Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to have to ask this but when I bought my Vulcan VN1500C the seller told me he out in a K&N Filter. Where on the bike would this be situated and how do I get to it??

Also, can I use the K&N cleaner and oil that I use for the K&N filter on my car??

thks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hi Jarnol.
I may be wrong here, but I thought all K&N's were paper filters, which basically have to be replaced because paper can't be washed and re-oiled.
On most bikes the air filter is behind or above the carburetors, but it looks like your Vulcan does it Harley-style:

That chrome circular thing by your right knee is your aircleaner housing/airbox, and it looks like you can access it just by loosening that one bolt in the center.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
-Calamari Chris in Carlsbad, CA

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
it will be hanging on the right side under the chrome cover between your cylinders and YES YOU CAN USE YOUR K&N FILTER KIT (it is NOT a paper element)

·
Registered
283 Posts
K&N filters, filter better when they are a little dirty. You should be able to go around 30,000 miles before it needs cleaned. Just scrape the bugs and junk off and you should be good to go. I cleaned the one on the car at 5,000, but it really did not need it.

The biggest problem is that people tend to over oil them. I heard GM is voiding warranties on cars with K&N filters. Seemed people were over oiling and the oil was messing up the MAF sensors.

After cleaning, just put enough oil on that the filter looks red with no white spots. I do it the night before and let it sit overnight before riding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts