Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys.I almost bought a Hyosung GT250R today but I decided to get the 2007 Ninja 250r.Hyosung definitely had me sold on the looks but their track record is not so good. I was hoping to hold out for the 08' but I just couldnt wait any longer.LOL
In any case I got a question about gear.I am new to riding so i wanted to get some opinions on what gear is the best.Dont really have the bucks right now for Shoie or Arie(?) What's best after that?Any input would be great.Thanks and safe riding!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I think that there's a sticky pertaining to helmets and a couple of articles that were written on the subject in the Main Lobby. If you don't feel like reading an in depth, dry article about helmets, I'll give you the Cliff's Notes:

As long as the helmet is DOT approved, you're fine. After that, it's all up to what features you want and which helmet fits you best. Sure, some of the more expensive helmets (like my Shoei RF1000) might absorb a few more g's if your head hits the ground, but don't bank it. If it's DOT approved, you know that the helmet has passed some pretty strict gov't standards. Just try on a bunch of helmets before you buy.

Definitely get boots in addition to gloves and a jacket because that foot and ankle protection is a must. Pants will give you added protection, but they aren't as necessary as a jacket and gloves are.

If you're on a budget try looking at some of the heavy textile jackets. I found a nice TourMaster jacket for like $150 that has the typical armor, vents all over the place for the summer and a removable liner for the winter.

Like helmets, try on as many pairs of gloves and boots that you can and try on a lot of different jackets.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I looked at them too as we have a dealer about three miles from me. Way too much money and a bad track record to boot. I bought the Ninja and don't regret it one bit. My first Kawasaki and so far it has been a good experience. I have a HJC helmet to match my bike and I really like it as well. If you haven't bought the Ninja yet what are you waiting for. Get it, go ride and have some fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.I am hoping to pick it up from the dealership on Saturday.Had to drive an hour to find a red one.Go figure.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Man that's really funny cause I bought a 2007 250 and it's red. Man I love that bike. I just got done taking off all the flame decals and put on a 15 tooth sprocket. I got to say the 15 tooth sprocket is a big plus as most of my riding is at about 45 to 50 MPH. I am getting 67 to 71 MPG so far. I have about 900 miles on it so far, did the 500 mile valve adjust and changed the oil as well as the coolant. They are sweet little bikes

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
Not sure where you live, but I've got to ask. What kind of riding season do you have left? If it's not much - then I think you're making a mistake not waiting for the '08's.

Of course that's easy for me to say - I've already got a bike (or 2) that I can ride. But the difference in the 08's is SO significant, that I'd have to pass on an '07 unless they were just giving them away.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
You gonna ride that bike home or truck it? Sometimes dealers have fairly decent priced helmets. Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not sure where you live, but I've got to ask. What kind of riding season do you have left? If it's not much - then I think you're making a mistake not waiting for the '08's.

Of course that's easy for me to say - I've already got a bike (or 2) that I can ride. But the difference in the 08's is SO significant, that I'd have to pass on an '07 unless they were just giving them away.
+1. The 2007 is a fine bike, but I wouldnt bother unless it was dirt cheap, because the 2008 is just so much nicer.

That being said you'll enjoy the '07 because it's YOUR bike, and no one elses. :smile:

·
Gear Head
434 Posts
I actually like the Hyosung bikes, but I will agree that the 250 needs a bit of work.

I'm waiting for the 1000cc that I've been hearing rumors about.

Anywho, congratz on the new bike, and good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man that's really funny cause I bought a 2007 250 and it's red. Man I love that bike. I just got done taking off all the flame decals and put on a 15 tooth sprocket. I got to say the 15 tooth sprocket is a big plus as most of my riding is at about 45 to 50 MPH. I am getting 67 to 71 MPG so far. I have about 900 miles on it so far, did the 500 mile valve adjust and changed the oil as well as the coolant. They are sweet little bikes
Did the decals come off rather easily?I think they look a little "faux".LOL.After much thought last night, I think i will call the dealer and have him process the black one in stead.Whats up with the 15 tooth sprockets?What do they do for the bike?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I live in alabama so weather is pretty decent here MOST of the time.Dont get me wrong, I LOVVVVVEEEEE the look of the '08.It is one sporty little number.However, I just want to start riding.Heck I'm not even sure if I am going to like riding.Only time will tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its funny ya'll said I should wait on the '08.The husband said the same thing as I was so in love with the looks.I just need a bike to learn on - not live on.I hope I can keep up with the husband.......

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Welcome! You should have waited lol The new ones look very sexy.
As for helmets, I ride with a Shoei, but Scorpion is a good helmet for a VERY good price. And the new EXO1000's have some cool features

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
You are commended for your wisdom, Grasshopper. A decision you will never regret.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts