Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to this so please be nice to me.

I have an 03 Mean Streak. I want to replace the stock air intake with either a Thunder kit or a K&N replacement filter.

After looking at my bike, it looks like there are 2 filters, one on each side. Does this mean I have to purchse 2 of what ever I decide? If not, how does it work and what would I need?

If I choose the K&N replacement, does is simply just replace the stock filter allowing me to continue to use the stock cover?

Thanks in advance. :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi mad_professor,

Welcome to the Forum.

To start with your bikes stock set up from Kawasaki has been designed from great engineers with excellent performance. Altering items such as the air filter, air intake box, or exhaust will have an effect on engine performance.
Example:Add more air you could improve the exhaust flow to get a better benefit from increased in Air Flow.

As to your question:

Based on the Mean Streak being stock(no mods)
There is only 1 Air Filter. It is on the left side of the engine. You do not need to replace the stock cover to use a K&N Air Filter.

The problem is you will need to enrichen the fuel mixture.
The reason for this is the added air flow will create a leaner fuel mixture.
Kawasaki has the mixture already lean to keep emmisions low.
The engine will run hotter, perfomance will be off, and it's just not good for other internal parts of the engine.Since the engine is fuel injected you will have to install some brand of Digital Fuel Processor.
I know since I did just what you are about to do on my 04 Nomad FI.
The bike performed poorly!
I reinstalled the Stock Air Filter till I put in the Power Commander.

Some of the Digital Fuel Processor brands are Dyno Jets Power Commander III/usb
(which is what I use on my 04 Nomad FI),
Cobras TriPot 2000FI, and TFI to name a few.

Throttle Performance and the engines power curve can be improved by just installing a PCIII/usb with the stock air filter.

Hope this helps.

DfgPilot

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Replacing the stock air filter with a K&N replacement filter is an easy process - just replace one filter for another higher flowing filter. As DfgPilot indicated above, this will make the bike run leaner than before so you need to add an after market digital fuel processor.

Replacing the stock intake with an aftermarket air kit (e.g., Thundar airkit ,Barron's big air kit (BAK), air kits form Sherms Performance Products, etc) is more involved but will provide a much higher air flow => more power. The stock air flow patterm as I understand it is as follows: Air is drawn under the fuel tank and enter the left side air cover and enter the right side (where the throttle is located) via the cross over tube. Aftermarket air kits basically allow the bike to breath better by drawing air directly from the right side with less restriction. Since most FI bikes do not compensate for a large increase in air flow from aftermarket air kits, the bike also needs an aftermaket digital fuel processor to ensure correct air-to-fuel ratio. Installing an aftermarket air kit w/o an aftermarket digital fuel processor will make the bike too lean which will cause engine to run much hotter than it should.

Installing an aftermarkter air kit will require you to :
1. remove the left air intake and the crossover tube;
2. remove or relocate the ICS (Idle control Solenoid);
3. Disabling the air valves (air used to combsut excess hydrocarbon at the exhuast ) and possibly adding coasters; and
4. for californa models, remove the Evaporative Emission Control since the aftermarket air kits do not provide a means for attaching the fumes from the carbon canisters like the stock air box.

Most people also replace the stock exhaust pipe when they are replacing the stock air intake system to add additioanl power.

I don't know how much power and torque you gain by using an aftermarket intake, exhaust, and FI processor but you definelty feel the difference in power to make all the time, money and effor spent on doing the replacment worth while.

Paul

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just put the Tornado Air Kit, Cobra Fi2000 Fuel Processor, Hard Krome 2.5" American Classic exhaust and removed the reed valves and all the crap that went with them to my 04 1600 Classic. You've been given the facts from DFG so I'll supply a pic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I am putting some Cobra 2-1 pipes and a Cobra FI2000 unit on the bike next weekend. The last piece to my puzzle was the air question. I live in California so to from the posts above, it doesn't look like it's just a simple swap out to put a Thunder kit on it. Looks like I will go with the K&N for now until I learn some more about air intake and what's involved to swap it out.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
btreaves, what are your TFI settings?

Mine settings are from the Company that makes TFI: Green= 3, Yellow = 6:30, Red = 2:30, RPM = 9

Thanks.

Paul

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
That is one beautiful bike, omega5.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sooo...
If I wanted to do the same thing to my carbureted 1500 classic, would I need to add an aftermarket ignition box, or just rejet the carb?
What are the benefits of adding a power commander or similar unit to a carb'd bike?

Also - does anyone have an opinion on the thunder air kit vs. the hypercharger scoop-type intake?

Mad - I hope you don't mind me asking these questions on your string! :roll:

KawiKen

·
Registered
132 Posts
ppark said:

Mine settings are from the Company that makes TFI: Green= 3, Yellow = 6:30, Red = 2:30, RPM = 9

Thanks.

Paul
Let's see...My TFI settings are...

Pot 1 - 2:30

Pot 2 - 3:30

Pot 3 - 2:30

Pot 4 - 4:30

Bike pulls to rev limiter in 5th gear at 118mph or so if memory serves.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
KawiKen said:
Sooo...
If I wanted to do the same thing to my carbureted 1500 classic, would I need to add an aftermarket ignition box, or just rejet the carb?
What are the benefits of adding a power commander or similar unit to a carb'd bike?

Also - does anyone have an opinion on the thunder air kit vs. the hypercharger scoop-type intake?

KawiKen
Power Commander is, I believe, a control device for Fuel Injection. Our carb'd bikes don't need it. I rejetted and am so glad I did. I installed the K&N and maybe later will go with a thunder air or something similar. For now, I am a happy camper

·
Registered
132 Posts
KawiKen said:
Sooo...

KawiKen
Carburated bikes need "Jet kits" to adjust fuel.

Fuel Injected bikes need electronic fuel injection mapping devices to adjust fuel.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks Ken. Still don't have the Cobra Fi2000 settings right. To be honest, I wish I had got the TFI. If I don't get it right sometime in the near future, before next riding season, I'll have a TFI on there.
Dano

·
Registered
219 Posts
TFI Settings

btreaves said:
ppark said:

Thanks.

Paul
Let's see...My TFI settings are...

Pot 1 - 2:30

Pot 2 - 3:30

Pot 3 - 2:30

Pot 4 - 4:30

Bike pulls to rev limiter in 5th gear at 118mph or so if memory serves.
btreaves, This worries me, you are getting 118mph (189km/h), I get without the TFI 205km/h (128mph) and with the TFI about 195km/h (122mph) and I have never got to the rev limit in 5th. I will check my pot settings, maybe it's set for midrange rather than top end.

Bye-Wait

1 - 17 of 17 Posts