Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

An important 'O' ring commonly used in/on Kawasaki bikes is totally unavailable!

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  rbentnail 
#1 ·
G'day troops. I recently began the process of bring back to life a very nice 1992 ZX1100-C3 (ZZX1100) that has been sitting unoperated in a garage for more than 5 years. Obviously, lots of things require checking and some a bit of restoration (such as fuel lines, etc.) if the bike is to be brought back 'on-line, as it were. One of the subsystems I have addressed in my restorations is the ZX11 thermostat and housing assembly that perches on the right side of the frame near the top of the radiator. There seems to have been a slight coolant leak where that housing fastens to the frame, so I removed it and took it apart, thinking I'd replace the two 'O'-rings used on that thermostat housing, one being a 53.5 (Kawa Part # 92055-112) and a smaller 27.7 'O'-ring (Kawa Part # 92055-091). Both these 'O'-rings must be replaced when you change out the thermostat since they get compressed over time, leading to possible coolant leaks; but to my considerable consternation I found...after trying to order the smaller 'O'-ring (90255-091) from at least 6 other sources...that the 27.7 ring is unavailable (the orders all listed the ring as 'Unavailable from manufacturer; uncertain when it will be available'. WHAAAAAAT?!

That unhappy discovery has been quite perplexing, since the new thermostat is an important and necessary part of my 'restorative' work on this beautiful bike. Believe me, everyone I've tried (Babbitt's, CheapParts, RevZilla, CMS, GenuineKawasakiParts.com, etc., has all responded the same way!

The small 27.7 'O'-ring is also used as a sub-component (also listed as Kawa Part # 90255-091 'drain plug') on some Kawasaki front fork systems, so it's not just an isolated and otherwise inconsequential part! Surely this is a 'preventable' problem that deserves immediate resolution?!

At any rate, I am completely flummoxed by this status quo! Anyone out there have any helpful insights on sourcing out this small but important 'O'-ring, so I can get my thermostat back operating again? Thanks.😟

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you tried Google? It's your friend, don't be afraid! Apply the KISS method and simply search for the part #, nothing more.

A quick search shows 4+ places listing it as "in stock". It might be a simple phone call away to verify.

#4 ·
Hi Rbentnail. I'm well used to sourcing out parts for my Yammies, Kwikasfuckis and Hondas using exactly that technique and I did so in this instance. All the multiple places that indicated they sell this part and had it' 'instock' sold me that part, took my money, and THEN said "Gee...terribly sorry, but: Out of stock and unavailable at this time with no firm date as to when it will be available'" This happened to me at least 6 times, ordering that bloody 'O'-ring from various Kawa parts outlets that listed the item as 'in stock' (when in fact, it was not). You'd think they would keep track of their control inventory more adequately and immediately indicate when a part was no longer in stock, or on 'back order' (another frequent seller trick, I've learned, that translates to 'Currently unavailable').

When I say I've exhausted all the possibilities known (to me), I really mean exhausted! However, thanks for that suggestion. It's exactly the sort of interactive 'melding of the minds' information-sharing that makes these forums so valuable to all of us! Cheers, AvGasser. 🍻

#3 ·
In situations like this,
silicone is my friend. :)

Gently remove the O ring fill the groove with hi temp automotive silicone gasket sealant, reinstall the filpped over O ring into the groove and wipe off the excess. Then put a thin coat of silicone sealant on the surface and install the part. Don't touch anything until the silicone has completely set up.

#5 ·
Tooter, I went down to my friendly neighborhood auto parts emporium this afternoon and briefly considered buying that heat-resistant silicone sealant material you suggested. It seemed a good alternative (good last fall-back, I guess I should say), but I filed the idea in the 'back burner' file and returned home to see if any of the 'donor' thermostat units (from parts-bikes) I have acquired (for ZX11s) would produce a still-usable 'O'-ring. Since I had earlier purchased a small tube of that stuff and had also found a reasonably decent ring in one of them, I put some of it into the ring's groove, laid in the ring and went with that combination. We'll see how it turns out once the system is pressurised and the machine running again. As you say, it's probably about as good as any idea for jury-rigging a replacement, but the idea of Kawasaki failing to have that important item in stock and immediately available is still irkatating (I'm easily irkatatable, LoL).

Thanks for sharing the idea! 👌

#7 ·
Partzilla lists both o-rings as in stock. I have used Partzilla a lot over the years and I have never seen them advertise something as in stock and then have them come back and say it's not available. I would do as rbentnail suggests and call them. Speak to a human. You get a lot more information that way.

However if that fails, take both of your o-rings and the thermostat down to your friendly hydraulics or industrial supply house and they can match up some o-rings for you. Kawi even provides one of the critical dimensions for you on their parts listing for the larger o-ring. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.

#10 ·
Although make-your-own o-ring kits are available, I was referring to off the shelf o-rings.

Stores like this one, can help you out with off the shelf o-rings.

#12 ·
I seem to have a habit of answering my own queries and this one is no exception. I have received several of the 'totally unavailable' 27.4 mm Thermostat housing O-rings recently, and from suppliers that had previously responded 'SOL!' Also talked to a Kawa mechanic at a local service facility and he confirmed what rbentnail intimated earlier: that the pandemic has resulted in depleted inventories of a huge number of parts that are normally in plentiful supply. The fact that some previously 'not available' parts are now trickling back into suppliers' hands is proof of that, as the various parts suppliers & the Kawasaki Company scramble to replenish stocks and increase inventories. That's a real relief and as a result I've finally been able to finish the restorative work I've been engaged in on my recently acquired '92 Kawa ZX1100C-3 Ninja project. The bike now looks like what we in the aviation business call a '10-footer' (an aircraft...or vehicle that looks like a million dollars from 10 feet away, until you get closer and see the small imperfections, bumps and 'wear-rash' that miles and usage bring with them). I'll be cranking her up shortly for the first full test of the engine since 5 years ago. Can't wait! Green lights across the board, so far, and ready for launch. Thanks to everyone for your valued inputs on this topic!

#13 ·
#15 ·
Parts Fiche shows a number of watercraft (Jet Ski) applications. Check some dealers who sell and service Kawasaki Jet Ski's or even marinas who sell Kawasaki watercraft engine parts. I tried to find the "size" of the o-ring, but of course it's the only one in that assembly they don't ID by size. The Honda parts fiches are excellent for delineating o-rings sizes, bolt thread/pitch and length, all sorts of good info, but Kawasaki and Suzuki are hit and miss in that area. They make ya work for it. Cheers.

#16 · (Edited)
We Yamaha folks have also switched to Honda parts for just that reason- knowing what we're looking for. Screw and bolt sizes are fairly straightforward from Yamaha fiches but other small parts are not. Luckily Yamaha and Honda use many of the same suppliers for things like brake calipers and cooling systems.

Reactions: WFO-KZ
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.