Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovered my ZN700 is from CA, was woundering if the only difference is the emmissions. Did both versions have the canister with vaccume lines to the tank? What is it for and do i need it? Just curious.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
That is the only difference.

The tank vents to a vapor separator. This is literally a little can with an inlet and an outlet on top, and another outlet on the side, with a small diaphragm pump on the bottom. The separator gets vapor from the tank, then returns any liquid fuel that collects back to the tank. The outlet feeds into a charcoal cannister, which in turn vents back into the intake manifold.

I removed the cannister and plugged the line to the manifold, but left the vapor separator in place. I only removed it because I needed the room under my side cover for the garage door opener.

There is no impact on performance with it being there.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discovered my ZN700 is from CA, was woundering if the only difference is the emmissions. Did both versions have the canister with vaccume lines to the tank? What is it for and do i need it? Just curious.
A problem that you may have with the charcoal canister is that if you fill the gas tank up too high, the gas can back up into the hoses for the canister and cause a suction problem. That was the problem with my Rebel when I had it. Fill the bike up on the side stand and don't fill it up into the neck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I removed the cannister and plugged the line to the manifold, but left the vapor separator in place. I only removed it because I needed the room under my side cover for the garage door opener.

There is no impact on performance with it being there.
Awesome, I was thinking storage space for my disc lock, spare fuses, etc.
mostly, I'm just glad it isn't something else that could go bad and cost me to loose some cash and road time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A problem that you may have with the charcoal canister is that if you fill the gas tank up too high, the gas can back up into the hoses for the canister and cause a suction problem. That was the problem with my Rebel when I had it. Fill the bike up on the side stand and don't fill it up into the neck.
thanks, thats good advise. I did fill up to far last time and could smell gas from under the seat when i parked. (every odd sound/smell gets investigated) nothing leaking just smelled bad. I thought this sounded like a stupid question when I typed it up, but I honestly couldn't find any info about it anywhere.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
If you do eliminate the cannister, take the line that went to it and reroute it so it exits out the bottom down by the radiator overflow.
I've topped mine all the way to the brim and never seen any fuel drip out, BUT, I don't top it that far unless I'm on the move. If it's going to be parked for more than a few minutes, especially in hot weather, I stop just above the baffle.
I can get about an extra half gallon in by topping it all the way... been more than once I've put 5.4 gallons in the 5.3 gallon tank :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts