Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for all you 1600 classic riders out there. Just got a 2007 1600 about three weeks ago and have been riding as much as the weather allows. Coming home from work yesterday morning the roads were wet from a lot of rain. I've been down this stretch of road hundreds of times on the 500ltd when the roads were just as wet. There is a small patch of asphalt that they patched last summer and when I hit that with the 1600 let the fish tailing begin! Kept her straight and rode through it without incident but let me tell you I still haven't been able to dislodge the ole fruit of the looms yet!! I have noticed the front end of my 1600 seems "jumpy" with the steering. When at speed if I barely wiggle the handle bars it really seems to transmit to the rest of the bike. Never had this with the 500. Is this normal, or could it be something else? Currently my tire pressure is 35psi front and rear. I know many on this forum are running 40/40. Should I increase my pressure or could this be something else if anything at all? Just wanted to get some advice since this forum and it's members are a blessing. Thanks and I'll try to post back but I might be busy trying to pry those underwear out of my neather region! :eek:

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Woohoo... hang on! It happens and it isn't much fun, but a good learning experience. I run 40/40 but there isn't anything wrong with your pressure. Wiggling the bars at even moderate speed will send a twitch through almost any cruiser. Normal. New asphalt is oily and can be trecherous in the wet. You did exactly the right thing.... keep on riding and never quit. I have seen several crashes where the rider, for some reason, decided to quit riding, put their feet out, straightened the bike up or bailed. Riding through it is the correct action. I have found my 1600 to very stable under a wide range of conditions. I run Metzler ME 880's and find them superior in most conditions. Hope you are able to retrieve those Fruit-of-the-Looms!

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
WOW! :eek:
I don't ride a 1600, but like you I went from a smaller bike (Suzuki Intuder 800) to a Cruiser bike (900) and noticed a BIG difference in the handling!!!! I think you'll get more used to how it handles different situations in time. I LOVE my 900 and would NEVER go back to a smaller bike again!!!!

By the way, hubby rode the 900 and just upgraded to a 1600 Nomad. Even he said he has to get used to different handling issues and weight. He even admitted to me that on our Polar Bear ride January 1st, he stalled the bike twice that day, and had the rear tire slide on him in a curve with rock salt still around!!!! :shock:

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, still getting used to the handling differences. I know the stock tires are still new and not as good imo as the me880's I had on the 500. Just glad the bike didn't go down! CheriAnn, I think you and I started riding about the same time. I remember reading your posts about riding around your backyard! Pretty amazing how far and how fast one can truly progress with riding! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Yeah, still getting used to the handling differences. I know the stock tires are still new and not as good imo as the me880's I had on the 500. Just glad the bike didn't go down! CheriAnn, I think you and I started riding about the same time. I remember reading your posts about riding around your backyard! Pretty amazing how far and how fast one can truly progress with riding! :mrgreen:
Yup - December 10 was my first anniversary as a "rider". The progression over the course of the year for us all in our rookie years is great.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reunion sounds great except it would be a first time meet and greet for me! The old 500 was a little small to be riding for a very long distance. The 1600 however just fits the bill!:biggrin:

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Reunion sounds great except it would be a first time meet and greet for me! The old 500 was a little small to be riding for a very long distance. The 1600 however just fits the bill!:biggrin:
That's right! That means you can start making some of these meet and greet meetings!!!! :biggrin:

By the way, I'm really impressed with you!!! You made a BIG leap from 500 to 1600!!!

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AWWWW, well shucks CheriAnn!! Thanks for the good thoughts, you're making me blush all over!! Took me a couple of spins down the road to start getting a feel for her, other than that wet patch episode it has been pretty smooth!:redface: :biggrin:

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Got a question for all you 1600 classic riders out there. Just got a 2007 1600 about three weeks ago and have been riding as much as the weather allows. Coming home from work yesterday morning the roads were wet from a lot of rain. I've been down this stretch of road hundreds of times on the 500ltd when the roads were just as wet. There is a small patch of asphalt that they patched last summer and when I hit that with the 1600 let the fish tailing begin! Kept her straight and rode through it without incident but let me tell you I still haven't been able to dislodge the ole fruit of the looms yet!! I have noticed the front end of my 1600 seems "jumpy" with the steering. When at speed if I barely wiggle the handle bars it really seems to transmit to the rest of the bike. Never had this with the 500. Is this normal, or could it be something else? Currently my tire pressure is 35psi front and rear. I know many on this forum are running 40/40. Should I increase my pressure or could this be something else if anything at all? Just wanted to get some advice since this forum and it's members are a blessing. Thanks and I'll try to post back but I might be busy trying to pry those underwear out of my neather region! :eek:
You mentioned that when at speed and you barely wiggly your handle bars . it really transmits through the rest of the bike. Do you mean the bikes shakes, especially in the front end?
If so, that is usually a sign of improper tire inflation (yours sounds ok) or worn steering parts,loose wheel bearings, loose spokes, or swingarm bearings, or a bent rim (these I would assume are ok as the bike is new) I would check if it persists (wobbling) to recheck your balance on your front tire. A wobble also occures when a load is improperly balanced on your bike. I see no saddle bags, so that is probally is not it. But I would do this also, check your manual, I would make sure that any spring preload, air shocks, or any dampeners of any sort are at correct settings for your bikes load
Oh if it hap[pens to shake again, try to get your weight as low as possible and as forward as possible when coming to a stop.
This info will help if I understand the problem correctly, meaning that the bike wobbles at times. Hope you get it figgured out. but different bikes react differently whether they are low to the ground or high , light or heavy, etc.
Keep us informed.
I almost forgot, did you have 35 psi in both after it happened? I just mean did you recheck it to see if one of the tires could have had a leak?

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
My 1500 was quite fussy about having a hard front tire or it would have a lot of "head shake" with no hands deceleration. I ran 41/38.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts