Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
97 Vulcan 800
22 Posts
I just started riding again and it really is amazing how many people will stop at an intersection look right at you then start pulling out then hit their breaks when they Finally see you.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I just started riding again and it really is amazing how many people will stop at an intersection look right at you then start pulling out then hit their breaks when they Finally see you.
Happens to me all the time.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Definitely watch your behind. Only place I don't feel secure is at a stop sign/light.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
That's just freaking awful! Like one of the posters on the article said, "Can't use the excuse he didn't see them this time" unless of course he was on his phone! :mad: I hope they throw the book at this guy!!!!! Pulling out if front of someone and saying you didn't see them is one thing, but to plow into a group of 8 bikes at a stop light???!!! He either fell asleep or just wasn't paying attention!!! WTF!!!

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Wonder if he was texting. People that do something like that should be euthanized.

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
Stuff like this happens all too frequently. Even more so now since its the beginning of the riding season.

Lucky...

·
Registered
460 Posts
What I also read somewhere, is that 25% of all motorcycle accidents occur when a motorcycle is going to fast or too slow compared to the pace of the rest of the traffic.
So adapting your speed to the pace is important and slower riding is not neccesarily safer...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Vehicular manslaughter charges better be laid on that jerk. Unless he's got a real good story that he can pin on the group ride, that sorry sob.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
This is absolutely my biggest fear when riding. I always stop several yards behind the car ahead and watch my rear-view mirrors, ready to pull out of the way at any time.

There has been some debate (even here on this forum) about whether to put the motorcycle into neutral when stopping or whether to leave it in first gear with the clutch in. I believe in the latter, always ready to pull away from someone behind me.

:cry:

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
This is absolutely my biggest fear when riding. I always stop several yards behind the car ahead and watch my rear-view mirrors, ready to pull out of the way at any time.

There has been some debate (even here on this forum) about whether to put the motorcycle into neutral when stopping or whether to leave it in first gear with the clutch in. I believe in the latter, always ready to pull away from someone behind me.

:cry:
Yeh, I can't see a sensible reason not to have the bike in the ready position at any stoplight. Leaving your bike in nuetral is just asking for trouble.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I try to stop just left or right of the car in front of me. That way, if I'm rear-ended, I'll squirt out alongside the car in front, rather than getting pancaked in-between the two bumpers.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
I try to stop just left or right of the car in front of me. That way, if I'm rear-ended, I'll squirt out alongside the car in front, rather than getting pancaked in-between the two bumpers.
This is what I do too. I have had to do that before too.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Good reminder...I always angle to one side or the other to give myself an escape route...leave the bike in gear, watch the mirrors, and be ready to go at moment's notice.

Rich, when he was here, had a story about being stopped at a construction zone and having to move onto the shoulder to avoid getting creamed...ever since then I've been VERY aware of what escape routes I've left myself.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
There really is no debate on that. There are the people that are do like they are originally instructed and leave it in gear ready to get out of the way and those that ignore or were never taught correctly.

My only experience with lane splitting was when in front of me a highway assist officer thought it was important to cut across all three lanes of superslab highway to help someone with a flat. I saw the stupid move, saw the smoke coming from the tires in front saw the smoke coming from the tires behind me and found me a hole to drive through. The car that was comfortably 2-3 seconds behind me stopped about 2 feet short of the bumper of the car that was over 2 seconds in front of me. I stopped by the front guys door. Shoulda seen him relax after the guy behind him got stopped. He looked at me and waved me on, I took off. I think we all honked and flipped off the 'Safety' guy.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I almost always have my bike in first when i stop, and i stop a length behind the car in front of me for situations like this. I, fortunantly, have not had to use my escape route yet, but the dice will roll it sometime and I hope im ready. But for when i do put her in first to dig in my pockets for whatever reason or just to stretch them both and she doesnt always shift back into first.

·
Late starter...
797 Posts
I leave mine in gear at all times, but it would not have helped much in this situation. Poor riders were probably 2x2 4 deep with vehicles in front. Not much chance of escape. Truck driver should have been beaten within a 1/2 of his life at the scene........................

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
One of my favorite and more terrifying experience was driving on the interstate in Fargo here, doing about 60 indicated, when a NDHP pulls over on the right shoulder, then cuts straight across all three lanes right the fu** in front of me. And when I say right in front of me, I mean way less than stopping distance in front of me. I almost hit him, almost high-sided, and almost went down. This was on my Shadow Sabre so the brakes were nowhere near as good as what I have now. I blasted my wimpy little horn at him and barked the pipes and flipped him off. He didn't even notice. He was cutting across to get to a cut-across to pull someone over for speeding. Good reason to almost kill me.

This isn't to disparage cops in any way (I have a good deal of respect for them and they job they do), just that him being HP made it even more memorable.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I leave mine in gear at all times, but it would not have helped much in this situation. Poor riders were probably 2x2 4 deep with vehicles in front. Not much chance of escape. .......................
If I'm in that group, the vehicle in front has no bearing on anything...I stop with enough distance to clear it (which is easy when off to one side). 2X2 also doesn't change anything for me, as I'm always going to angle to one side or the other anyway...so that I can run between the lanes or off the shoulder out of the way.

Just my opinion, but I hate the 'throw your hands up and accept there's nothing you could do' mentality. It doesn't force you to think...plan ahead...or expect something to happen. Thats not to say you can always avoid an accident in the real world...sometimes the stars line up perfectly to eliminate all of your escape routes. But refusing to accept that in your head makes you constantly think of ways to get out...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts