Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the peak power output is of the alternator on a Ninja EX500? I have a 2005, if that matters.

I'm looking into getting Gerbing heated gloves, and they draw 22 watts. I want to make sure the charging system can handle the draw before I buy them!

Here's what the Gerbing web site says...

"Add up your power needs and subtract them from your alternators peak power output (available from your dealer). For example, if the bike puts out 280 watts, and 130 watts are needed to run the bike, then 150 watts remain. There is plenty of power for a Gerbing's jacket or jacket liner at 77 watts."

http://www.gerbing.com/pages/info/instructions.html

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You need someone to chime in that has a service manual to look at the numbers. It may be in your owners manual, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The manual only shows voltage, not watts.

Alternator output voltage
56 V or more @ 4000 rpm

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yeah, I looked in the owners manual too, but they don't give alternator output information. Hopefully someone with a true service manual will have the answer for me!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thats what I used for that information. I have the Kawasaki Service Manual.

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Joe. Does it say anything about how many amps it puts out? If I can find out the amperage, I can multiply it by the volt figure you've given me and find out total watts.

Then I just have to figure out how many watts the bike uses to see if there is any free wattage left over for heated equipment. :?

·
Registered
412 Posts
The only thing I can find is

Rated output.
17 A - 14 V @ 6000 rpm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again! If I'm figuring it out right, that means it's putting out 238 watts. So my next challenge will be to figure out how much of that the bike already uses.

The owners manual gives information about some of the electrical equipment and says the headlight takes 55 watts on low, 60 on high, the tail light is 5 watts, and the brake lights are 21 watts each.

What else is there? The turn signals and the horn are not used all the time, so I guess that's why they don't include those figures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts