Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone dealt with Airtech before ?
I have an '83 GPz750 without a fairing and I am considering one of these

because I figure that I have a snowballs chance in hell of finding an origonal one on ebay or anywhere else.
My bike doesn't look like much at the moment, but it will shine soon enough.

Thanks for any info you can share.
Greg

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
didn't these bikes originally come with bullet fairings???? I think something like that would look better.

If I could find my kawi repair manual, there is a picture of a GPZ550 with a small bullet type fairing that looks really sharp. I will scan the photo and post it when I locate it.

Mack

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
GPZgreg,

Here is a picture of the1982 KZ550 H1 with the bullet fairing.(Found the book :lol: ) The photo came off of our Kawi service manual cover.

Heather

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the idea Mack and Heather, I have allready considered that option. I have seen a few of those fairings come up on ebay ocasionally, but they are for '83 and earlier GPz550's and '82 and earlier GPz 1100 and 750's. Here is what the earlier GPz fairings look like:

In 1983 Kawasaki came out with a radical new look for their GPz line and the 550 didn't get this style treatment for another year. Here is what a stock '83 GPz750 looks like:

You can see that not only is the fairing radically different, but the tank is more swoopy too. This style of body work has been called the race horse style, and there were no lower parts to the fairing. I like the way it looks better in stock form without the lower parts on the fairing and I think it would run cooler that way anyhow. The Airtech fairing I mentioned can be ordered without the lower parts, but appearantly does not come with any mounting hardware and it is not pre-drilled for mounting bolts. But it is an option that I might take if I can't find an origonal one.
I think the stubby little cafe fairings on the early GPz bikes looked awesome, but are not the right match for my bike. They look best with the more squared off gas tanks of the models that they came on.
Kawasaki (and the motorcycle buying public) liked that look enough to bring it back as the ZRX1200R, which I absolutly love, but can't afford just yet:

Sorry to boor you with all this,
Greg

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
GPzGreg said:
Has anyone dealt with Airtech before ?
I have an '83 GPz750 without a fairing and I am considering one of these

because I figure that I have a snowballs chance in hell of finding an origonal one on ebay or anywhere else.
My bike doesn't look like much at the moment, but it will shine soon enough.

Thanks for any info you can share.
Greg
for finding vintage fairings airtech is a good source. Lockhart Phillips made a nice fairing for the 750, but I would almost guess that it is out of production.

Airtech fairings tend not to be finished well, but maybe the only game in town at this point.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Greg,

I agree with you on the look of the faring now that I see what the original bike looks like. I will give my salvage yard a call and ask of they know of any of these farings. And let you know.

Heather

·
Registered
629 Posts
It is pretty hard to find good used fairings. My experince tells that most of the damage occurs at the mirrior mounts.

My PM to GPzGreg still stands. Get the Airtech, make the mounting brackets/ order from dealer, drill the correct holes, put new signals on it,

The amount of time that maybe required to repair the fairing and any other parts you get used is not worth it. In most cases, you will need to buy new brackets anyway. Plus with the Airtech stuff you will reduce weight. I think you will be happier with the results

As for cooling, the side fairings and the belly pan direct air to the engine.

I had that set-up on my other GPz750 and loved it. Very little wind blast on your legs and body.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I forgot this one. Try to get an '85 GPz900/750 front fender. They are angular, not rounded, and make the bike look a lot nicer.

The GPz750 is not stock. It ahs a 4-into1 header. Stock is 2-into-2 black pipes. You will have to replace the exhaust. MAC Performance Exhaust is the only one that still makes exhausts for these bikes.

:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice forest1000, I appreciate it !
I am going to contact them for the details.
I will post some pictures of my project when I get a little progress done.
Keep the shiny side up,
Greg

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'll you anytime. Restoring such a classic bike is grerat. Are you keeping the same colours or painting it?

One more thing(s) on my long list.

1. Check the wiring, undo all the tape and check for burnt insulation and repair as required. Auto electrical plastic butt joints and heat shrink tubing work great.
2. Remove all the parts you can and check the welds for surface rust.
3. You will need new fork seals.
4. Check the steering head and swing arm for worn bearings (i.e. speed wobble).

If can think of more, I'll PM you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great news guys !
I found a stock fairing at a bike shop about a two hour drive from my house. And he only wants $200 for it.
I'm stoked.
Thanks for the suggestions and offers, I greatly appreciate it !
This board is a fantastic place to make connections, locate resources and learn things. I'm glad I found this place.
Greg :D :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts