Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
I found a pair of brand new Air Force boots at a garage sale. They seem to be very well made and have strong support/protection around the ankles and toes. I can't find a brand name on them only a number but when I googled air force boots I found some that look just like the ones I have selling for about $300. Does anyone know anything about these type of boots and if they are good enough protection for riding?

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
IMHO if they're leather and they go over the ankle then they're fine for riding. More importantly is if they're comfortable for walking.

I rarely wear biker-specific high-dollar riding gear. Most is, again just MHO, a complete waste of money. I wear some nice leather work boots that are extremely comfortable for all day wearing including walking (ride and see the sights), hiking (ride to the mountains) and riding (ride all day- 500 or 600 miles).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is this the boot you got?

Air Force Footwear - Air Force Boots - Sage Green Military Boots

I'm looking for replace my 4 year old Bates Leightweight Tactical side zips that are great for cruiser with floorboard in the heat. Think next pair will be Gortex. My other pair of boots is the Chippewa Ralley boot for colder weather. Both have really grippy soles which is numero uno for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this the boot you got?

Air Force Footwear - Air Force Boots - Sage Green Military Boots

I'm looking for replace my 4 year old Bates Leightweight Tactical side zips that are great for cruiser with floorboard in the heat. Think next pair will be Gortex. My other pair of boots is the Chippewa Ralley boot for colder weather. Both have really grippy soles which is numero uno for me.
Mine are black and look similar to a few of them I saw on that page but nothing is an exact match. I am looking all over and can't find a brand name that I can read.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Code:
I just ordered these-
Amazon.com: Bates Men's GX-8 GTX Comp Toe Side Zip Work Boot: Shoes

If they are comfortable off the bike they will be good protection. I have a bunch of size 9 boots that I would give away if that's your size. A friend had to give up riding and gave me some stuff to give away. His cigarette smoking has grounded him waiting for a lung transplant.

Thought the toe protection was worth the extra bucks for shipyard work plus they will take a shine if needed. Bates seem to be a good value and funny that US troops are wearing China made stuff but like some wise French guy once said. If goods don't cross borders, armies soon will.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have worn the Bates, Hi-Tech and something with a "C" but dont rememebr right now (crs) 20yr in USAF had all kinds and worn to work and bike in. Got to be comfortable. I have a couple pairs of "cowboy" style boots with square toes I wear some, but with leather soles they dont grip well. currently I wearning Wolverine durashock boots. Main thing with a lace up boot is you want to make sure the laces are not flying around. I double bow the laces then tuck them in around my ankle so they are less likely to maybe get hung up in a shifter or brake pedal if you need to move your feet quickly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a pair of army belleville hightop desert cammo boots i use for riding all the time, i had a scenario when i dropped my bike on my ankle when i was paying for the toll and it hurt for a second but no major damages to the ankle since its a high top.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used to know what CRS stood for but not I forgot???:icon_frow

This thread is a few months old and since then I picked up a pair of Chippewa Street Warrior "Rally" boot. It's become my favorite riding boot as they have a more slender toe and it's easier for me to shift. Extremely grippy sole and buttery soft deer skin lining. Not totally waterproof so if I need that I will always go to the Bates which are waterproof as a regular sea boot. I have worn them to scrub decks and they keep me dry and are pretty good non skid. The benefit of the Chippewa is that they really look to me very cool. Here is the link:Chippewa Boots Street Warrior Rally

Bottom line is that if your serious about riding then an over the ankle boot with good support is essential. I hit a sinkhole in a parking lot and did an endo and had I not been wearing the good boots I would have snapped my ankle instead of the big sprain. The bike was fine and so was I. Some moron had paved over a big 55 gallon drum that rusted away and I ran into it. Ship happens. Wear the good gear.It don't have to be expensive like the Airforce Boots proove.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wear side-zip tactical boots 'cause the sole is rubber lug, good grip. I also have a pair of Sante Fe harness boots that I glued a sheet of rubber to the sole for better traction. Summer riding at the beach I usually just wear some black tennies I happened to have. Tried cowboy boots, but they slip on hwy paint, as do a pair of shorter zipper boots I had.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used to know what CRS stood for but not I forgot???:icon_frow

This thread is a few months old and since then I picked up a pair of Chippewa Street Warrior "Rally" boot. It's become my favorite riding boot as they have a more slender toe and it's easier for me to shift. Extremely grippy sole and buttery soft deer skin lining. Not totally waterproof so if I need that I will always go to the Bates which are waterproof as a regular sea boot. I have worn them to scrub decks and they keep me dry and are pretty good non skid. The benefit of the Chippewa is that they really look to me very cool. Here is the link:Chippewa Boots Street Warrior Rally

Bottom line is that if your serious about riding then an over the ankle boot with good support is essential. I hit a sinkhole in a parking lot and did an endo and had I not been wearing the good boots I would have snapped my ankle instead of the big sprain. The bike was fine and so was I. Some moron had paved over a big 55 gallon drum that rusted away and I ran into it. Ship happens. Wear the good gear.It don't have to be expensive like the Airforce Boots proove.
CRS= Component Repair Squadron or as we liked to refer to them Can't Repair ****:lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would guess the C is for Chippewa boots. I usually wear Wolverine dura shock boots sometimes Air Force jump boots. Any good comfortable boot will due

1 - 12 of 12 Posts