Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so torn between the custom and the classic, I really like both but don't know if i'm willing to sacrafice a little amount of comfort for the looks of the custom (I really love the the candy lime green!) <- not joking it looks amazing in person. Are there any custom owners that sometimes wish they had gone down the classic route?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I have a 1500 classic. When I have the urge to look more cool, I take off the windshield, bags, sissy bar and pass' seat. I ride around a while and until I realize why I like the classic.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You gotta ride what you like and fits your desires. Imagine how boring it would be if we all rode classics.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Just an opinion & I'm not dissing anyone's choice of bikes. It's an image issue. If all want is the look, go Custom. If you want a bike that looks more like a real motorcycle by all means go with the Classic. That look will be around for a long time. When the chopper/custom fad subsides, you will long for a Classic. If you intend to travel any distance, the Classic is the better option. Of course, it remains your choice.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"When the chopper/custom fad subsides,"....................wow, I can't imagine that happening anytime soon.

·
Southern by Heart
529 Posts
Just an opinion & I'm not dissing anyone's choice of bikes. It's an image issue. If all want is the look, go Custom. If you want a bike that looks more like a real motorcycle by all means go with the Classic. That look will be around for a long time. When the chopper/custom fad subsides, you will long for a Classic. If you intend to travel any distance, the Classic is the better option. Of course, it remains your choice.
IMO there all real looking motorcycles its just a matter of design issues by all means the custom is not really a custom bike take a look these are custom bikes

this is great looking normal bike

thats just my opinion

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
I can't really say because I have only been my 900LT for a few months now. However, I just LOVED the look of the Custom and really wanted one!!! A friend got the Custom and let me ride it one day. Although it was exciting to ride, I felt so much more comfortable when I rode the LT. I like having the floorboards to rest my feet on, the windshield and bags. Of course, hubby and I like to travel distances on our bikes, so I was also looking for that comfort for those long rides.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Not me. I probably would't have a 900 if it werent for the custom.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I love the look of the Custom, but I'm using the bike for back and forth to work every day and even needed to add the luggage rack for when I go down to the local farmers market. Ever try to put a cantaloupe in a saddlebag? It just don't fit. Store all the stuff for trips or my lunch in the Saddlebags and still run around with a backpack for going to the gym. I could probably stick the lunch in my backpack and eliminate the need for saddlebags most of the time, but that makes it a pain to haul those flavored waters I drink to work.

The other thing is, during the summer, I clean the windshield if not every day, every other day. There were so darn many bugs this year I'm telling ya. I'd be green before I got to the end of my housing complex.

But, if it weren't for those reasons, I would have bought the Custom. It are one fine lookin bike. I'm going to take the windshield off next summer for a couple rides, see what it's like to actually use those vents in my helmet.

I just think of it like I do my van. Man I'd love a higher performance sports car. But where would I haul the groceries and my kids stuff when they move and my model airplanes?

Face it, can't really go wrong, they're all great bikes.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
I don't regret getting the Custom at all. I sat on a Classic but never rode one, so I can't really comment on comfort differences other than to say I'm plenty comfortable on the Custom. As for the "custom fad" going away, I think that's just plain silly. The retro, classic look could just as easily fall by the wayside...some might argue it's due.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you want a bike that looks like all other classics out there, go for the classic, it's a nice bike, but if you want something unique, get the custom. All the people that have seen my bike thinks it looks great!.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
not me
I love the layout of the controls on my custom, and the 21" wheel in front.
The classic has better options for AM seats, and looks better with a flyscreen than the custom does. Hmmm..how would the Classic look with drag bars on it? (or... you could split the difference and go with a meanie)

There are many sweet specimens of both bikes on this board. Go with your gut.

good luck!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I wouldn't have traded my VN750 in on a Classic. No offense meant to Classic owners, I just prefer the narrow front tire look. I fell in love with my Custom the moment I saw it on the showroom floor.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Not me. I probably would't have a 900 if it werent for the custom.

+1. The classics are fine looking machines but if it werent for the custom i wouldnt have a 900.

If all want is the look, go Custom. If you want a bike that looks more like a real motorcycle by all means go with the Classic. That look will be around for a long time. When the chopper/custom fad subsides, you will long for a Classic. If you intend to travel any distance, the Classic is the better option. Of course, it remains your choice.
I really could not disagree more. The custom is every bit as functional, you just have to buy the bags and the shield. With the exception of the 900's crap seat, this bike easily handles long runs every bit as well as the classic. The main reason being, its pretty much the same bike.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts