Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good anti-theft devices for motorcycles? I looked into motorcycle lojack, but that doesnt work until the bike is actually stolen. I know that no motorcycle theft ring would risk it just for a 250, but high school is just a whole different thing. Too many kids that just think about then and now. What would be the best idea for me would be something that just creates an ear shattering noise at any sign of theft. Any ideas?

For now I will just keep looking, thank you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't rely on just noise as a theft deterrent. Personally I'm going to buy a braided steel type chain and a good lock. Hopefully there's something solid to anchor to wherever I park it. Anything else and they can just load it in a van and its gone, alarm or not. Disk brake/caliper lock just keeps them from rolling the front wheel and steering lock only keeps them from steering. The chain just seems more useful to me.

·
1989 Ninja 500 "Myztic"
910 Posts
It's horrible that we have to think about our bikes being stolen all the time. I've had my old car broken into three times, it makes you feel horrible. People need to get a job and buy the things they want instead of taking them from a hard working person. It disgusts me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't rely on just noise as a theft deterrent. Personally I'm going to buy a braided steel type chain and a good lock. Hopefully there's something solid to anchor to wherever I park it. Anything else and they can just load it in a van and its gone, alarm or not. Disk brake/caliper lock just keeps them from rolling the front wheel and steering lock only keeps them from steering. The chain just seems more useful to me.
The reason I want noise is just to get attention. For some reason there is always a school police officer outside school so noise would deffinatly get his attention. And i dont really expect it to be any real theif going after my bike due to the fact that no ones guna mess with a $3500 bike when there is a bmw 7 and bmw 5 parked right next to it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and also my probelm is the bike has a weight of just over 300 pounds. Almost any two guys can pick that thing up and put it into a truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
in NYC 4 guys will hop out the back of a van next to a bike on the street, slide 2x4's through the wheels and lift it away into the truck.

i once saw a nice bike parked at the beach. i leaned over to check out what kind of miles were on it not even 8 inches away from it and it started preloading the alarm. got me away pretty quick and i was just lookin!

Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories by BikeBandit.com

and i highly recommend a disc lock. a chain would be a good idea but i could see that being a real hassle to carry with you.

·
Winter sucks!
875 Posts
I used to not have comprehensive on my ZX-10R (couldn't afford it at the time, so just had Liability). Now that I have comprehensive I feel a lot better about leaving the bike alone. I still keep a super close eye on it, but the peace of mind insurance brings is worth it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
All you can really do is make it as much of a pain in the *** to steal as possible. It's been proven that thieves move on to another target if your property is too much trouble or takes too long. I put brake locks on both wheels and lock the fork. If I ever need to park it in a questionable area, I'll buy one of those heavy duty chain locks and chain it to a pole or something. But, in the end there's only so much you can do to secure an object that can be carried by 2 or 3 men.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
first and foremost have insurance...full coverage. that way you are covered if it gets stolen.
second get disc lock(s) with alarms...they may not make as much noise as a regular alarm, but it will also keep you from riding away with the disc lock on there! Xena disc locks look good and have good reviews...im looking into them myself.
a good heavy chain, cable, or whatever...make sure it is highly rated against snipping! and a good lock...dont skimp. make sure what you chain it to is immoveable and unremovable. such as a light post or steel reinforced concrete pillar.
and a regular alarm with ignition cutoff etc. dont forget to lock the forks also!

might seem like a lot, but 2 or 3 of these will go a long way to deterring a would-be thief. a professional can get it if they want it...thats where insurance comes in. but a casual theif wll look for an easier target most likely.

how much protection are you willing to pay for? you may say "its only a 250" but with gas prices the way they are they are catching premium prices...so dont be surprised if thieves decide to really go for the little bikes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought a disc brake lock because it can't be cut as easy as a chain or cable. Unfortunately no matter what if someone wants it bad enough, there is always a way they will get it. I had people cut through two disc locks on my shed and two kryptonite cables to steal my dirt bike. Now I use the kryptonite d lock through my wheel to a eye bolt I cemented into my floor. Will probably be doing the same thing for the motorcycles.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Hidden electrical switches (fuel pump, primary side of ignition system) may persuade the ride away thief to move on. To protect from ignition switch pull out a covering to limit access might work. Another thing to do at home is keep a hungry dog around and throw some well chewed cow leg bones to give visual warning.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My house is not really the problem, ive got locked garages and everything in there, what im more worried about is that I am planing on riding it to school, which like i said im not worried about any real theifs, really because its not the best idea to go after something in a school with around 4,000 people around. My main concern is just two kids pulling up in a pick up truck and lifting the thing right in there. That is why i primarily am looking into something loud just to get the attention of anyone trying to do something like that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
they used to make a alarm that shocked you but I'm unsure if its still around, it would do a good job keeping them from picking it up atleast. Scorpio makes a alarm that has a key pad that tells you when the alarm has went off, so even if you can't hear it you would atleast know. also xena security has a disc brake lock that is a alarm also, says its 110 db alarm, but i have never used one.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've thought about running wires from capacitor to underside of handgrips. Figure some thief would sue and end up with bike anyway.
Hhmmmm, unless a BIG capacitor was used.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've thought about running wires from capacitor to underside of handgrips. Figure some thief would sue and end up with bike anyway.
Then you could just drag his body over to another car and say I don't know what happened. Would serve him right for trying to steal your property that you work hard to get.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just gotta move to a state where your not aloud to sue for any reason if it involved doing something illegal. I think Arizona is about to pass it, and there is one other state that already has it passed.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Overnight at a motel? I run a cable through the rear wheel and over the seat, lock the fork, and use a disc lock.

Normal, everyday stops? Most I'll typically do is park it between two Harleys.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I used to not have comprehensive on my ZX-10R (couldn't afford it at the time, so just had Liability). Now that I have comprehensive I feel a lot better about leaving the bike alone. I still keep a super close eye on it, but the peace of mind insurance brings is worth it.
no doubt on the comprehensive, i used to worry all the time with my zx6r, then i got comprehensive and didnt worry as much. the zx6r still has comp on it but the zx10r doesnt like you said TOO EXPENSIVE. it added like 150 a month

1 - 20 of 29 Posts