Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
HD has nothin on a Custom
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my oil yesterday and I had been running the Kawasaki dino oil. After reading quite a few positive things on here I decided to go with the rotella 15w-40, altough i've only put about 150 miles on since the change I can already tell a difference. It has lost some of the famous ticking noises and seems to shift alot firmer. My bike only has 3600 miles on it, but so far I am very pleased.

·
Is it 2012 yet!!??
538 Posts
I switched to Rotella T dino after my 2nd oil change and won't change back. Shifting is smooth as butter, and I need the extra protection here in the hot Houston summers.

For my upcoming 15k service, I'll be doing the oil change myself, because I don't want the dealer putting in their dealer-oil junk.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Rotella 15w40, Delvac and Delo are all excellent and I use them interchangeably depending on what's on sale. Sure is nice buying a gallon for $9.99 instead of a quart for $9.99. Those oils plus a Purolator or Wix filter make oil changes downright affordable.

·
Reborn Biker
89 Posts
I used this in mine also. I did my own oil/filter change to get familiar with my ride. I also noticed a significant difference in the "ticking". Shifting is much smoother also.
Thanks to this site, my bike is in good hands. Mine!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I switched to Rotella T dino after my 2nd oil change and won't change back. Shifting is smooth as butter, and I need the extra protection here in the hot Houston summers.

For my upcoming 15k service, I'll be doing the oil change myself, because I don't want the dealer putting in their dealer-oil junk.
What dealer you talking about? I still haven't found a good Kaw dealer around hear.
I'm in NW Houston, where about are you?

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
36K miles on my 1600 of which 34.5K are on Rotella synthetic w/Pure One oil filter. Runs & shifts better'n new!! 8)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yesterday I drained out the Mobil 10-50 full synthetic which I had been running and I refilled with Rotella T 20-40. I have to say my bike LIKES IT and it may be just my imagination but the engine sounds a little quieter.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
40,000 miles and using Rotella dino 15W-40 since the 6000 mile mark. Bike runs and shifts great. Tried the Rotella synthetic once but it made my clutch kinda grabby. I change every 2000 - 2500 miles and use a SuperTech 7317 oil filter from WalMart. Each change costs me about $13 and takes 15 minutes. I drain from the screen plug for more complete draining and less chance of stripping the plug.

·
Is it 2012 yet!!??
538 Posts
40,000 miles and using Rotella dino 15W-40 since the 6000 mile mark. Bike runs and shifts great. Tried the Rotella synthetic once but it made my clutch kinda grabby. I change every 2000 - 2500 miles and use a SuperTech 7317 oil filter from WalMart. Each change costs me about $13 and takes 15 minutes. I drain from the screen plug for more complete draining and less chance of stripping the plug.
Ditto all of that, except the drain from screen plug -- that's a good idea, I think I'll try that next time. Did you remove the screen as well? I hear that's a pain.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Ran Rotella for years, no problems.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Just went to Rottella T. That is some nice stuff. I think It is going to be this oil or one of its two sisters from now on. I will spend the money for a filter with a nut on the end, so far the only one I can find that has that is not cheap. Anybody know of any inexpensive filters w/ the nut on the end? I hate strap wrenches - can deal - but hate.

·
Late starter...
797 Posts
Rotella 15w-40. Good stuff, good price..................

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Ditto all of that, except the drain from screen plug -- that's a good idea, I think I'll try that next time. Did you remove the screen as well? I hear that's a pain.
Once in a while I take out the screen and give it a look over and a cleaning. But 90% of the time no. I don't take that plug all the way out. I just loosen it until the oil is flowing out nicely. It's actually easier for me than the direct bottom plug because less chance of oil running all over your hand and wrench.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Just went to Rottella T. That is some nice stuff. I think It is going to be this oil or one of its two sisters from now on. I will spend the money for a filter with a nut on the end, so far the only one I can find that has that is not cheap. Anybody know of any inexpensive filters w/ the nut on the end? I hate strap wrenches - can deal - but hate.
I have a oil filter wrench with a socket hole for a 3/8 ratchet. As you wrench, it self adjusts to tighten against the filter. If she's on tight and it's slipping, there is a hole in the part that grips the filter so you can just drive a nail or screw through that into the filter and it will come right off. Have never had to do that though. I always only hand tighten the filter, never use a wrench for tightening the filter.

Here's a link: DELUXE SELF-ADJUSTING OIL FILTER WRENCHES - JCWhitney

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Thanks Rondo,

That wrench looks like it would not feel floopy sloopy like a strap wrench does. I'm gonna have to get one of those and see how it works.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
T6 5W40 Syn is a great deal and a lot of ZX14 guys run it. I wish that shell would make the 15w40 in syn or even a 10w40, but in reality, the lower number just allows for engine warm up, after thatits the larger number, which is the main viscosity of the oil, that is offering or providing your protection. I run the 5w40 syn and change every 3k Mi

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I love that you're as meticulous about your oil as I am. Makes me feel less crazy. :) I'll be lucky to make it to 3000 before I get the bug in my ear and dump it. I can't help but feel that that little 250 works much harder than any car engine and destroys oil faster...especially conventional oil.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
I can't get myself to go over 3K either, no matter what oil I'm using.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts