Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Alaska Grown
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I totaled my bike last summer and promised the wife I would get her a deck for the house with the insurance money if I could get any bike I wanted next year. Well she seems to have gotten the better of the deal because finances have changed and I can still get a bike but the price of a 900 Lt may be the limit now and I was hoping for a nomad or a 2K.

With that said my question is: are there any modifications on the 2010 vulcan 900 Lt that would make it worth getting rather than getting a new 2009 sitting on the floor now? I can get a 2009 from the dealer now for $7999 but if there were any updates to the 2010 worth paying for I would get one. If the only difference is color than I will go with a 2009.

Too bad there are not really many places to buy a bike up here.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Yeah I believe the color is the only diff.
Now the classic/classic lt have been out since 2006 so I wouldn't recommend buying a new one. As you know the value goes down and maybe in 2011 they will come up with totally new models. You can find a used for lots less that still looks new with very low miles.

·
Brentwood, TN
17 Posts
I believe the list price went up for 2010 as well as color changes. Many dealers will make you a very good price on a last years model. May not be at 2009 used price but should not be original 2009 list because when you ride it out of the showroom it is a 2009 used bike.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
^^^ Agree
Even if only 10 miles it will be considered a one year old used bike.

If you end up buying a 2009 make sure you buy it for way less than what the list price is for the 2009 models. Oh and that's including the TTL fees and maybe including some warranty as well.

·
Alaska Grown
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jimbo but by time you add shipping I would be close tot he price of a new 2009. I did make the dealer an offer based on prices I saw online and he would not budge.

I don't like not owning a bike, I feel incomplete!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Polar Rider, remember your money is green and spends all the time all day. So if that guy wont come off the price look around maybe someonelse will. Borrow a friends phone give him a call and see what he would give you for a 09 trade with very low miles. That will give you an idea of what they are worth. lol
I just looked at craigs list for AK. In Healy a guy has a 01 dyna with 16k miles for $7k. AN 06 Honda 1100 for 6K So definatly shop around. Or you could buy the one from the guy in Seattle and ride it back up, road trip!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
When I was at the show last month I noticed the kickstand was painted black....when did they change that from chrome like on my '07?

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 2009 SE was 8499 msrp, I picked it up in june for $7200. of course I did end up buying the warranties and still had to pay tax title, license and freight. but still not a bad deal.

Id imagine you could pick up a 09 fairly cheap since the dealers has been sitting on it for a while and prolly needs to get it out the door.

·
Old enough to know better
40 Posts
Mine was about the same as yours Nowak. Tag price on my '09 was $7,199, plus state taxes but no dealer prep or anything else tacked on that was mandatory.

The one Polar Rider is looking at for 7999 seems a bit steep, but then again it's all about supply and demand. My dealer in September was probably trying to clear out the showroom floor to make way for all the winter sports stuff coming in. Now, the spring riding season is approaching again so maybe that's why the dealer is holding out some. Good luck, Polar!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Last May 09 I found and bought a new leftover 06 v2k for $9,995.00.Wich I thought was a pretty good deal.They even put on for me a cobra tall passenger back rest for no extra cost with some perswasion.

·
Alaska Grown
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good input, thanks

Just to be clear it is the Classic LT that is $7999. The regular Classic is available for $6999. The SE, when he had one, was a bit cheaper. Problem is there is no other dealers around here and with all the guys coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan with money burning a hole in their pocket, the dealer can afford to wait for them in the spring.

I think I would have been all over that 06 V2K deal !!

·
Playday Rider
244 Posts
I have a 2007and the specs for my 2007 are all exactly the same as the 2010. Kawasaki just isn't into changing something that already works well. The vulcan 900 is a great bike! Over 13,000 miles and still runs like new.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Get used. Almost always a better deal to do! I have no idea where you are at in Alaska, so I just did a Craigslist search in Anchorage.

08 kawasaki vulcan 1500 classic

It's the only one there, but I'm sure there are others. That's $2k less for a bigger bike. For $2K, you can get a better shield, saddle, saddlebags, sissybar, engine guards, etc than you'd ever get on the LT...and have cash to spare!

BTW, I personally recommend skipping LTs all together for the reason listed above. For the price difference, you can typically get higher quality aftermarket options for less. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I also have to agree on the LT issue. I bought my classic as I liked the color (carribian blue) did not like the LT options particularly silver black or red silver. Also looking at the bags I felt they were going to be to small for what I wanted. So I went as big as I could get. River Road XL slants. Also not keen on all the gussy stuff little chrome what nots on seat and every flat surface it seemed. Studs just dont do it for me. but thats whats nice about this motorsport, everyone can chose and we all get together and have a beverage of choice and talk about it.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
The only difference I can "see" is the 2010's have a black oil cap and kick stand..........
And why the heck would you want those parts black on that bike? Sometimes these fads (blacked out, for example) just get overused and abused. Buy a gently used one!

I have to qualify that I love Trashman's and others I can't think of that have customized their rides with a "blacked out" look. I just think it's silly if there's lots of other chrome on the bike...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.