Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to give everyone a giggle. i have an 89 kz1000 police that i absolutely love! i am a novice rider, but tryin to get better! a good friend kf mine just purchased his first bike, a 2003 HD sportster 883 anniv. edition. its a really nice bike (too much chrome for me). but for the $ he spent on it, it better be nice! i tried convinceing him to go with a cheaper bike at 1st, just cuz bad things happen to new/inexperianced riders. well, jt happened today! he put the kickstand down on the sidewalk infront of his house, and it slipped off the edge... CRASH!!! i got the phone call to hurry to his house. i rushed over & it was still layin there. how sad! he didnt know how to pick it up and not do more damage. long story short, he is now wishing he had a cheaper bike! lookin at about $1200 in small parts and paint. sorry bro, but i told you! and for all you kz lovers, i BLOW HIS DOORS OFF!!! he hates it, but i love it! speed, comfort and gobbs of power, gotta appreciate it!!!

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Bummer that he dropped the bike! How true on the KZ vs any v-twin! I get wood everytime I romp one these Hardleys or the "metric cruisers" here in town :wink: Its kinda cool when some these old boys comin around to show off their "Hyper Chargers" and the latest $800 pipes(guarnteed to be loud and sound even faster)and run ol Baby Doll!:biggrin: They still use KZs as the benchmark for speed, "you got a fast bike if it will almost keep up with a KZ1000!" :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, not cool he dropped it. but in all honesty, hes the guy (we all have a friend like him!) with more money than brains. ive built my bike on a tight budget(also meaning, "the stuff i can buy with out my wife knowing" =-)) just his purchase of the bike was easily twice what i have in mine total. makes me appreciate what i have even more!

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's funny but don't make fun of the guy, everyone has done things that look stupid from across the street. But, people should get serious and start on an easier bike to learn. There's nothing wrong with driving a 350 (actually, I SO want to get a large one cylinder 4 cycle thumper, what should I be looking for?) One other thing (and I don't want to hijack the post) BUT Zoro talked about, "the latest $800 pipes(guarnteed to be loud and sound even faster) OK, when I was a younger rider, we used to worry about the cops stopping us if we had modified the exhaust. What happened? Every Harley-style bike now has straight pipes and I don't see anyone ever being stopped. I used to live on a busy street and the straight pipes would sound for miles, I didn't like it and of course, they aren't racers, duh! Anyway, why don't kids nowadays have to keep in line? (my guess is that they aren't kids anymore, just Boomers with cops for friends?) I don't live on that street nowadays so I don't have to hear it. Haha, just laughin'

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not making fun of him, just pokeing fun! he is one of my best friends and i wouldnt post anything on here i wont say to his face. ive already givin him a rash of crap about it all! as far as pipes go, i thinkin its all up to the cop who want to be an A-hole and pick on you! ive got a friend who has an intruder 1400 and he enjoys pullin the baffels and watchin people cover their ears. never had any trouble with police on it. i live in a small town in the center of kansas, thinkin the cops just dont care. thanks guys!

·
Registered
115 Posts
ya, not cool he dropped it. but in all honesty, hes the guy (we all have a friend like him!) with more money than brains. ive built my bike on a tight budget(also meaning, "the stuff i can buy with out my wife knowing" =-)) just his purchase of the bike was easily twice what i have in mine total. makes me appreciate what i have even more!
I got that same type of budget! :lol: !!

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
Anyone who has dropped their bike knows it's the longest 1.5 seconds in the world! I can still see the SR going over on its right side that day in the garage. Fortunately, there was already a bit of rash on the muffler and it only cost me the brake lever. I only wish that feeling on a small select group of people. :D

I think most everyone knows someone with more money than sense who are a perfect match for this era of instant gratification. Enjoy your kopcicle, Brad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dropping a new bike sucks. Well, dropping any bike sucks but a new one is that much worse. Ouch!

Just the same, if you were to offer me a new harley or the equivalent in cash for spiffy bike parts, I'd take the parts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i hear ya on that snoman! i had a close call when i first started rideing. but i managed to save it! but there is a big size diffrence between us! im 6'6" 275lbs and he is only 5'5" and 125lbs. so with a dropping bike, i had an advantage. even tho my bike is alot heavier than his!

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
Next time I head out McPherson way, I'll keep an eye out for you, LOL!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thatd be awesome nate. ever been to the marquette motorcycle museum? my friend an i just took a nice ride out there to check it out. VERY COOL! id suggest that anyone coming thru here should stop and check it out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
just wanted to give everyone a giggle. i have an 89 kz1000 police that i absolutely love! i am a novice rider, but tryin to get better! a good friend kf mine just purchased his first bike, a 2003 HD sportster 883 anniv. edition. its a really nice bike (too much chrome for me). but for the $ he spent on it, it better be nice! i tried convinceing him to go with a cheaper bike at 1st, just cuz bad things happen to new/inexperianced riders. well, jt happened today! he put the kickstand down on the sidewalk infront of his house, and it slipped off the edge... CRASH!!! i got the phone call to hurry to his house. i rushed over & it was still layin there. how sad! he didnt know how to pick it up and not do more damage. long story short, he is now wishing he had a cheaper bike! lookin at about $1200 in small parts and paint. sorry bro, but i told you! and for all you kz lovers, i BLOW HIS DOORS OFF!!! he hates it, but i love it! speed, comfort and gobbs of power, gotta appreciate it!!!
Hey, my ex used to have a KZ-400 twin. She could blow the doors off the 883s at will. HD should have their heads examined (collectively) and be embarrassed for selling them. They are POS through and through. The 60s 900 Sportsters were a hundred times quicker! If HD wanted to market an overweight 300, they should have just built one!

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
I've seem people do similar things.

Sadly, people go out and buy the biggest, heaviest motorcycle to learn on. It was a couple of years ago I watched a rider dump a GL1500 in an intersection - he just could not hold the bike upright. Then he couldn't lift it back up. With traffic backing up around him, he was a little more than embarassed. It turns out he'd only been riding a few weeks.

I wish people were FORCED to spend a year or more on smaller, more sensible machines before they can graduate to the big bloated heavyweights.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I wish people were FORCED to spend a year or more on smaller, more sensible machines before they can graduate to the big bloated heavyweights.
He dropped an 883 Sporty, it wasn't a GoldWing. We have all dropped a bike at one time or another and if you haven't, well, your either not a rider, or not honest. "FORCED?" :toetap: Liberty and Freedom Jeff, this is still "Free America," "Those who would give up a little freedom for security will lose both and deserve neither!" Thomas Jefferson said that. Where there is "force," there can be no freedom! :wink: F%#K Force and unnecessary laws!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cjclaus, ya these old kawi's are crazy fast! while rideing with my buddy yesterday, we slowed down on an old hwy to maybe 15mph, as we putted down the road i asked him if he wanted to open up his bike. he said hell ya an jumped on the throttle. i let him get maybe 30 yards away from me, then i grabbed 1st gear and cranked the throttle. needless to say, i was beside him before i could shift outta second, and was WAAAYYY past him when i let out of it. i can still see his face in my mirror, jaw dropped and a dissappointed scowl on his face! when we stopped, he didnt know what to say! i told him that all the chrome on his harley was pretty, but it doesnt make it fast! i think he learned alittle respect for older bikes and the power that can come from them! i loved it!!!

·
Finally Free
142 Posts
Reminds me of when I took the MSF class. the 2nd day (test day) a girl joined us that had taken the class a week before, but failed the test. She had brought her own brand new bmw bike to ride that day. It was so sad to see such a tiny girl on a large, expensive bike. It wasn't long before she dropped it hard...

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
I remember dropping my Connie the first time. Just plain forgot to put the kickstand down. Just about broke my leg! The second time, well, it was chilly out before the sun warmed up that asphalt, I found stuck in the parking lot. **** lucky there wasn't a car next to me when she went over. But, my buddies bike cracked my lower fairing when his tried to hump mine after his met the same fate. Mine was just a better cushion.

Just like riding, either those that have gone down or those that are going down, there are those that have picked 'em up and those that will pick 'em up.

And Choco, look for an SR500 single thumper. They're nice, I still wish I had mine. Red, white and black with a sound only a thumper makes. I'd better stop there, Ima go find a tissue.

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
thatd be awesome nate. ever been to the marquette motorcycle museum? my friend an i just took a nice ride out there to check it out. VERY COOL! id suggest that anyone coming thru here should stop and check it out!
It's on my list of things to do, but, no, I've not made it out there yet. I got a neighbor who's been wanting to get his KZ750E1 going for a few years. He's laid off so has plenty of time but not much extra cash. I've not seen him in a while. If he'd get that thing going, some day trips would be good fun.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts