Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little upset that you can't order anti lock brakes on a 2008 Nomad. I want one so bad. I dream about the thing. I went to my dealers today, and just sat in a chair staring at the thing.

They are offering me a good deal on my trade, and the wife is OK with the transaction, but I want anti lock brakes. Why is KAwi behind the loop on this one? Does it matter?

D

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
ABS still isn't particularly common on cruisers is it? I realize the Nomad is a touring bike, but it's still basically cruiser-ish. I don't think you can go wrong with ABS on a bike but unfortunately at this point your choices are going to be limited if you insist on it and it will add about 1k to the price tag.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ABS still isn't particularly common on cruisers is it? I realize the Nomad is a touring bike, but it's still basically cruiser-ish. I don't think you can go wrong with ABS on a bike but unfortunately at this point your choices are going to be limited if you insist on it and it will add about 1k to the price tag.
Can you beleive it? The other side of the coin is that you can get anti locks on a road king. I love the Nomad, but I really want those anti locks.

D

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety

Traction Control Braking- TCB Brake Systems TM- Traction Control Brakes System

Further research on line reveals mixed reviews and that BMW had problems with their ABS on the 1200. Some sites claim they offer no advantage to breaking distance and that additional training is needed to teach a rider how to benefit from ABS.

As for MHO, I believe they would be a good alternative.

As for the comparison to the HD RK or the BMW R12. Well, it's much more that a few thou.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure about that TCB thingy, sounds to me like it would just cause a soft feel in the brakes similar to the difference between rubber and steel braided brake lines but more amplified.

[cut-paste]
ISSUE STATEMENT (MSF)
Although motorcycles have sufficient braking power and traction to enable them to stop in as short a distance as a typical car.

Has the person who wrote this statement ever ridden a motorcycle? Bikes have a much shorter stopping distance than a car could ever dream of having. That in particular is what makes motorcycles dangerous in heavy traffic in emergency stop situations.

Would be nice if ABS was mandatory stock on all vehicles 2 and 4 wheeled.

On the other side of that coin we should all practice emergency braking on a regular basis, I've seen a few too many rear wheel lockups in emergencies that could have been prevented by better use of the front brake, and after talking to the rider I have found that in most of these cases the rider has never had any formal motorcycle training.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The truth is, you can get more control when in a panic stop situation. One of the biggest problems with panic stopping, is brake lock. You loose all control of the bike.

Anti locks for bikes are not as perfected as the ones on cars yet, but they have come a long way from the old BMW system. Imagine jamming on your brakes and still being able to counter steer your bike out of harms way. Try them out before you decide. They may not be for everyone, but they are the future.

I tried out a Connie with them, and what an amazing difference.

D

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
The truth is, you can get more control when in a panic stop situation. One of the biggest problems with panic stopping, is brake lock. You loose all control of the bike.

Anti locks for bikes are not as perfected as the ones on cars yet, but they have come a long way from the old BMW system. Imagine jamming on your brakes and still being able to counter steer your bike out of harms way. Try them out before you decide. They may not be for everyone, but they are the future.

I tried out a Connie with them, and what an amazing difference.

D
ABS is a good thing. But even with it, swerving and braking at the same time is a recipe for a spill.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ABS is a good thing. But even with it, swerving and braking at the same time is a recipe for a spill.
Not always true. You won't be able to turn on a dime, but when your wheels are not locked up, you can maintain control enough to move around objects while braking.

The problem with braking while turning, is the locking of the wheels.

I don't care for linked brakes, because you would be in a jam if you had a blow out, or in any situation where you needed to use just front or rear brakes alone.

D

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
It's not a matter of the wheels being locked or not. If you lock the front wheel, you're going down whether you're swerving or not. But even with ABS, you're consuming the vast majority of the traction available when you're at maximum braking. Adding a swerve into the mix is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety

Traction Control Braking- TCB Brake Systems TM- Traction Control Brakes System

Further research on line reveals mixed reviews and that BMW had problems with their ABS on the 1200. Some sites claim they offer no advantage to breaking distance and that additional training is needed to teach a rider how to benefit from ABS.

As for MHO, I believe they would be a good alternative.

As for the comparison to the HD RK or the BMW R12. Well, it's much more that a few thou.
Very interesting. I read about the TCB system before, but had no idea it was that easy to install. Do you have one on your bike?

D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not a matter of the wheels being locked or not. If you lock the front wheel, you're going down whether you're swerving or not. But even with ABS, you're consuming the vast majority of the traction available when you're at maximum braking. Adding a swerve into the mix is asking for trouble.
True for the most part, but when you are moving fast, and a car turns in front of you, the first two things you do is try to turn and hit your brakes. The wheels lock up, and you go down, (low side)

If the wheels don't lock up, the turning away move you are attempting, has a chance of working. The brakes pump instead of lock, so the bike keeps going in the dirction of the turn, instead of just loosing control.

D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have locked my brakes without going down. There is no cotrol, but you don't have to go down. If you lock the front brakes, the bike looses control, but you can slowly release it, and regain control. Also, you can slide to a stop with out dropping the bike if you have room.

Don't ever release your rear brake once it's locked though. You will go into a high side almost garranteed. I learned that as a kid. I used fly down my street and slam on the rear brake to lay tire.

Once I was showing off to a girl that was watching, and I hit the brake to soon for the effect I was after, so I released, and boom, I went high side. Thank goodness the bike missed me when it flippped.

D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I can tell you from experiance you can't stop my Nomad as fast as a car with anti-lock brakes. Infact a volvo late model station wagon. I had a car pull out of a side street and swing into the volvo which I was behind about 4 cars with a dodge truck in the third lane next to me. When the volvo braked hard I hit my brakes hard mostly the front and the backs still locked up and I thought I was going to lay it down,till the car got back in his lane and the volvo let off the brakes.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have locked both front and rear brakes on my H2 years ago and manage to turn the bike while hopping. But that bike was probally 450 lbs lighter than my Nomad. Plus I was 20 years younger.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I always describe my Nomad as the best bang for the buck in big cruisers. But that stipulation itself suggests there are better bangs out there if you want to pony up the bucks.

So if ABS is a deal-killer move on to another bike ;) Its kinda like folks who must have all the premium dodads found on big dresser style Harleys -if the Nad's lack of such is a deal-killer move on to what you really want 8)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
If I ever buy a new bike it will have antilock brakes also. All 7 street bikes I owned were Kawasaki's. But maybe the next won't be unless they follow suit with Honda,Harley and BMW

1 - 20 of 34 Posts