Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the GPS feature on cell phones? Specifically using the bluetooth feature?

I'm hoping to take a long trip this summer on the bike... maybe a month long ride. I'm putting together a wish list of accessories for my 900 Custom and a GPS is on the list. I was liking the Tom Tom Rider until I discovered a new cell phone from Verizon called the enV. I wouldn't be able to view the screen on the phone while riding because i couldn't/wouldn't mount it, but would use the voice commands/directions through the bluetooth feature so I would hear the directions.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
I don't personally use that feature from Verizon, but a good riding buddy of mine swears by it!!!! He said he pays a small fee extra per month and loves it!!!

·
Life Saver
496 Posts
Just make sure where you are going has the full Verizon Network on the cell towers. The GPS on the phone will not work without the full network. When i go to the mountains in West Virginia, i dont get the full network, I can use the phone and text, but no internet or picture messaging. I have a Nuvi 660 , and i like the bluetooth on it.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Just make sure where you are going has the full Verizon Network on the cell towers. The GPS on the phone will not work without the full network. When i go to the mountains in West Virginia, i dont get the full network, I can use the phone and text, but no internet or picture messaging. I have a Nuvi 660 , and i like the bluetooth on it.
That's a good point! I didn't know that, thank you!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW! Thats what I like about this forum! I never considered needing the full network in order to have the GPS feature. Great point... I guess when signals are triangulating a postion using the phones GPS, it's using cell towers and when a standard GPS is triangulating postion it's using satellites, which are more reliable for positioning purposes in remote areas. Awesome! Thanks for that info!!!!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
The phone GPS function seems to work flawlessly in built up areas... but, once you get to a good riding area...sorry, no coverage.... but, I have great luck with my little mio digiwalker...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cell phone gps won't work for me... I live in New Jersey, and am hoping to cover atleast 6000 miles on my road trip this summer. Start point in Jersey, head south through WV, KY, TN, AL, and turn right till I hit the Grand Canyon... camp for a few days and figure it out from there. Lots of remote places on the list. Relying on the cell phone would either cut my trip short or extend it for a really really really long time!!

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
Nover gave it a thought. I'm going to sign up for the GPS with Verizon and give it a whirl. I currently use my phone as an MP3 player and have stereo bluetooth headphones. It works well untill someone calls. To talk, I have to pull over and kill the bike.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The phone GPS function seems to work flawlessly in built up areas... but, once you get to a good riding area...sorry, no coverage.... but, I have great luck with my little mio digiwalker...
I got a Mio Digiwalker for Christmas, the C320 model with the 4" split screen. It's been fun so far. I took the bracket you clip the gps onto for the car and tie wrapped it to my risers so it sits right in front of me. I need to rig up a power supply for it, but for now, the battery lasts about as long as we ride in the cold.

At least I was able to find out exactly how far off my speedo is!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts