Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
cruisin'
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,
My '03 Nomad is a pleasure to ride, but I have wondered about the clangyness the motor makes at times. It's not annoying, but wonder if there's a cure out there. From what I've read, it's the intake solenoids making all the racket, and not an actual "engine" noise. I don't hear anything unusual coming from the engine itself, but rather from behind the air cleaner area. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW....the Cobra duals have been ordered and are on the way.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
From what I have read on this forum...it is all pretty normal. It will go away when you put on the pipes, because you won't hear it. You should try my 96 1500 with dragsters. Even with the exhaust noise there are all kinds of pops and thumps going on down there. Just a nature of the beast. I have learned to ignore it and ride.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Louder exhaust....that will cure it. Actually, you can disconnect the solenoids. My understanding is that they are there for idle speeds but when I did the caddman mod on my mean streak, I disconnected them and do not miss the noise and just use the fast idle until it warms up.

·
cruisin'
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa, wait. You mean I can disconnect those loud things and it's ok? How do I do that?

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Whoa, wait. You mean I can disconnect those loud things and it's ok? How do I do that?

Yes you can, but it would be best to do the Caddmann mod or install an aftermarket intake when you do.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi gang,
My '03 Nomad is a pleasure to ride, but I have wondered about the clangyness the motor makes at times. It's not annoying, but wonder if there's a cure out there. From what I've read, it's the intake solenoids making all the racket, and not an actual "engine" noise. I don't hear anything unusual coming from the engine itself, but rather from behind the air cleaner area. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.
you only hear the solenoids when the motor is cold. after warmed up the solenoids do nothing, unless you are riding in cold weather. then they will run alot..
taking the solenoids out will cause rough idle or the bike won't idea when cold...theres a fix on gadgets page for it.

as far as noise goes,,its a kawasaki.. it normal...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi gang,
Are those the Cobra "True Duels" that you ordered? If so, when they are installed, would you let me/us know what you think. I have been thinking about getting a set but I would like other opinions (how loud & what tone) before I make the move. Thanks!

·
cruisin'
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yup,Cobra true duals. They should be here by next weekend. I'll let you know.

Thanks...

·
Registered
963 Posts
I put the cobra true duals on my Nomad not long before I sold it. They were pretty mellow sounding, not loud and obnoxious at all.....and they looked good.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts