Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally don't get into pluging products on the internet unless the stuff impress me TOTALLY. Well, for years i've been using Simple Green to wash the mud and grime off my bikes, and it always worked good, until a few weeks ago when a good friend who cleans boats told me about a kick a$$ cleaning product called Purple Power:

http://www.clean-rite.com/

This product is hands down the BALLZ for removing dirt, oil and grime from your bike. Spray your bike down, let the bike sit for about 5-10 min, and hose it off (a pressure washer works even better if you have one). I would not get this chemical on your painted bodywork, but for grimey areas the stuff is amazing ! Purple Power is really concentrated, as it will actually make bare aluminum shine like new. Don't leave Purple power on for long periods of time, as it can taint the aluminum surface. Try it !!

Rich

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
I have seen it in stores but never tried it. Thanks for the tip.
And once you get the aluminum cleaned up just rub some bees wax on it. It seals and protects it from oxidizing.

·
WFO Enthusiast
89 Posts
I've been using it for about a year....works pretty good. Just don't let it set on bare aluminum for very long

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I use to buy some cleaner at Wallyworld, (not sure what co. made it at the time) called "Purple Stuff". It was excellent for removing grease and old stains but it would eat aluminum if left on too long. Castrol bought the co out or maybe just the rights to that product and immediately started selling it in a diluted form. I think they changed the name to "That purple cleaner" or something like that but it's not nearly as strong as it use to be. Sounds like this might be a similar product to the original version I use to get.

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I worked for the railroad there was a research project for cleaning locomotives by application of detergent and wash water. One old dude just laughed and said that he had beed watching them tyring to clean locomotives without a brush for 35 years. That pretty well sums up my grimey motorcycle experience. The Puple Power seems to rely on ethoxylated nonyl phenol which is a typical co-emulsifier. The pH of 13 is crazy high alkiline like over cleaner, so this will rapidly corrode aluminum. If applied to your bike, it should be tripley rinsed with large amounts of water. No wonder the aluminum looks bright, its been eaten. See MSDS at http://207.225.211.66/msds/PURPLE POWER-7482.pdf

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use P/P more so on my dirt bikes, and the stuff must have some type of concentrated acids, because if I leave it on bare aluminum for too long you can see whitish water speckles on the surface the next day.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Both acid and base eat aluminum. P/P is full of powerful base. Probably sodium hydroxide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts