out of the carb holders - there is a raised rib on the inside of the carb holders that locates into a groove on the spigot of the carbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts