Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wel, after watching tonight episode I've just got to say that the Mikey/Vinnie bike is the ugliest bike they have ever made :shock: Yep, the only good thing about it is some of the art work & not even all of is up to the normal standards.

Both Paul Sr and Paul Jr were not major players & without the artistic tallent of Paul Jr the bike was just not up to snuff.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

keep in mind rat that it was not their normal forte(theme bike) it was really an experiment
for vinny to do somethng different-

i liked the fact that harley parts were used instead of cookie cutter motors(rev tech)

single side swingarm,built tranny,built motor - features uncommon to their style

but you right about the look-kinda plain and thrown together
can't believe thye put the wrong pushrods in though :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing I have noticed about the show is they sure do send an awful alot of work out to get down, frames, panels, bars etc... What happened to being a "fabricator", like Jesse James for instance. I remember when the show first came out, they fab'd just about everything, has fame gotten in the way of their roots? Just my 2 cents and nickel.
Brian

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

brian-i did'nt think they had ever built their own frames,motors,and several other components
only thing i've seen really fabricated was fenders,tanks,bars and trim pieces
like you i consider a fabricator to be able to build from ground up,lots of custom shops
are really builders or assemblers-there's a difference for sure

i've been to west coast choppers and seen what real fabrication is-that team builds
everything or has the capability to- frames,motors,wheels,bars,fenders,tanks-everything
what was most impressive out there was the machine shop where they were making
custom cylinder heads and wheels-unreal to see a block of billet come out as a spinner wheel :shock:

not taking nothing away from occ though - they design some really nice stuff
and campo up there is a fabricator and they choose good stuff to use and can turn out a bike much faster than ecc

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess I think if you are a fabricator, you take real pride in the work you do with your own hands and shop. Don't get me wrong, I still like OCC, it has just seemed that they are slowly going away from the winning formula that has gotten them there today. OCC does use one heck of a painter. I've painted off and on for 15 years, and that guy can turn out some nice work! I think Vinnie doesn't get near the credit he deserves, hopefully his paycheck makes up for it, hehe.
I wish I could swing by West Coast, it really must be an awe inspiring experience to see in person, craftsmanship at its best. I jsut don't see how Jesse can balance it all out. I have a hard time getting things done because of my 2 hour commute, 1 way, to work everyday. Jesse has his shop, discovery, and who knows what else. A cool thing about him, he will tell you, I'm nothing special, I'm just a glorified welder. I say yeah right oh Picasso of the 2 wheel sport.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

what alot of folks don't know is jesse builds cars too-and has a reputation for being
hard headed about how he wants something to look and will go to extremes to make it happen.when i was out there 2 years ago the place was teaming with activity with both cars and bikes - they had 55 nomad wagon they were building for someone that was tubbed,
chopped,channeled,had a blown rat motor,billet everthing including a custom steering wheel
the fabbed and it ran on pump gas :shock: unbelievable!

he has some very capable people running the show out there and his bikes bring
premium prices-he even sells his tins to other builders.last year in new orleans at the steel pony rally he comes driving up in a big black 4wd dodge ram truck with spinners,40inch tires,
custom bumpers and brush gaurd with enough off road lights to equipe a jetliner :lol:

he was very low key and humble about his success and looked like he just came off the
welder :lol: the tuttles were there also but their apperance was a big production with them standing on top of the hauler throwing frisbees to the crowd :lol:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Brain, I see your point but, OCC doesn't have the cash flow to have a shop like West coast. I mean senior just bought this flow jet cutter, which I'm pretty sure costs along the lines of 60 grand.You see, OCC has a long term approach, while jesse goes week by week. Plus he lives in Long Beach, which if you didn't know, Is big bucks central. So poeple there can buy a 150 grand bike and think its nothing. OCC doesn't build their own motors, or frames, or trannies, Because they don't need to. What they do is make it look awesome, and their bikes are, artistly speaking, as good as if not better than a west coast bike. Although I didn't really like the look of there lastest bike, I still LOVE the camanche bike. 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
the commanche bike was AWESOME! the .50 cal missiles was brilliant. i liked thier pow bike also. almost all my relatives served in the war. 'cept my uncles. but my uncles kids are into the service HOOAH! i also loved the artwork that is on the pow bike. phenominal.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I've never met/seen either Paul Sr or Jesse James live in person all I've got to go on is what you see on the boob tube.

Paul Sr is a marketing genius & while they make kick azz bikes they are "nothing" special in the custom world. However, the chrisma between Sr, Jr & Mikey is what makes the show. It's just not the same show when everybody's not there busting on each other.

It was really cool that they used a Harley mill & I'm suprised that they missed out on the pushrods, chit happens but still............. :D

I really though Vinney could have come up with a better design, but then again not everybody is as artistic as Paul Jr & he's got one heck of a artistic tallent.

Now for Jesse James, he's a punk looser who can't even take time out to show op for a build on MG yet he shows up at the last to drive & deliever the truck. What kind of jerk takes the credit for a buld but ignores the builders & is not there for them. Sure it's just a TV show, but they all expected hom to be there & he was not.

He might be the best builder in the world, but IMHO he needs to grow up.

Paul Sr is loud & obnixious (sort of like me, but I'm a mellow obnixous) but he knows what sells & is a salesman at heart. OCC's bikes are great, but the marketing is what boosted them to where they are now. Sure they don't build a bike from ground up, but the artistic talent they use & with Campo's fabricating work they make some serioulsy cool bikes.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
RampRat said:
Now for Jesse James, he's a punk looser who can't even take time out to show op for a build on MG yet he shows up at the last to drive & deliever the truck. What kind of jerk takes the credit for a buld but ignores the builders & is not there for them. Sure it's just a TV show, but they all expected hom to be there & he was not.

He might be the best builder in the world, but IMHO he needs to grow up.
Really? do you work to FULL TIME jobs?you realize that on monster nation 3 he buiit the kids NOS rack even thou he was quite Ill? Punk looser huh? a punk looser who happens to embody just about EVERYTHING motorcycles. I'm sure you can just leave your job in the middle of the work day to help a bunch of PROFESSIONALS out with their build. He's been on a huge number of builds before. Maybe you should watch more than one episode of MG before you open your mouth and insert foot. (remeber that saying?? :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Oh, and I'm sure YOU can own a ferrari, On your job. How do you think he pays for it all? HIS JOB! West Coast is his job, That's what brings home the Ferrari coverd bacon. His has priroties, and his seem a bit more down to earth then yours. Hm....Tv show, job....Tv show....job? DU'H! JOB!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

rat-i agree about occ theme bikes-really good,and i've seen their production bikes
and honestly the fit and fininsh to me was not up to stuff when compared to some
like bigdog,vengence,and even texas chopper but still nice bikes
in new orleans i really thought that big dog had one of the best f/f of anyone

i believe the image jesse portrays on tv is somewhat enhanced,i did get the opportunity
to meet him and the tuttles in daytona and n/o and i thought they were very humble
and low key and were very gracious to us-but it could of just been a good day :lol:

but not speak of builders like indian larry and billy lane is a crime cause there are many good builders out there-they just ain't on tv-and tv distorts things sometime

just my worthless opinion :lol:

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
No expert here---only commenting on what I've seen on the tube.

The problem I have with OCC is that there is a complete lack of planning on their bikes----there is always(ALWAYS) some last minute problem with their bikes that they have to "jury rig". Very unprofessional. I mean I've seen them weaken frames just to get a tire to spin :roll:
They guys do more bitchin at each other than getting anything done.

As for OCC not having enough money for a "real" shop----they interviewed Sr and he owns a multi million dollar wrought iron shop----he's got the bucks if he wants to cough 'em up.

From what I've seen---you'd have a tough time giving me one of their bikes.

Now West Coast is another matter---JJ is a true artist and cares about what he's doing and puts out-----If I had the bucks---I'd buy one of theirs in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
ZX-10R Urza said:
Oh, and I'm sure YOU can own a ferrari, On your job. How do you think he pays for it all? HIS JOB! West Coast is his job, That's what brings home the Ferrari coverd bacon. His has priroties, and his seem a bit more down to earth then yours. Hm....Tv show, job....Tv show....job? DU'H! JOB!

TV show is also his job, remember back to the first shows, no actually it started with a PBS one hour special documenting his life. He was financially strugling, TV raised him to star status and made his bikes more valuable. He may be a great bike builder but running a business is not his strong suit and he'd probably be wrenching for another shop were it not for TV.

He must now adapt to his new life, spending hours beating a sheet of metal into a fender is not how he will increase business. When the president of Ford or G.M takes credit for company profits do you actually think they assemble cars?

He has adapted and now delegates work out to competent craftsmen while retaining creative licence.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
that's true, but like paul SR., he still has to do work. Ever watch any of the motorcycle manias? I mean some weeks are good, some weeks are bad. Anyway, my point is that my has prioraties, and he higher income job comes first.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
look at it like this. jesse james was richer than most people will ever be before all the television shows. he had most of his cars before mg. he was not financially struggling. you could say business was slow. he was still a millionare. even befroe the shows. now he is richer.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts