Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i can fix cars, trucks, helicopters and more.. but not so much in the two wheeled fashion.. this is my problem. I have an 88 KX125. when i got it, it ran- correctly. It started great, ran great, although my only trip on it was brief due to the ice and snow. Anyway, after my first glorious trip, i returned the next day and couldn't get the bike to start.. i assumed it was out of gas because it was pretty low. more gas added... Finally after extensive kicking, the bike started,.. sounded good.. went to take off after it warmed up, and it died.. lunged a little, but had no power. hmm.. not good... tried several times more, and the same thing happened.. no go.. this went on, every few days, tinkering and testing,.. nothing worked.. until one day, i was kicking over and it backfired on me and the kick start kicked back at my foot... i thought that was odd.. kicked it again,... started like a champ. sounded better than ever. I put it into first and slowly let off the clutch,. ... and wouldn't you know it, i started going backwards!.. hmm.. that just doesn't seem right,.. i didn't know they had reverse...??... so anyway, i'm sure it's got to be timing,.. i figured it jumped a few teeth on the gears, but i've been informed that the timing is completely electrical... so i'm completely dumb to this.. If anyone could help me out in any way on this, that would be awesome. anything i could check to pinpoint the problem or if you are sure something is jacked up, i just need to know.. it's getting nice and the dirt is calling me... help if you can,.. many thanks, tony

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Reverse gear ?

Thats one I haven't heard before, looking at tearing the tranny apart to find what the heck happened there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couldn't the piston run backwards?? When it backfired, it could have jarred it enough to make it run completely backwards?... I've been told this is possible, at least on older bikes. I think this is what happened, now to correct it. Well, if anyone knows what the heck all this is about, please send any help my way.. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, if the timing is to close to TDC, the bike can just as easily run backwards as forwards. It would also be a bear to start. I would be checking the screws that hold the stator in place and reset the timing.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
i want to let you know this is COMPLETELY and ABSOLUTELY POSSIBLE. its a 2-stroke so it is ABLE TO RUN BACKWARDS WITHOUT A PROBLEM. you have no problems there. the backfire caused the piston to kick over backwards and it started. :wink:
have you tried starting the bike again ? you are running PRE-MIX right (32:1 oil/gas mix) :?:
the only thing that MAY have happened with the backfire is you sheared off the DRIFT KEY that holds the stator in the right position on the crank snout.
try starting it again and see if it starts. if it backfires more then i would pull the stator off and make sure its keyed correctly.
good luck

·
Registered
191 Posts
i second that!! old time open class bikes were notorious for starting backwards. espeically the yz490s. if you dont kick em right they enough upf to kick your arse off the bike and have the engine run backwards. never heard a kx125 do it, but yes its possible. older bikes had adjustable stator plates, i dont think the 88kx125 does, like qkenuf4u said make sure its keyed correctly. I would check everything out. where your carb bolts to the cylinder pull that assembly apart and check the reed cage and make sure the reeds are in good condition. Make sure your plug, wire and coil are good and make sure your coils ground point(the frame) is clean. There is really not all that much to two stroke engines just a matter of narrowing things down a bit. qkenuf4u gave you the culprit more then likely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts