Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
lock up your daughters
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went and spent $207 dollars (after tax) on Friday and purchased and Air Hawk Pro. My expectations were high. The results were low...

We rode from Sacramento to Allensworth state park (Just north of Bakersfield) total trip mileage was 505 miles.

I played with the air hawk pro allot on Friday, but around town isn't going to tell the story. I aired up, aired down and tried to hit all point between. Ultimately it decreased my saddle time after about 40 miles it just hurt. I follwed all the instrustions and tried putting it in different positions (more to the front, more to the back, etc). I could feel it 'working' but that didn't bring me any comfort. As well the cooling ability didn't work, my leg and hind quarters are so big that I sealled it off from the outside. My beaded seat covers work much better for keeping cool, but aren't long ride friendly, actually they might be now that I tried something else.

So in the end I took it back. I was really hoping it would help, and it might help on another seat. I think the problem is simply the ergonomics of the seat...

Anyway, just thought I'd share. My seat felt wonderfull on the last 100 miles of the trip when I finally gave up and removed the airhawk pro...

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I tried a number of different things for comfort on my old V2K, and eventually sucked it up and bought the Mustang seat. Prior to that I even went so far as to use a piece of medical grade gel (I sell medical supplies for a living) and work into my stock seat. It was marginally better than stock, but nowhere near the Mustang.

Sometimes (not for everyone, but for many people) comfort gets confused with softness. The most comfortable option is not necassarily the softest, or most plush. Good support is generally what you are looking for, and many times that comes in the form of a more firm seating structure (like the Mustang).

For me, anyways, the Mustang was 110% the best seating purchase I ever made for the old V2K.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I saw the Airhawk on the net and thought this would be a the holy grail for long trips, appearantly not.
It's a lot of money though, $207,-
What I understood, in theory, comfortable saddle's would be quite firm with a softer upperlayer.

·
Cookie Monstress
454 Posts
What works is, of course, a personal thing.....

but my airhawk has made stock seats work for me for 25,000 + miles now.
I tried a Mustang vintage wide touring seat as well....which hurt my tailbone and under my thighs....and so i finally sold.

I leave the airhawk only slightly inflated and rotate it occasionally, etc.

Takes all kinds ....but i wanted to offer this counter point to your experience.... I think a thing has to be tried before you can really know what works for you....

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
I tried a number of different things for comfort on my old V2K, and eventually sucked it up and bought the Mustang seat. Prior to that I even went so far as to use a piece of medical grade gel (I sell medical supplies for a living) and work into my stock seat. It was marginally better than stock, but nowhere near the Mustang.

Sometimes (not for everyone, but for many people) comfort gets confused with softness. The most comfortable option is not necassarily the softest, or most plush. Good support is generally what you are looking for, and many times that comes in the form of a more firm seating structure (like the Mustang).

For me, anyways, the Mustang was 110% the best seating purchase I ever made for the old V2K.

My mustange rocks...love it

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
I bought the Airhawk last summer specifically for a 1200 mile round trip to Deals gap. For me, it is the only thing that made the trip possible, but I think that it has to do more with the highway speed vibration that the 900 has, I was mostly looking to smooth that out a bit. Not sure how big of a guy you are, but I agree that a larger more supportive seat is probably a better option, as well as I'd assume the V2K is probably a lot smoother at highway speeds.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
I bought a gel Pro Pad. It was a definite improvement over the OEM but still nothing to write home about. Then I got a Mustang....huge improvement! Now I have my propad on the Mustang. That works pretty good up to about 12-14 hours....or till the beer depravation pains set in. 8)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm guessing that everyone's backside is a little different...not that I notice those kinds of things. I've had my Mustang seat for about a year and love it. It supports my legs and back (thanks to the high rise of the passenger seat) and puts no pressure on my tailbone. Hope you find what works for you.

·
Registered
498 Posts
We have Airhawks, Air lites, another like Airhawk with an air bladder MCNews rated higher, etc. I also have an Ultimate seat on the Goldwing & a Mustang seat on the VN2000. I can sit in an $8 patio chair for 8 hours drinking and playing online with the laptop and still have less fatigue then after 2 hours of any combination on a motorcycle. I just don't get it??? A nice cheap bench seat in an old truck has many more hours comfort. The Vision's seat has been the best MC seat so far, even with no pads on it.

Herb

·
lock up your daughters
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I combined my Airhawk with a sheep skin. Sounds to me like you need a good butt break in.

I don't know where you guys are getting your airhawks, but how about $129.
RL Motorcycles
WTF??? I'm going to assume that you mean that my rear needs to get used to things. After 33,000 miles I don't think it's going to grow anymore adaptive to the this motorcycle seat.

I'm not knocking the air hawk, the theory is sound I just think that between my enormous size and the ergonomics of the stock seat, it wasn't helping. I would have taken it back either way there are many places online where you can get the cushion for much less, these were the only guys local so I could return it. Basically I don't like the store anyway so I use them like Walmart and 'rent' things to see if they work. Although, if it had of worked like a dream, I probably would have just eaten the money.

So I figure I'll either get a new seat or a new bike, we'll see which happens first. I think I want to try the Ultimate seat, a friend has one on his VTX 1800 and it's nice. I've never been able to sit on a mustang seat. Of course I've never sat on anything other than the stock seat on the V2K.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Just remove your seat and ride a hundred miles sitting on the battery. Then, put your seat back on and it will feel like heaven to you. :) Its kinda like a cold swimming pool. Just get in and get wet, then get out and walk around so the air flowing on you makes you even colder.. then when you hop back into the pool it feels nice n' warm. LoL

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
WTF??? I'm going to assume that you mean that my rear needs to get used to things. After 33,000 miles I don't think it's going to grow anymore adaptive to the this motorcycle seat.

I'm not knocking the air hawk, the theory is sound I just think that between my enormous size and the ergonomics of the stock seat, it wasn't helping. I would have taken it back either way there are many places online where you can get the cushion for much less, these were the only guys local so I could return it. Basically I don't like the store anyway so I use them like Walmart and 'rent' things to see if they work. Although, if it had of worked like a dream, I probably would have just eaten the money.

So I figure I'll either get a new seat or a new bike, we'll see which happens first. I think I want to try the Ultimate seat, a friend has one on his VTX 1800 and it's nice. I've never been able to sit on a mustang seat. Of course I've never sat on anything other than the stock seat on the V2K.
FWIW----I'm close to your size and I have a Mustang. Its way better than the stocker, but its still not all that great. I start squirming in an hour, and at 2 hours I need a break.

I had a Corbin on my Meanstreak, and for me that was actually better than the Mustang is on the V2K. I went Mustang this time because of the price tag and the good reviews. I'd like to try out the Ultimate-----but I'm just not spending that kind of $$$$ on something that ugly.

·
TEXAS PATRIOT GUARD
922 Posts
I am 6'-3' and 240#. I took my seat off, uncovered the foam, put a gel pad on top of the foam and marked around the edge of the pad. I use an electric carving knife and cut out the stock foam and installed the gel pad in its place. I then went to a sheepskin because they are cooler than the vinyl seat cover when sitting in the sun......... or when I am sitting on it. This may not be for everyone but it works for me. I stapled the sheepskin over the vinyl and made it permanent. Not a good idea if it rains on it, no way to dry it out before riding without getting a wet butt. (COVER THE SEAT) I have had this setup for about 4 years and 27,000 miles.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I am 6'-3' and 240#. I took my seat off, uncovered the foam, put a gel pad on top of the foam and marked around the edge of the pad. I use an electric carving knife and cut out the stock foam and installed the gel pad in its place. I then went to a sheepskin because they are cooler than the vinyl seat cover when sitting in the sun......... or when I am sitting on it. This may not be for everyone but it works for me. I stapled the sheepskin over the vinyl and made it permanent. Not a good idea if it rains on it, no way to dry it out before riding without getting a wet butt. (COVER THE SEAT) I have had this setup for about 4 years and 27,000 miles.
Nice idea..........only problem is, you need to gain almost 200 pounds to match up in this conversation.....LOL

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
If you can afford it, and can afford to be without a seat pan for a couple of weeks, I would seriously consider a Russel Day-Long. They are custom made to fit you. I had one on my Honda, and I could put in 500 mile days and not even think about it. It was by far the most comfortable seat I have ever ridden on, and it wasn't even built for me. I inherited it with the bike. I am definitely considering one for the Road King.

Russel Day Long

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts

·
TEXAS PATRIOT GUARD
922 Posts
Nice idea..........only problem is, you need to gain almost 200 pounds to match up in this conversation.....LOL
Hey Latimer, I have been doing my best to catch up lately. LOL Seems I'm always hungry. I can tell you that a homemade chocolate malt will put it on quick

1 - 20 of 37 Posts