Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Not my style but that thing is a Monster!

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was HEARTBROKEN when I couldn't reach the ground on an 1125. I fit MINT on an XB12SCg. And I LOVE the ergos on my X-1W. (even though it lives at work under the cover at work on a tender)
This one has a seat height of about 30.7 " The other XB12 is tall at 31.8" With standard XB12 It's all I can do to touch both feet. It's more like riding a big dirt bike you have to one leg it.

I'm more of a cruiser guy but I'm thinking about adding a second bike some day and still have the 900C. Something like the XB12T or sport touring bike is on the short list.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Sweet ride except (doesn't that always come) that trunk....looks like a sat-dome on the back of the bike, completely out-of-place with the overall styling (IMO).

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
there are few bikes with a trunk that look good, the only one that I can think of is the goldwing, everything flows with the wing.

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the trunk would have to go except when traveling. I'd say it's quick detach or could be made so. This type of bike is more about utility and less about looks any way. It would be nice to have a bike like this or a sport touring for long trips and daily commutes. My cruiser is just too hard to keep clean when riding it on a daily basis with all the chrome. Sometimes a plain bike or bike with fairing you can wash more like a car would be better. JMO

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just like the utility style of the bike. No bling to worry about not even much fairing just ride and go. Plus nobody steals ugly bikes. Some others I've looked along these lines that hard bags would have to be added and most are chain drive. Have I missed any?

Suzuki Vstorm
Suzuki Bandit1250
Kawi Versys (Would like to see a model in the 1000-1200cc class with hard bags and Connie 14 shaft drive system.
BMWs ($$$$)
Triumph Tiger

Sport Tourings are an option too

Connie14 and FJR

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Buell frame. I really wish they'd do something with that across the board. Otherwise, with regard to this particular model, if they would do something a bit more stylish with the front end, I'd consider it for my next sport-touring ride. Definitely not in it's current design though.

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Triumph Tiger and Suzuki Bandit looks better by far. The Bandit is the best deal price wise.

The Buell has the fuel tank in the fat part of the frame and the oil tank in the swing arm. It's kind of their bleeding edge innovation. It's along with the muffler under mounted is supposed to give it a lower center of gravity. I doubt they will be changing that anytime soon. It's one of the things they like to point out at the dealership.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I definitely am a fan of the muffler location. I don't mind the frame so much, but they have done some really wierd things with the air intake. If they'd just put a decent half fairing on it, it would be a much better looking bike.

Personally I like the bandit 1250 too. It might be a bit cramped for two-up riding, but by adding hard bags and a trunk, it could be pretty nice. I'm hesitating on going to the current sport-touring models because they are a bit big when it comes to the "sport" side. I like the idea of getting someplace on the Bandit, then stripping off all the cases and doing some sporty riding. The ST versions have a bulky front fairing. Just my tastes.... :D

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
I just like the utility style of the bike. No bling to worry about not even much fairing just ride and go. Plus nobody steals ugly bikes. Some others I've looked along these lines that hard bags would have to be added and most are chain drive. Have I missed any?

Suzuki Vstorm
Suzuki Bandit1250
Kawi Versys (Would like to see a model in the 1000-1200cc class with hard bags and Connie 14 shaft drive system.
BMWs ($$$$)
Triumph Tiger

Sport Tourings are an option too

Connie14 and FJR
Throw the Honda VFR into the mix. It's an only 800, but you won't be at a loss for power. The combo of shaft-drive and a V4 powerplant make for an ultra-smooth ride. The hard bags can be removed easily, so you can go out and tear up the twisties, yet still be in sport-touring comfort.

If your into that style of bike, the Buell, Vstrom, Tiger and Bimmer are all great bikes. And very versitile. But most people never use them for their real strong point - Adventure Touring. These bikes are designed to get way off the beaten path. Getting 20 miles down dirt and gravel roads that would kill a Connie, Wing, Bandit, etc. And do it in any conditions, up to, and including two foot of snow. Just look at their ground clearance, tires, and suspension travel. It's all very reminiscent of Dual-sports and dirt bikes.

If this is the type of bike you want, then go for it! Just remember the trade-offs. Less fairing, taller seat height, etc.. Don't expect a true sport-tourer out of them.

But if your gonna circle the globe on it..... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts