Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited a major Motorcycle Salvage Yard this weekend. When I first entered the yard there was a $25,000.00 Kawasaki Rune setting there...then things only got worse. AS I walked by some of the bikes in the yard I had to stop and gather myself. I have witnessed death numerous times, and this was a true graveyard. I couldn't help to wonder how many people had died, were physically or mentally maimed, or how many of these people were back on the road after such tragic and traumatic events in their lives. I think motorcycles are wonderful. I have ridden for the most part of 30 years. I have lost a couple friends and relatives...It'll never happen to me...perhaps. I think that if you are looking at motorcycles as a hobby or just something exciting to do, you should visit a motorcycle salvage yard. If ou are not ready to do this then you are not ready to ride a motorcycle. IF you can handle the salvage yard, then you are probably ready to handle a real motorcycle. What size is right for me? we gget that question all the time on teh FORUM. I also saw lots of 600 class bikes...and I saw over a dozen NINJA 250R's, and 8 or 9 500R's just in Kawasaki bikes alone. If you think htat you are ready fine, but look around first and ask yourself...after you have witnessed the destruction of the motorcycles. When I returned to my van, I sat there for maybe 5 minutes collecting myself. What a tragedy, and waste of man and machine...AM I ready...I am ready to visit the yard again...this time I will be ready.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SERIOUSLY SOBERING

I DON'T know about acid or drugs except for meds and LOTS of coffee. It's easy to set/hide behind a keyboard and not know the abilities of the First time want-to-be riders. My step-son may be 21, 6'4" 170 pounds and interested in motorcycles but the Forum would be wrong to even suggest that he get behind the set of handlebars. Without knowing the ability of the riders both mentally and physically, I think that it is wrong to simply say "callously" that hte 250 is just a beginners bike, the 600's are to much power and the 500 is "just right"...that goes on on almost every answer from the FORUM. Fixing bikes and offering parts advice is one thing, but suggesting the size of the bike should only be given when you know more about their abilities. Dirt riding, ATV rider, how are you on a bicycle, have you ridden before, have you spent many hours on the back of a saddle...I THINK THAT IF YOU CAN HONESTLY JUST GIVE BLANKET ADVICE YOU NEED T VISIT THE SALVAGE YARD TOO! It's not a bad thing to visit one, even for the want-to-be rider. When you see the boneyard it is Seriously Sobering, and nothing to be joked about. I'm not kidding when I say this. If you have lost respect for yourself, your bike or for the newbie, or have become displacent because of your abilities, you need a serious wake up call. Some of the FORUM people have never been on a bike before...or NEVER done acid either.

·
Registered
380 Posts
:roll:

uncalled for comments from the michigan gallery I see...

Yeah, I've found many a good deal/items for in all sorts of salvage yards... even if some folks think it's a crazy idea... :?

oh well... that's diveristy for ya...

And I agree, the 250 is definately a viable option for a bike... heh, since I'm buying one next month. And I only happen to be 6'5 and 250 or something(it's been a while since I've seen a scale). :lol:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Well good points were brought up here, salvage yards other than just being places to pick up parts cheap are also a barometer of what's going on on the roads. This is where a lot of bikes owned by the " I don't want to outgrow it" crowd end up.

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Gentlemen: Although everyone's imput into this forum is very important I think we need to keep it on the light side. This forum is a place for everyone to gather and exchange idea's and have fun. I think everyone is very aware of how dangerous motorcycles, snowmobiles, automobiles, horses, camping, mountain climbing, mountain biking and I could go on forever but I don't think it would be benefical to any of us for me to ramble on about it. Everyone has an opinion on any subject you would choose to discuss however sometimes we need to be mature enough to use some discretion. I will add however I think it is very benifical to discuss the size of bike and rider as well as experience and I would like to remind my friend from Kansas you will see the same carnage in any wrecking yard you walk into rather it be any of the above vehicles mentioned, after all it is a (wrecking) yard. Thanks for all the posts people and let's have some fun 8)

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Not to worry, I am not trying to single anyone out, I just want to keep the forum friendly and fun! Thanks for the posts and I hope you enjoy the forum! 8)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i agree with kawi-forums are a place to express opinions,everybody has one and they are entitiled to it.just because one does not agree with an opinion is no cause to flame or put down anybody.that's what makes this forum great -a difference of opinions-folks can make their own judgments and desisions based on the views expressed.any recommendation i
put forth to a new rider is in good faith based on the info that they supply regarding
their ability.i stand by the fact that smaller cc bikes are appropriate for beginners and i
believe that is a fair and resonable recommendation.new riders come here seeking answers
and advice from experienced riders,that 's why they ask the questions.after nearly 30 years
of riding i feel qualified to offer suggestions based on my experience,and will continue to do so as long as the board allows me.i'm not here to get into a contest with anyone.i have a
sincere concern to help educate new riders and help them make informed decisions.any
thought i express on any given subject is just that,it is not the gospel just my thoughts.
like kawi,i think folks should pay more attention to the people asking the question than the ones answering them.i respect every opinion offered here regerdless of whether i agree with it.spending time disagreeing with answers is not helping the person asking the questions.
i do not question anybody's ability here nor do i expect mine to be questioned,that is
mutual respect for something we all share and that is a love for motorcycling.if anyone
has a problem with any advise i may give then email me and we can discuss it,but the forum is not the place to question the validity of someones view.with that said respect
the views posted here and take them for what they are-personal views and learn from them :wink: :D

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GROUP HUG

Uncle Bob, As a Forum Family Member that would all make us Cousins. Now Family Fueding is kinda constructive when the adults get involved. I haven't met all of my Cousins but a great big group hug would be nice. Canada is quite the drive for some of us...so I guess that it has to be done on the web...darn. I'm OKAY here with everyone in the FORUM. Really. I get cranky at my wife and she has me do my own supper...quite effective. I feel that I must appologize to my cousins, so "I'm Sorry. Each of us are on here to have fun and help each other." I like Kawasaki better than Harley, or those other want to be's. Let them help in making strides for our benefit, and may Kawasaki continue making the motorcycle that is Safe and Fun for ALL of us.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm orry guys, but me and a buddy whent into a salvage yard one time. We could NOT stop laughing. I don't know what it was, but we saw a ZX6RR with the fairing falling aff and we both pointed and fell to the ground. The owner prolly died, but I could not stop laughing. I guess I'm more mental than I thought :twisted: !!

Peter.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah I can't go through the salvage yards anymore. For one I usually get mad at all the wrecked sportbikes with 6K on the odometer. Two it's getting harder for me to say no to a $200 bike.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have I mentioned lately that...NAKED BIKES RULE! Especially old naked bikes!?! Just in case I haven't...they do. And Kawasaki rules, too!

Group hug, complete, for my part. 8)

Ride safe...God bless!

-Ron

·
Registered
159 Posts
Annonymous:
Im sure you got to the Bike salvage yard by car. Right?? You can Visit an automobile salvage yard and witness just as much death. Whats your point?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.