Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ive been wandering these forums for a few days and just decided to register. So heres my situation, i need some input from you all.

Ok I have a 94 mustang right now(can tell from my name), but its a great car, even though its only a v6, i love the car, awesome sound system. No problems really with it at all. But its come to the time now, where i just NEED something faster. I figuare instead of wasting my time with another car, i can just step up to a motorcycle, plus its always been a dream to own a bike, ive just been so busy with work,college, and friends.

But im going out of state to college and seeing an oportunitee to get a newer motorcycle seems practical, i need something dependable. Its 3 hours from MY HOUSE to COLLEGE, i will only drive home every now and then, other than that, it wont be driven much at all, just locally around campus.

I havent gotten my learners yet for motorcycle license, i just signed up for classes and activities and gotta find a new job.
So what does the learners require you do? Just fill out the usual papers, and take a simple safety test on the computer right?Easy?

I hope my insurance wont be too much, i just got my insureance lowered ALOT on my mustang since i just turned 21.

I can get about $3500 to $4000 for my stang if i sell her.

Im thinking about kawasaki ZX 6r or so, or a Ducati 996s,

I want something that will run atleast 12 flat or better, which isnt hard to ask for a motorcycle.

What do you recommend i do for a bike?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
for your first bike I'd say you were crazy to get the ducati, you probably can't afford it either. The ZX6r isn't terrible, but not nearly as forgiving as the ex500 or ex250.

the ex500 can run flat 12s, but that is based on a very skilled rider. You won't be able to pull those off for some time.

I would recommend the ex500 and if that is just to small then go with the ZX6r but nothing bigger than that.

I don't know the laws of your state, but usually you can take the MSF course (a must) and a written test at the DMV and have your license.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
A bike is a whole different beast than a car. I can't recommend you get anything with more than 50 or 60 hp tops to start.

There is a whole new learning curve on a bike and you should figure spending from $!,500 to $2,000 for proper gear since your aim is to obviously go crazy fast.

Riding a motorcycle is also much more physically demanding, a three hour ride on a bike will leave you 10 times more worn out than in a car.

Start with medium power bike get training and practice then after a season or two trade up to something more powerfull.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i agree - dont' buy beyond your ability, nothing wrong with going fast but take it to the track
for that. street riding is a different world from racing as these guys will attest to. buy the bike that best suites your needs - its real easy to get into trouble with big hp- hone your skills
and ride safe :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
You want the EX500 for starters, Stang. The insurance, the safety gear, and all will pretty much take care of it for you. And for god's sake, TAKE THE MSF program, you'll be a much better rider for it.

I agree with the others....getting that Ducati will likely kill you, as it's a powerful beasty, while the 600 Kawi might do the same, though not as quick. A brand new rider just does not need anything close to 100HP under their butt..the 500R has 54HP stock, and can be modded for more, and still be deadnuts realiable. Take my word for it :D :D , as I've been working on Kawis since I can remember.

Take care, take the safety course, and take the 500..you won't regret it!

ZX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replys everyone. I have a question though,

1.) i go to the court house
2.) fill out the paper work and take the knowledge test on the computer, along with eye test etc.
3.) i need like 30 or 40 hours practice time,etc.
4.) sign up for MSF course, i dont remember it being required.... 21 and older.
5.) goto DMV and have the riding test scheduled....
(I think its 600 cc or less in state of maryland for the course test.)

Does that all sound right, or some of it wrong or mixed up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
4.) sign up for MSF course, i dont remember it being required.... 21 and older.
Your state may not require that you take the MSF course, but you are take your life at risk if you don't get some formal training regardless how old you are. You can't simply jump on a bike and be able to ride safely in all situations. Most riders that took the course with me realized this after 10 minutes of riding when they crashed their bike for some obviously stupid reason that could have been avoid had they taken the class prior to mounting the bike. Plus you probably won't have to go to the DMV if you take the course. Depending on the state, some MSF courses give you a certificate which allows you to get the license without owning a bike. That way you can't see if a bike is really something to want to have as your sole transportation before selling your stang.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definetly beware of your abilities!

I spent a good 4 years on 250's before moving upto a 600cc. The big factor for this long transition is the law here in Western Australia restricts you to a 250cc max for at least your first 12 months and then anything bigger is a seperate licence.

I mainly had an FZR-250R (grey import) before I bought my ZX6R
http://www.bikepics.com/members/gustav

Now I have the FZR-250R done up for racing at our local track and she goes great even for a 4 cylinder 4 stroke bike.

Even today the ZX6-R wakes me up when I have a bit of fun with her ... but my advice is not to go over a 600cc for your first bike.

My next bike will either be a Kwaka ZX-12R or a Hyabusa but this will be after a decade of riding.

Hope this helps

Gustav.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ok, im only going to say this

Me and my friend (john) started riding around the same time. I got a 81 Honda Silverwing 500cc from my old boss, he went out and bought a VFR. 5 months later i get hit from behind on the freeway in traffic, needless to say the bike was totalled and i spent a couple weeks recovering from it (nothing broke, i was really lucky)

2 months later, john with his new vfr got stupid and low-sided on the freeway at 80+ because he couldn't handle the bike.

Neither of us had any training other than (this seems like fun) and we never took the MSF course. John now sits in a wheelchair because he lost his left leg and destroyed most of the left side of his body (no armor jacket, or gloves. Just a helmet and t-shirt w/jeans) he will never ride again, and most of his ideas of how his life was going to be are gone. He now teaches at CHP to show "squids" what happens when you crash.

I don't care how good you are with your mustang, every rider will go down on their bike at some point, if you have the training and understand your limits you have a chance to walk away from it. It took me a year to get another bike and start riding again, but that's me. PLEASE take the MSF and get proper protection.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Comments

When you go for your Permit, they will tell you what ou requirements are, however... Taking the MSF Riders course will definately help you on insurance, and you will be able to understand the basics of how to maneuver a bike, and CONTROL it. Brakes are very different, and you have to understand that your contact patches aren't much larger than several postage stamps on the ground. I seriously suggest that if you are going Kawasaki that you go to a couple of shops and set on both of hte bikes...understanding that the 250R will be just basic transportation and get you cheaper insurance and better gas mileage, than the 500R will. IF you want the fater of the two and you think that you can handle the 500R then you should spen a litttle more time on it...once you get you own bike remember the things that you did in MSF Class and then spen several hours in an empty parking lot, practicing your maneuvers and exercises. they will be completely different on a cafe' style bike and a bike that is heavier than the little set up straight bike that you will use at the course. YOu will most likely draw the attention of a local policeman or security guard and you can explain to them what you are doing...This is really cool because they will understand exactly why you are doing exercises!!! Later it may come in handy...because you know them...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just for info, the local County College here in Fort Worth charges $180 for the MSF. Buying a new Kawi get's you a $75 check to help pay for it. Texas does not require a driving test if you've taken the MSF, if you have it's just a "written" test.

As for insurance, my 500 I just bought is costing me $101 for the year in liability. For full coverage it'll be $900. Yeah, I have a few tickets. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts