Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of this bike that I aquired took the stock airbox out of the bike and put two air filters on the ends of the carbs...over time the air filters got dirty and manky...anyone know where i can get new air filters and some info on this mod?

Bike is a 1989 EX500A

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
just get a K&N AIR FILTER CLEANER KIT, it will have spray cleaner and new oil to spray on after they are dry. its like 12$ for the whole kit. :wink: just go visit the local bike shop and youll be good to go.
www.denniskirk.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to buy new ones cause the rubber boot on them is worn and cracked a tad and what have you...just can't find them anywhere, these say moroso on them....

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Lythian said:
these say moroso on them....
:lol: those are car valve cover crankcase filters !!!
thats crazy that someone did that. you can prob. find the same ones at www.summitracing.com or similar. have you checked with K&N, UNI-FILTERS for replacements that would be correct ? :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they look like someone rigged them to fit, doesn't really look good imo...know where I can buy a replacement for the stock airbox?? Could you use open air filters like this guy did?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
do you want to GO BACK to the stock airbox or just put some REAL pods (individual airfilters) on the 500 ? if you want stock airbox then K&N will have an aftermarket filter for you. if you want PODS then K&N,UNI, etc. will have the correct filters. :wink: just remember you will have to jet accordingly if you go with aftermarket airfilters (airbox or not)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jet accordingly eh? Would that require buying a jet kit or just adjusting something on the carb itself??

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Lythian said:
Jet accordingly eh? Would that require buying a jet kit or just adjusting something on the carb itself??
if you go with a stock airbox/filter then NO CHANGES
if you go with a stock airbox with K&N FILTER then STAGE 1 JET KIT
if you go with the indiv. air filters then STAGE 3 JET KIT
good luck :wink:
whoever had the bike before you MAY have already done some jetting so youll have to pull the carbs and make sure before you buy the kit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, I am just trying to get the bike running again, I will probably just purchse a stock airbox, already have a carb rebuild kit coming. That would probably be my best bet, hopefully working on motorcycle carbs isnt too tough...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Should not be that hard to find a used OEM airbox with all the people that do mods to their bike. Try ebay or a local salvage yard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I always check ebay first, no luck tho...if anyone has one they are looking to get rid of let me know :)

I am going to check a few salvage yards Monday...if all else fails I'll just spend the money on a new one from Beartooth....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also check out www.ronayers.com

This website has microfiche which gives diagrams and part numbers for many makes and models of metric bikes. Very helpful. Just log on to the site, click on "fiche" and then select the make/ model of your bike.

This is one of the good e-tailers.... good prices and great service!

later,
Jason

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they have the 1990 EX500 as the earliest EX500...I wonder what differences are in the 90 and 89...good information tho :)

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lythian said:
they have the 1990 EX500 as the earliest EX500...I wonder what differences are in the 90 and 89...good information tho :)

Thanks for the link!
It is my understanding that the first generation of the EX500 model remained unchanged from its inception in 1987 through 1993, other than graphics and colors of the bodywork. So the info listed for the 1990 EX500 should be relevant. I'd call them and ask- they are extremely helpfull.

J

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, that was also my impression, I will have to put them on the list to call Monday :)

You all give out some very helpful information, hope one day I can return the favor~

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ORDER

Check into the carbs before you start ordering parts for an airbox or replacement filters or airpods...it will save you time and money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts