Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy the asthmatics of the pods vs the box. The box is huge and clunky looking but with the side trim panels on who sees them anyway?

I know the risks of the pods is possible water coming in when it rains.
Does anyone run pods? And if so do you have issues

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
84 Posts
I tried the K&N pods some years ago when rebuilding a Ninja 750R. I bought them because I thought it was less trouble and less expensive than the stock equipment like the rubber boots etc. I had nothing but problems trying to tune the carbs correctly. I gave up on them and put them back in the box. My personal advice is go back to original because it works and in the long run its less time consuming. Needs some pod filters? Hardly used./sarc. Another point is that they don't attach very well to the carbs and seam to fall off, plus the spray oil is expensive and crappy. I won't use them again and am sorry that I wasted my money on them. That's my opinion of them. On the other hand a velocity stack with wire mesh screen seams a better idea to me but have not tried that yet. Best o luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the input! Wasn’t sure if it was the right choice to go that route and spend some money on it it it’s looking like I might as well stay stock

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
84 Posts
If I was interested in a really 'cool' look and didn't mind fussing with carb tuning I'd go with velocity stacks as I said. My problem is that the velocity stacks are really expensive for good ones with a fine mesh screen. If I could find some that fit and had the money I'd try them. I had a Norton 750 some many years ago and put cheap velocity stacks on it and that worked great. Wasn't too worried about dirt getting in back in those days. Speaking of dirt, I kinda wonder how much of an issue it really is. Riding in dust clouds doesn't happen that often.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Pods are OK if set up correctly and by that I mean by someone who has a Rolling road and can rejet the Carbs.
Most people think there "Fit and Forget" there anything but.

·
973 Posts
I have read many accounts of folks who tried the pods, and after wasting a lot of time and money, they went back to the stock airbox. It seems they can either get it to run right at low rpm or high rpm but not both. Add to that, the fact that pods:
1) do not filter air as well as stock airbox.
2) riding in the rain can be a challenge.
3) riding in a crosswind changes carb tuning on upwind and downwind sides.
4) you have removed the back support for your carbs and now the only thing physically holding your carbs in place are the small rubber boots at the cylinder head. A bank of carbs is heavy and to make matters worse you are hanging the extra weight of the pods of the carbs, all of which gets transmitted to the cylinder boots.

Some folks claim to have had success with pods but this is mostly with non-diaphragm carbs. Your KZ has diaphragm carbs so if I were you, I would stick with the stock airbox or maybe try the velocity stacks as mentioned by Greenisbest, but I have no knowledge as to if it will work on your bike.

·
Registered
03 Meanstreak 1500
7 Posts
I had pod filters on cx650 honda and it was trickier to tune and synch the carbs but had no problems with them after that

·
itching to ride
2,229 Posts
The 440 is one of the hardest to run pods on for some reason and the air box is hard to come by so whatever you do do not get rid of it even if you get pods to work. You may want to change back at some point.

I switched to pods on my 454 because the airbox is a real pain to work with. It took a bit of trial and error but I managed to get it running right. I had to change the jet sizes in the carbs because of the more air available to the engine with pods.
I kept the airbox even though at times I wanted to throw it in the fire. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts