Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually use Gunk engine degreaser on my car engines, but I've read that iron engine degreasers are NOT good for aluminum engines! So what is a good product for aluminum? Someone said the Gunk Foamy spray won't hurt aluminum. Correct??

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd stay away from the Castrol cleaners as I've read that can spot/tarnish aluminum surfaces.It always helps to read what the cleaner is safe on before purchasing it.

I use dishwashing soap or if the engine is greasey,the spray on STP engine foaming cleaners.A good clean paint brush will help work the cleaning compound in tight areas.

Avoid using a high pressure water stream to rinse with as it may force the soap/cleaning solution inside electrical connectors causing corrosion later on.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i use a product called grease off .i spray it on let set rinse with a hose and it is clean with no scrubbin,i will have to get the number of the manufacture cause i have to order it from a travleing salesman can not find this stuff no where else. i use it on my equipment at work and the engines are aluminum no pittin etc just the best degreaser i found yet. spray nine works well to Spray Nine Corporation the web site.

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
What about using aluminum mag wheel cleaner? Mothers Wheel Mist All Wheel Cleaner

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
heavy grease cutters like gunk will lift the clearcoat on the aluminum. If it is not clear coated it will oxidize it and turn it white.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd suggest getting the spray on brush on oven cleaner on any Anodized Alumnum parts as it will quickly strip the colors off of them.

It might work well for cleaning bare Aluminum engine parts, but use care(rubber gloves & eye protection) when using them.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
I haven't seen any KZ's with clearcoat on the motors.

I tried the stuff that's used to remove dirt and corrosion from air conditioner condensers, and while it did a bang up job of making the aluminum look freshly cast, I had to re-polish all the polished surfaces. I don't think I'll use it again.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just use Auto Zone....

spray on engine cleaner. Works great. I have used non-acid aluminum wheel cleaner too. Just use a parts brush to get into the hard to reach places.....chris3

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes sir spray degreasers wont hurt it and keep in mind that do not apply it fo a loong period of time , I use spray degreasers and I remove it after 20 minutes so that it does not damage the parts.
------------------
RX Marine was established in 1996 in Mumbai, India; as chemical manufacturing company catering exclusively to the needs of the marine industry. In a short span of 12 years the company has established itself as one of the leading wholesale suppliers of a wide range of chemicals for - Marine industry internationally - and other local industires and plants. Our client list bears testimony to this. The RXSOL policy has its foundations on two pillars of strength - a continuous investment in research and development to deliver premium quality products and a commitment to service.

-------------------
Degreaser

1 - 15 of 15 Posts