Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here thought of doing a propane conversion on a motorcycle? I've been thinking about it but haven't dug up much info on the net. I've seen a couple sites that mention a group from Virginia Tech doing a conversion but nothing really that gives any detail on procedure or manufactures that make the nessesary parts.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
conversions

Propane in a vehicle is surrounded by a safe zone...a bike would be literally riding a bomb. Still though go to epa and look up their information and you will find a link...Riding a motorcycle is risky in the city, but riding with propane...I don't think Homeland security will be very open about it if you try it right now...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
EPA

You may actualy have more luck with the 48Vdc (battery) systems like Cloud and several of the other 48Volt organizations

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
INFACT

Either Diesel or corn alcohol would be better avenues at this point. Several of the Atv companies are using diesel because gas puts off flamable vapors wher the diesel doesn't..and diesel makes more power per cubic? than gas does. Kawasaki Mule, Polaris ATV, several compaies make diesel engines for smaller vehicles...check out the Egnima(Egnigma) a diesel/battery powered car that was produced in S.Cal...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my mind set on propane but really I'm open to any alternative fuel ideas. I just think it would be a fun project.

I'd actually feel safer with propane between my legs than gasoline though. Propane is flammable, but has a much narrower range of flammability than gasoline and much higher ignition temperature 920- 1020 degrees vs. 80- 300 degrees for gasoline. Propane will only burn with a fuel-to-air ratio of between 2.2% and 9.6% and will rapidly dissipate beyond its flammability range in the open atmosphere-making ignition unlikely if there was a leak. Not to mention that propane tanks are build VERY strong.

Another reason I'm set on Propane is the fact that about %90 of propane used in the US, comes from our own sources.

Matt

·
Registered
487 Posts
unpressurized gas will flash, pressurized gas goes boom. You may end up with some really funny ear muffs :lol:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FUELS

I'd say go for it...there are conversion kist for automobile engines. Ther are quite a few propane trucks and cars out her in kansas...even on the farms!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts