Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 VN750 with 11K miles on it. It use to start with just a bump of the starter button, hot or cold. At about 7K miles it started having a problem.

Usually when hot (but sometimes cold) it will "sometimes" hesitate starting. ie; If I stop for gas. When I go to start it, it will grind and grind. Release the button, try again, and maybe again. Quite often when in this condition it will give off a loud backfire. Then it will usually start.

I've had it to the dealer at about 9,500 miles, he cleaned something on one of the carbs.. and enrichened the fuel mix. It seemed ok till just a few days ago, and now it's starting the same thing again.

I did replace the stock RR unit with an Electrex RR26 unit. I think it may have been somewhere around the time this problem started, but can't remember for sure.

Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on?
Thanks.
Bill...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voltage Regulator/Rectifier... It's that metal thing on your bike about the size of a deck of cards or a little larger with fins to dissipate heat that handles charging your battery..

Bill...

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ok thats what i thought you where talking about but wasnt sure.
im gonna say that its NOT the R/R since it only handles charging, but i will say make sure its grounded CORRECTLY (no rust under bolts/body of R/R,plug is tight,no corrosion etc)
since its been quit a few miles that its taken to come to hard starting then i would say the bike has FULLY BROKEN in and is now a bit LEANER in the Air/Fuel Ratio. my zrx takes about 3 tries with the starter but it is right on the line to pass emissions here in phoenix so i cant play too much w/ my A/F ratio. :roll:
other things to take into consideration is PLUGS.when was the last time you changed them out ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the bike serviced at 9,800 miles, plugs etc. The dealer riched up the carbs at that time also. Like I said earler, he found something wrong with one of the carbs and corrected it. The problem went away for about 1000 miles but is now back?????

BIll...

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
pull a plug and see what i looks like. i have a couple ideas running around in my head, the plug will help with diag. :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QKENUF4U, I went out to pull a plug and found out I don't have a socket that fitst the plugs... What are you thinking of that the plug might tell you?
Bill...

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
wilythek said:
QKENUF4U, I went out to pull a plug and found out I don't have a socket that fitst the plugs... What are you thinking of that the plug might tell you?
Bill...
the twins are a PITA when it comes to pulling plugs if not useing the STOCK TOOL KIT spark plug wrench. i always have to mess around with 3-5 spark plug sockets i have till i find the one that fits.might have to get a THIN WALL spark plug wrench but if you still have the STOCK tool kit then just use the one in there.
the plugs will tell you if the motor is running LEAN or RICH. might even do a PLUG CHOP- run the bike at WFO throttle up thru 4 gears of so on the highway, hold the throttle wide open and kit the kill switch, pull a plug and see what the colors are. if its pure WHITE/GRAY then its TOO LEAN, if the plug is brown/tan then its ok, if its DARK BLACK or SOOTY then its too rich.
also check to make sure your airbox is FULLY seated at all connections.

·
Registered
244 Posts
QKEN, if you've got the throttle WFO in 4th gear, how do you plan to remove the plug @ 75 mph?

Just joshin... couldn't resist.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
PickYourPockets said:
QKEN, if you've got the throttle WFO in 4th gear, how do you plan to remove the plug @ 75 mph?

Just joshin... couldn't resist.
very carefully...sorry, I couldn't resist either :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
It could be the stator, hope not for your wallet's sake. Bikeaholic might have an idea what it might be?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

it could be all of the above :lol:

your gonna have to just go thru it - i'd start with fuel and spark
the backfire on ignition make me think too rich-we know the starter works though :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
me too

HEy, I had a 2000 750 A and loved it. Went through the same problem you're having. After I changed plugs (no help) I found what I was doing wrong. When the motor is warmed up, don't give it ANY throttle when starting it. Try it. I bet it works.
Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts