Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched just about everywhere and couldn't find anything about this...

Recently, I adjusted my chain. It was a bit too loose, so I went and tightened it up. I ended up tightening it up too much, so I had to loosen the rear wheel to kick it up to being too loose again. I set the tension properly, but now the chain clicks irregularly when I move backwards (not when I go forwards though...). I have lubricated the chain and made sure both chain tensioners were synchronized, but the problem persists. What I'm thinking is that the rear sprocket and front sprocket are not aligned properly, but I have no idea as to how to fix that, or if it is even the problem.

My bike is a 1980 KZ440, all stock, and it had been running perfectly before this!

Has anyone heard of this happening before, or know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
If the chain has stretched beyond service limits or the sprocket is worn you will get the clicking when you tighten the chain up to where it should be. I'd suspect it's time to replace chain and sprockets but you can measure the chain to see and inspect the sprockets to see how badly they are worn.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
If you notice the teeth on the rear sprocket starting to wear or "Hook", it's time to replace both chain and sprockets. Change them as new parts are quickly worn out with old parts.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've also seen where a chain will stretch only within severall links. In other words measure the chain slack with a ruler, rotate the wheel say another 90 degrees, then measure again, you might have a substantially different measurement. This means the chain is junk, this causes the chain to "climb" out of the sprocket up the teeth, This causes clicking, and abnormal vibrations at highway speeds

1 - 4 of 4 Posts