Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
98' 1500 Classic
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the best time to change from summer air to winter air? Is now a good time? What about the synthetic air, should I give it a try?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,728 Posts
You're joking, right?! You need the original Japanese air that came in the tires for it to run optimally. LOL
 

·
98' 1500 Classic
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean it will RUN better with Jap air as well as ride smoother? WOW I gotta check out the Jap air. I was told the Austrlian air from done under was pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,728 Posts
You mean it will RUN better with Jap air as well as ride smoother? WOW I gotta check out the Jap air. I was told the Austrlian air from done under was pretty good.
It will run even better if the intake has ONLY Japanese air also. I see a trip in your future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
Actually nitrogen is the ticket, stays cool and doesn't leach out as much as atmosphere
 

·
Wannabe Poser
Joined
·
3,446 Posts
It will run even better if the intake has ONLY Japanese air also. I see a trip in your future.
The air from which of their Islands though. I want to get maxium effect.
 

·
98' 1500 Classic
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I ensure I get all my summer air out of my tires? I don't want any old summer air contaminating my fresh winter air.
 

·
IBA#34418
Joined
·
6,332 Posts
How do I ensure I get all my summer air out of my tires? I don't want any old summer air contaminating my fresh winter air.
The best way is to ride the bike to Japan. They have special equipment to make sure you get all the bad air out and put in OEM air.
 

·
Patriot Guardian
Joined
·
28,016 Posts
Actually nitrogen is the ticket, stays cool and doesn't leach out as much as atmosphere
Why bother? It's already 79% nitrogen... just fill it up, then as it leaks out, add more air.
After a few cycles, all of the oxygen will have leaked out and all you'll have left is nitrogen :tongue:


I'm being halfway serious... nitrogen inflation is a MAJOR scam. I understand some installers are providing it for free, but for someone to actually PAY to have it done is stupid. Nitrogen is used in aircraft because when a tire blows, it will not support combustion within the wheelwell.
The compression/temperature aspects of nitrogen are negligible under highway conditions. I've filled many scuba tanks with mixtures ranging from 10% to 50% oxygen and the only time there is a difference in adiabatic heating/compressibility is when helium is introduced into the mixture (helium is extremely hard to compress and generates a LOT of adiabatic heating).


I actually had a tire installer tell me that "Yes, air is 79% nitrogen, but all of the nitrogen stratifies into the upper atmosphere because it is lighter, leaving the 21% oxygen down here so we can breath, that's why they call it the stratosphere"

I asked him why they didn't call it the "nitrousphere" if that were true.

Complete lack of understanding about how gases work.
The air in an airliner IS outside air, compressed by the engine and fed into the cabin. NO additional oxygen is added... it's 21% oxygen at sea level and 21% at 40,000 feet, but at 40k, the pressure is too low to be survivable.
 

·
Patriot Guardian
Joined
·
28,016 Posts
I can't believe you are still running the summer air, why didn't you switch out for fall air?
We only have two seasons here... summer, and riding season :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,566 Posts
Actually nitrogen is the ticket, stays cool and doesn't leach out as much as atmosphere
Why bother? It's already 79% nitrogen... just fill it up, then as it leaks out, add more air.
After a few cycles, all of the oxygen will have leaked out and all you'll have left is nitrogen :tongue:


I'm being halfway serious... nitrogen inflation is a MAJOR scam. I understand some installers are providing it for free, but for someone to actually PAY to have it done is stupid. Nitrogen is used in aircraft because when a tire blows, it will not support combustion within the wheelwell.
The compression/temperature aspects of nitrogen are negligible under highway conditions. I've filled many scuba tanks with mixtures ranging from 10% to 50% oxygen and the only time there is a difference in adiabatic heating/compressibility is when helium is introduced into the mixture (helium is extremely hard to compress and generates a LOT of adiabatic heating).


I actually had a tire installer tell me that "Yes, air is 79% nitrogen, but all of the nitrogen stratifies into the upper atmosphere because it is lighter, leaving the 21% oxygen down here so we can breath, that's why they call it the stratosphere"

I asked him why they didn't call it the "nitrousphere" if that were true.

Complete lack of understanding about how gases work.
The air in an airliner IS outside air, compressed by the engine and fed into the cabin. NO additional oxygen is added... it's 21% oxygen at sea level and 21% at 40,000 feet, but at 40k, the pressure is too low to be survivable.
I don't have any personal experience with nitrogen in tires but have read that on the track, the pressure doesn't increase from heating like air does. remember that the racers measure their pressures down to .10 psi.
 

·
Eliminating all others
Joined
·
917 Posts
I went down to the "stealership" asking if they had any ZL900~eliminator`air, all they had was some ninja air, so I got some (3 bucks a pound!) I will say with the ninja air I had more top end. so I am thinking of mixing in some V2k air to help my eliminator off the bottom.
I dont know if there is much of a difference in summer or winter air here all we have is dry and wet as the seasonal options
 

·
Patriot Guardian
Joined
·
28,016 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with nitrogen in tires but have read that on the track, the pressure doesn't increase from heating like air does. remember that the racers measure their pressures down to .10 psi.
Probably correct, but again, under highway conditions, it's a non-issue.
 

·
IBA#34418
Joined
·
6,332 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with nitrogen in tires but have read that on the track, the pressure doesn't increase from heating like air does. remember that the racers measure their pressures down to .10 psi.
Yeah thats right. The race teams use nitrogen instead of atmosphere. because it doesn't build as much pressure and its build up is more predicatable than just straight atomosphere.

But Like Rich said I really don't see it helping the average vehicle on the road. We aren't going to see tire temps in the mid 200's like race cars do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
I know' I'll change out the summer air when I change the tires over to the winter tires (the ones with the chains and studs)!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
hey. i get my air from the local gas station. it costs about 25 cents am i over paying? it would nice if it was like a vending machine. throw a quarter and make your selection. you got you cold air, hot air, luke warm air. foriegn air and domestic air. and even oceanic air. i was thinking about coming out with my own distribution air company. we would recommend you change your air every 3000 miles. if you use chinese air. everyone 200 miles. and jap aka: synthetic every 7000 miles. we guarentee our air will provide smoother ride or we will refund your money. for an extra charge we will put a special additive to your air that will give the bike added horsepower and low end torque. act now and receive a free valve cap and half off your next air change.
 

·
Eliminating all others
Joined
·
917 Posts
hey. i get my air from the local gas station. it costs about 25 cents am i over paying? it would nice if it was like a vending machine. throw a quarter and make your selection. you got you cold air, hot air, luke warm air. foriegn air and domestic air. and even oceanic air. i was thinking about coming out with my own distribution air company. we would recommend you change your air every 3000 miles. if you use chinese air. everyone 200 miles. and jap aka: synthetic every 7000 miles. we guarentee our air will provide smoother ride or we will refund your money. for an extra charge we will put a special additive to your air that will give the bike added horsepower and low end torque. act now and receive a free valve cap and half off your next air change.
hey! your not the guy I spoke with at the stealership a while back are you?
 

·
98' 1500 Classic
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do I need to filter my winter air? If so what kind of air filter to use? Anybody know of any websites that have winter air tire filters?

What about disposal of the summer air? Do I have to call a Hazzardous materials disposal company to come and get it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
yeah you will need a K&N air filter for your rear tire. the fronts dont need one because they flow through the rear. and yeah it was me at the stealership . it is illegal to let your air out without putting it in a folgers can or some type of container.
 
1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Top