Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although it happened over a month and a half ago, I just found out that one of my favorite motorcycle journalists passed away in the ambulance taking him to the hospital after he crashed his bike.

Piero Zambotti was 26 and had been riding since a young age. Ex racer and tech he lived for motorcycles. Reading his articles in Cycle Canada and Moto Journal ( Cycle Canada sister magazine published in french ) you could tell he loved bikes, all bikes interested him.

The exact cause of his crash is unknown since there were no witnesses. He was working on a comparison article between the ST1300, FJR1300 and the BMW1200GT with 2 more journalists and a photographer using a Goldwing as backup and photo vehicle.

Apparently the group got stuck behind a slow moving truck on a twisty two lane road making passing safely difficult. Two of the riders managed to pass and ride on ahead, Piero on the goldwing finally managed to pass the truck and try and catch up with the lead riders. In the next curve for some reason he hit the guardrails and went down hard, he was still consious and seemed to have survived yet on the way to the hospital he let out his last breath.

Our hearthfelt condoleances go out to his family, friends and coworkers.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Things like this should make you think twice every time you put the kickstand up and put it back down when you get done with the ride.

Rest in Peace Piero.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

always hate to hear that :cry:
that is something we all contend with daily and shows experienced riders are not exempt
from this

his family will be in our thoughts and prayers :wink:

ride safe!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pretty humbling to know that it can happen to anyone, regardless of experience. It'll just make me ride that much safer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For years I rationalized not riding saying things like, "What would knock out a headlight on a car would kill you on a motorcycle", and it's true, riding is risky. I'm old enough now to realize that even if I live to be 100 it's still a VERY short time on this old rock. Although tragic and sad, he died loving what he was doing. What more can a person ask for than to get through life alive?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I count myself lucky every time I put my kickstand down after a ride no matter how short. I catch myself telling myself "okay, you've made it this far with no problems, now lets just make it home"... it is like a mantra. Especially when I was riding 400 miles home on my broken bike. I have seen so much footage of motorcycle accidents and it amazes me that a lot of the riders survive. At least he didn't end up alive and paralzed... that would sucked not being able to enjoy riding again. Very sad tho indeed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts